daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #3201
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

But that exit isn't even on an interstate, it's on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, a National Park Service road. It parallels I-95 several km to the southeast.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #3202
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

New section of Interstate opened Thursday, 2008-10-30

A 2 km long section of I-99 opened over Skytop (at the crest of Bald Eagle Ridge) just west of State College, PA on Thursday, 2008-10-30, with two lanes (1x2) now available for use. Completion of this section was delayed about three years when a sizable deposit of highly acidic iron pyrite (upwards of 1 million m^3) was discovered and had to be removed and cleaned up. The other two lanes should be open by the end of November.

See:
http://www.centredaily.com/116/story/935167.html

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #3203
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

They say that, but I'm pretty sure the real reason was an excuse to shuffle more federal cash toward Pennsyltucky.

Freakin' I-99. I'm not one of those rabid anti-pork types but this was about as blatant as it gets.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #3204
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

HAWC1506, congratulations on rejecting Dino Rossi and defeating Initiative 985! These elections, Washington state has shown its progressive side on all accounts
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #3205
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
HAWC1506, congratulations on rejecting Dino Rossi and defeating Initiative 985! These elections, Washington state has shown its progressive side on all accounts
Why thank you :] It was truly a memorable election. I would call it America's Great Awakening of the 21st Century. I am very very happy that people in Washington has been shaken up by current problems and has finally come to their senses. I can't wait to see what will happen next year.

Hopefully, we'll start to see some real motorways in Washington haha
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #3206
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Why was the "Initiative 985" rejected?

* Opening HOV/carpool lanes to all vehicles during non-peak hours, where "non-peak" is defined as any time outside of 6-9am and 3-6pm on Mondays through Fridays.
* Requiring local governments to synchronize traffic lights on heavily-traveled arterials and streets.
* Clearing out accidents faster with expanded emergency roadside assistance, which would be funded by vehicle sales tax revenues.
* Restricting toll usage such that they can only be used on the freeway or bridge being tolled, with any surplus revenue to be redirected to other congestion relief efforts in the state.

Seems like a good idea to me.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #3207
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Several Interstates closed due to blizzards:

Quote:
A wintry blast of punishing wind and close to 4 feet of snow in places pummeled the Northern Plains on Thursday, stranding unknown numbers of motorists for a day or more and knocking out power to thousands.

State officials said some people could be without power for days, but they had a simple message for anyone thinking of trying to drive in western South Dakota's blizzard: Don't.

A long stretch of Interstate 90 was closed, and Rounds said most of the dozens of vehicles stranded along the stretch of highway had not been moved. Some have been stranded for more than 24 hours, he said, adding that search teams can't get to them because of zero visibility.

"We cannot see a thing in many areas where we're out actually searching for people," said Tom Dravland, state Public Safety secretary, who added that the top speed for some rescue crews was as little as a half-mile per hour.

In some towns, residents reported drifts were blocking their doorways, and in the southwestern corner of the state, 20-foot snowdrifts were reported on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

The storm also closed Interstate 80 in eastern Wyoming and western Nebraska.
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #3208
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Why was the "Initiative 985" rejected?

* Opening HOV/carpool lanes to all vehicles during non-peak hours, where "non-peak" is defined as any time outside of 6-9am and 3-6pm on Mondays through Fridays.
* Requiring local governments to synchronize traffic lights on heavily-traveled arterials and streets.
* Clearing out accidents faster with expanded emergency roadside assistance, which would be funded by vehicle sales tax revenues.
* Restricting toll usage such that they can only be used on the freeway or bridge being tolled, with any surplus revenue to be redirected to other congestion relief efforts in the state.

Seems like a good idea to me.
You obviously didn't drive on Seattle's motorways during the so-called "off-peak" hours They can be jammed like hell at any random time of the day. Tim Eyman argued that since everyone pays taxes, HOV lanes must be open for everyone. He wrote that he felt bad for all those lonely drivers sitting in a traffic jam next to the free fast lane used by those lucky bastards who managed to scramble an extra person. Yeah, lonely drivers' rights were violated Well, welcome to the 21st century. Waste is discouraged and conservation is encouraged. That's why we have HOV lanes.

I-985 would also divert the funds from public transit projects to widen motorways and synchronise the traffic lights. Again, it's a 21st century in which many countries are switching from individual driving to public transport, and the Washington government is intended to move along the progress. Diverting money from public transit to encourage driving is a giant step backward. Plus, Eymans' plans would still end up with $600 million deficit.

Chris, it seems that you don't favour public transportation and quite like to engage in rather long distance joy rides, so you may not get the point I am trying to make.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #3209
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I didn't know about the funding. But the synchronizing of traffic lights is a good idea for instance, that doesn't cost a lot of money.
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #3210
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
US-85 in South Dakota between mile 56.57 and 87.47

Report:

Road conditions as of 4:16 AM CST on Friday, November 7: snow covered; scattered snow drifts; winter maintenance suspended; NO TRAVEL ADVISED. Actual road conditions may vary from this report. Motorists are cautioned to be alert to changing conditions.
I-90 is closed for 332 miles! (534 km)

Quote:
I-90 in South Dakota between mile 84.24 and 110.98

Report:

ENFORCED ROAD CLOSURE; ROAD CLOSED on I-90 between milepost 0.00 and 332.17 from 1:45 AM CST on Thursday, November 6, 2008 until further notice. Road conditions as of 5:42 AM CST on Friday, November 7: deep drifting snow; snow drifts; visibility less than one half mile; scattered blowing snow; ROAD BLOCKED. Actual road conditions may vary from this report. Motorists are cautioned to be alert to changing conditions.
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #3211
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The Netherlands: sunny, few clouds, dry, 12C/54F
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #3212
radiant_city
Bisy Backson

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Service station on the left with an ill-advised attempt at hiding a cell phone tower...
image hosted on flickr
That is actually a picture of the Hutchinson River Parkway in Westchester County in New York state... which admittedly becomes the Merritt when it crosses the state line nearby, so I can see how you arrived at that.

CT Route 15-- the Merritt Parkway (in Fairfield County) and the Wilbur Cross Parkway (its extension into New Haven County) has been my back yard (more or less; a large regional mall separates us from the road) for most of my life. IMNTLBHO it is the textbook definition of a parkway: part highway, part parkland (though it's illegal to actually picnic along the shoulder).

Here's a book that explains how the Merritt came into being. I'm reading it now; there are lots of pictures of its construction and of the Art Deco designed bridges that fly over it.
radiant_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #3213
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
It's the government agency that listens in on your phone calls and monitors (along with the FBI) any organization that advocates (no matter how peacefully) progressive social and economic changes.
And I do hope you thank them in their efforts to protect the country.
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #3214
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Here are 2 shots of Palisades Parkway I made this summer:

It's the most scenic route I've driven in the NYC area. It runs through thick forests, there are trees in the median, old, beautiful bridges and the pavement is very good compared to NY standards

...and here's one of Garden State Parkway. The road itself looks very different in different sections. In urban NY area it is just another concrete monster with up to 12 lanes in total. In the NJ costal section it is 2x4 to divide into 2 express + 3 local for about 25 miles long section. Finally, it goes into scenic 2x2 with a 100m wide forest median
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #3215
REYMAN
Me alivio de tu control

Likes (Received): 8

Is the Arroyo Seco Parkway in Los Angeles, CA technically a Parkway?

I ask this beacuse it has a state route/freeway number on it (110)

and well...over in Southern California there are no parkways just freeways.

Maybe that's not the case if the 110 is truly a parkway.

......VARELA desde 1982
REYMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3216
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Parkways are not necessarily freeway grade roads.
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #3217
REYMAN
Me alivio de tu control

Likes (Received): 8

ah ok...interesting. THX!

......VARELA desde 1982
REYMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3218
HwyIsraelFreak

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
...and here's one of Garden State Parkway... In urban NY area it is just another concrete monster with up to 12 lanes in total.
Actually, even in northern NJ, the Parkway is much more scenic than the other highways. The rustic color barriers and signposts give it an older feeling, and 7/8 of the time it is surrounded by trees. Plus the speed limit is 65 mph, which only is allowed in New Jersey in rural areas.
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #3219
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
The Blue Ridge Parkway runs through the Appalachian Mountains, specifically the Blue Ridge, and spans North Carolina and Virginia. It is the longest and narrowest National Park in the world. It is also world famous for its beauty with such sites as the Linn Cove Viaduct, Linville Falls, Mt. Mitchell, Maybry Mill, Pilot Mt., and numerous small farms.

Blue Ridge Parkway

Linn Cove Viaduct

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtkonrad/2928548031/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/phatmax95/390623783/

Linville Falls
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwblack/56163425/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/djbiesack/1142851671/

Mount Mitchell
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobistraveling/2725386692/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2358756648/

Mabry Mill
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hitmanjf/212122428/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstephenconn/2892381225/

Pilot Mountain
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdraggin/2815988228/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/melissa...ns/2062722823/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrysphatpage/2517474837/

Blue Ridge Parkway Stone Arch Bridges
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4846579...n/photostream/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1120362620/

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2452595217/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/eddiehuff/108545910/

Last edited by WeimieLvr; November 7th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #3220
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I didn't know about the funding. But the synchronizing of traffic lights is a good idea for instance, that doesn't cost a lot of money.
It is already being done in several cities. There are cities that need them, and others that don't need to. It would be money down the drain to try and synchronise lights in let's say...Yakima, where traffic volume is low and flows nicely already.

Eyman used his own personal judgement to support his initiative, with absolutely no support or input from state transportation engineers. He is not a professional engineer and has not been trained in this field. Therefore, personally I do not think he has the credibility to make judgements on how the interstate is run. You can have opinions (like most of us on this forum), but you cannot put yourself above professional traffic engineers.

If passed, HOV lanes would be opened to all traffic not only during non-peak hours, but also during MOST of the peak hours. In addition, federal funding for Washington state would also have been cut because the direct-access HOV ramps on the left side of the freeway are only approved for carpool traffic (to minimise the effects of having a left-side exit). So if the carpool lane is opened up, the feds may decide to cut funds for many HOV projects, which is a stupid move because Washington desperately needs infrastructure improvements.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban