daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #3261
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

But why just Georgia?

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #3262
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
There is no such thing as a specific classification for all parkways in the US; they're really just a name. In New York, they're all grade-separated and access controlled (what we'd call a freeway elsewhere in the country). Meanwhile, in Georgia, they're just a nice name for a street. Same as in Texas, where usually they're a divided highway.

The US is different from Europe in that there aren't legally defined classes of highways beyond speed control. Even I-180 in Cheyenne, Wyoming is simply a boulevard.
Ok, I assumed what I wrote after Tom had written that "trucks are stuck with alternates that are slow, circuitous, congested, and/or relatively unsafe".
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #3263
plcmat

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
There is no such thing as a specific classification for all parkways in the US; they're really just a name. In New York, they're all grade-separated and access controlled (what we'd call a freeway elsewhere in the country). Meanwhile, in Georgia, they're just a nice name for a street. Same as in Texas, where usually they're a divided highway.

The US is different from Europe in that there aren't legally defined classes of highways beyond speed control. Even I-180 in Cheyenne, Wyoming is simply a boulevard.
Kind of - the Saw Mill River Parkway doesn't have driveways, but it has some side streets and stoplights, even though most of it is accessed controlled.

In Boston a parkway is generally a divided highway but not limited access. Sometimes not even divided (ie Mystic Valley) but generally multi-lane.

I wonder if the word parkway derives from the fact that most of them have a median that is usually greenspace.
plcmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #3264
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Bleh. Those East Coast parkways look nice. We here in Fond Du Lac only have the Ducharme Parkway, a little two lane street that passes some UWFDL(University of Wisconsin- Fond Du Lac) owned natural area. woooOOOoo.
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #3265
GTR22
お好み焼き!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
But why just Georgia?
Its not just Georgia, in California, Parkways are usually wide avenues that cut through some suburban city, not the freeway things in the East Coast.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #3266
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
But why just Georgia?
Georgia is certainly not the only place where use of the "parkway" designation isn't regulated and can be used for naming roadways of various quality. I have seen parkways all over the U.S. that turned out to be just a plain city street.

In Atlanta, there were a couple of streets that were so rough and decadent that the street name became synonomous with danger, crime, drugs and/or prostitution - Stuart Avenue and Bankhead Highway. In an effort to revitalize the areas and mask the attached name stigma, Stuart Ave was renamed Metropolitan Parkway and Bankhead Hwy was renamed Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway.

Neither is anywhere near what someone would imagine a parkway to look like, but I'm sure there are other cases of cities doing this for the same reason.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #3267
Timon91
Error

Thanks for the explanation Georgia is the only state that I've been to where it really took my attention.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #3268
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 914

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #3269
Timon91
Error

I posted it here a while ago. Good photoshop
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #3270
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #3271
Timon91
Error

Someone probably got a brainwave, created this, and showed us how the A2 near Abcoude will look like in 2040
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #3272
gannman1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
He hasn't drove on any of motorways in the US. If Chris thinks drivers from Wallonia region of Belgium are bad and scary, just wait till he sees US drivers in suburban Baltimore or most places.
And that's no joke!
gannman1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3273
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post

Been there : it's a fotoshopped San Diego Freeway, with at the left the tram terminal for the Getty Center in LA !
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #3274
radiant_city
Bisy Backson

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcmat View Post
I wonder if the word parkway derives from the fact that most of them have a median that is usually greenspace.
My understanding is that not only the median but the expanses on either side would be wooded or park-maintained in order for it to be a canonical "parkway"... part park, part highway.

Of course, as we see in Georgia, the intent can be stretched in practice. Even in metro New York, some of the parkways are fairly, um, developed and the views aren't quite so bucolic as we might see on the Palisades, the Taconic, or the Merritt. The main differentiation for parkways in metro NYC seems to be that trucks and/or lorries aren't allowed on them-- they need to use the so-called Expressways.
radiant_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #3275
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

21 lanes, and traffic is still heavy.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #3276
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
21 lanes, and traffic is still heavy.
won't surprise me if the U.S. keeps its current way of 'solving' traffic problems...
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #3277
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyView View Post
Been there : it's a fotoshopped San Diego Freeway, with at the left the tram terminal for the Getty Center in LA !
What tram at the Getty Centre? There's the thing they call a tram but that isn't it.

What I don't get with Interstates is how they didn't realise that the NE would need more numbers than what was assigned. I-45 was a mistake to number it that, as was I-70, which is about halfway down the country west of St Louis and about 60% of the way up from Indianapolis. Unfortunately both US 50 and US 60 run through Missouri, so either of those numbers are out due to the rules.

What would have worked better would be to have somewhere Central, like St Louis, as the start point. That way there'd be no US/I number conflicts in the middle of the country and numbers wouldn't need to be deleted (save maybe on opposite coasts), nor out of place

I-0x: 33% (4, 5, 8) not helped by I-10 being close to the coast/border.
I-1x: 60% (0, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9)
I-2x: 60% (0, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I-3x: 40% (0, 5, 7, 9) not helped by I-45 being so close to I-35, nor I-30 being close between I-20 and I-40
I-4x: 50% (0, 3, 4, 5, 9)
I-5x: 30% (5, 7, 9) US route conflicts - note no even numbers
I-6x: 50% (4, 5, 6, 8, 9)
I-7x: 110% (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 9) - note not counting I-74 twice
I-8x: 130% (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9)
I-9x: 80% (0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9)

As you can see, there's a clumping in the I-70 to I-99 range leaving only 2 numbers spare (92, 98) and having 4 duplicates. Clearly there should have been a bit better distribution of numbers so that this didn't happen. OK, part of the problem is lots of one-state interstates in this grouping (both I-88s for instance, and ignoring a few miles, the I-86s and I-76s). The US routes/Interstates can't have the the same number in the same state rule is part of the problem, and also rather excessive, given many countries' habit of having motorway and national road going along the same corridor with the same number.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #3278
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

What about Interstate 74 and U.S 74? Don't they share the same pavement somewhere?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #3279
sotonsi

They do now, where I-74 is south of I-40. It seems rather silly that both I-73 and I-74 have to have lots of shared sections and diverge lots. As I-74 in Virginia is I-77, it seems odd that I-74 in NC and SC couldn't be I-3x, or make US 74 in NC (which is becoming freeway east of I-26) I-28 and the I-77 to I-73 section of I-74 a 3-digit number.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #3280
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

California State Route 237 signed as Interstate 237

http://wwtl.info/tmp/1411/ <= video
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban