daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #3321
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

I could be completely wrong about this, but...

I think the slotted signs are used to combat blinding glare from large reflective surfaces. The use of slotted versus standard signs seems random, but I think it has to do with how severe the problem is at a given location, which is apparently harder to predict than one would think. IOW, I think this type of signage was retrofitted in locations where glare was a big problem, and perhaps used preemptively where it may not have been strictly necessary. Better safe than sorry.

Alabama is the only place I remember seeing this type of sign, though the problem obviously exists literally everywhere the sun shines.

The signs are actually painted a dark, nonreflective green, though it might as well be black-- IOW, it's not just an illusion of photography. The risk of motorist confusion due to incorrect sign color is trivial compared to the risk of motorists being unable to see the road or the vehicles on it due to glare.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #3322
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Hmmm I have to say, I do like the colours. I prefer a lighter shade of blue, but it's better than the boring green. There's more contrast, and from the pictures, it looks easier to see.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3323
HAWC1506

Does anyone have pictures of Washington highways that they would be willing to let me use for an article on Washington infrastructure?
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #3324
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Big Dig easing traffic bottlenecks in city; but commuters still sitting in traffic longer
16 November 2008

BOSTON (AP) - The Big Dig has been easing Boston's once-notorious bottlenecks, but many commuters are still sitting in traffic longer.

A Boston Globe analysis of state highway data shows that while driving through Boston has improved from the days of the old elevated Central Artery, in many cases the traffic congestion has simply been pushed out of the city.

The worst traffic tie-up is along I-93 northbound during the evening commute.

In 1994, before the Big Dig tunnels were dug, it took an average 12 minutes at peak evening rush hour to go the 11 miles from the Zakim Bridge to Route 128 in Woburn.

Now is takes twice as long, about 25 minutes.

Traffic is also about three minutes slower during the evening commute on the Southeast Expressway.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #3325
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

What would've happened if there hadn't been a Big Dig? Would it take an hour to make the commute?
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3326
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
To compare; the Channel Tunnel between England and France had a 80% cost overrun, and is by far not profitable.
its not fair to expext "enterprise profit" from infrastructure projects...

- tolls distracts users so it is not fully exploited...

- a private enterprise has to pay tax which is expense not an income

- in case of a goverment (budget) financed project there are many income (what a private ent. couldt realise) and there are less expenses:

- budget has to pay no tax on tolls... (b/c there are no toll)
- budget has to pay no enterprise tax... (b/c it is not a forprofit enterprise it is a government investment...)
- for budget the extra taxes from the infrastructre generated economy and traffic increase are INCOME (and NOT income for a private enterprise)

of course this doesnt mean that EVERY huge megalomanic infrastructure project is profitable for tax payers, it only means that the budget has large vantage on private forprofit enterprises...

Last edited by H123Laci; November 30th, 2008 at 10:12 AM.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #3327
Timon91
Error

It really did help. It's a big improvement IMO. When traffic increases a little, the number of jams can increase a lot. See what happened on some motorways in the Netherlands where the traffic just increased a little over the last few years, but jams that have never been there before is daily business now.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #3328
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
In 1994, before the Big Dig tunnels were dug, it took an average 12 minutes at peak evening rush hour to go the 11 miles from the Zakim Bridge to Route 128 in Woburn.

12 minutes for 11 miles (18km) is a luxury. 25 minutes is still not bad, my previous commute took 30 minutes for 6 miles.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #3329
Timon91
Error

I found a cool pic of the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge on my computer, taken from Bunker Hill this summer by me

[IMG]http://i38.************/e6w2ug.jpg[/IMG]

-edit- I found another one:

[IMG]http://i38.************/2rdi2iv.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #3330
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
its not fair to expext "enterprise profit" from infrastructure projects...

- tolls distracts users so it is not fully exploited...

- a private enterprise has to pay tax which is expense not an income

- in case of a goverment (budget) financed project there are many income (what a private ent. couldt realise) and there are less expenses:

- budget has to pay no tax on tolls... (b/c there are no toll)
- budget has to pay no enterprise tax... (b/c it is not a forprofit enterprise it is a government investment...)
- for budget the extra taxes from the infrastructre generated economy and traffic increase are INCOME (and NOT income for a private enterprise)

of course this doesnt mean that EVERY huge megalomanic infrastructure project is profitable for tax payers, it only means that the budget has large vantage on private forprofit enterprises...
We have the same issue in Denmark about the bridge between east Germany and east Denmark. Is it profitable or just a lot of money from the taxpayers which is going to desapear in the baltic sea. like 50 billion DKK (okay the half is from Germany)
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #3331
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-395 in Baltimore, Maryland.

The I-395 is a short expressway in the city of Baltimore, connecting downtown to the I-95.

Google Earth map:
[IMG]http://i36.************/15zle6r.jpg[/IMG]

Hazmat = Hazardous Materials

Picture credits to: AAroads
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #3332
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-83 Baltimore, Maryland

The I-83 enters Baltimore from the north, but is just a few miles short from reaching I-95, so it stops near downtown.

Picture credit to: AAroads
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #3333
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

The northern end of I-83 a few miles from my house . It ends at Interstate 81.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #3334
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

A good place for a one-arrow-per-lane diagrammatic. Georgia would have simply put a white downward arrow toward each lane and not said anything about the right lane splitting.

Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #3335
HAWC1506

Nvm, question has been answered already. I was asking about Hazmats, but i was blind not to notice the description...
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #3336
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
A good place for a one-arrow-per-lane diagrammatic. Georgia would have simply put a white downward arrow toward each lane and not said anything about the right lane splitting.

Yup. The traditional way of handling a similar situation:

J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #3337
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wichita, Kansas
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #3338
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Yup, I grew up there . . .
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #3339
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

I-83 is the only freeway in MD I been on where most drivers follow the "slower traffic kept right" rule.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:05 AM   #3340
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The worst traffic tie-up is along I-93 northbound during the evening commute.

Traffic is also about three minutes slower during the evening commute on the Southeast Expressway.
If they get rid of the bottle neck at one part, it is going to spread up to other areas. That just happens to be the effect since people are no longer stuck going through downtown, they are now stuck outside of downtown.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban