daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #3521
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Exactly. I like how some on here wish the USA could be more dense like Europe yet conveniently forget that Europe invented the Hypermarket. Wal-Mart just copied what Carrefour and Tesco created and renamed it the Supercenter over here in North America, South America, and Asia.
Actually, we have NONE of those hypermarkets in the Netherlands. I don't know why, I would welcome like one of them per bigger city. That way I don't need to get to downtown to buy other stuff than food. I hate shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Then don't buy several days worth of food at a time. In New York City and other urban environments, people only have to walk a couple of blocks to go to a food market. Are you actually arguing in favor of a development pattern such that people are forced to drive 10 minutes to the nearest sprawlmart with a cubic km of parking to do their shopping?
Most people (families) don't have the time to go to the grocery store everyday. If you work from 9 - 5 and you have to commute like an hour, have dinner and then free time's up. You don't want to spend that spare hour every evening going shopping while you kids have to go to bed early.

I'm in favor of medium sized shops in every neighborhood, and some larger shopping centers with like IKEA, hypermarkets etc. at good accessible locations. That way you don't necessarily have to take the car all the time for every time you go shopping, but you also don't clog city centers during weekends with cars when everybody want's to buy furniture or stuff like that that don't belong in or near historic city centers, and keep the city centers for people that want to go to a restaurant, going out, shopping for clothes and that kind of stuff where you don't need a car for.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM   #3522
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Actually, we have NONE of those hypermarkets in the Netherlands. I don't know why, I would welcome like one of them per bigger city. That way I don't need to get to downtown to buy other stuff than food. I hate shopping.

Most people (families) don't have the time to go to the grocery store everyday. If you work from 9 - 5 and you have to commute like an hour, have dinner and then free time's up. You don't want to spend that spare hour every evening going shopping while you kids have to go to bed early.

I'm in favor of medium sized shops in every neighborhood, and some larger shopping centers with like IKEA, hypermarkets etc. at good accessible locations. That way you don't necessarily have to take the car all the time for every time you go shopping, but you also don't clog city centers during weekends with cars when everybody want's to buy furniture or stuff like that that don't belong in or near historic city centers, and keep the city centers for people that want to go to a restaurant, going out, shopping for clothes and that kind of stuff where you don't need a car for.

Understood and agreed.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #3523
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

IMO, the hypermarkets you guys have look much better than any superstore we have.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3524
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Lots of Slovakian cities have big Tesco's. You can really get everything there: food, drinks, furniture, electronics, medicin, books, almost everything. And they're opened 24/7. These shops do look good and it's pleasant to shop there. A very good thing is they don't have fifteen different types of frozen lasagna, like some Super Stop&Shop's have
Old December 24th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #3525
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

I wonder if Tesco have destroyed local retail business in Slovakia. BTW, you can't buy alcohol from grocery stores in several US states.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #3526
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

I would rather have a Carrefour than a WalMart. WalMart is just junk from China. I guess you'll have to live in the U.S. to really understand how inconvenient it is.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #3527
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I would rather have a Carrefour than a WalMart. WalMart is just junk from China. I guess you'll have to live in the U.S. to really understand how inconvenient it is.
Carrefour was tried in Philidelphia and Washington, DC in the late '80s/early '90s. They simply couldn't hack it against Wal-Mart, Target, or K-Mart. You have to look at China, where Carrefour and Wal-Mart are both successful and compete against each other in Supercenter/Hypermarket formats.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #3528
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

I'm not a moderator or anything, but can we please stay on topic? There are plenty of other forums on this website to discuss urbanity.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #3529
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I wonder if Tesco have destroyed local retail business in Slovakia.
Yes, it did. Everyone walks around with plastic Tesco bags.

But ok, we should get back on-topic
Old December 24th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #3530
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

How is I-80 in the winter. I'm driving west from Ontario through michigan, hopping on it and taking it west from Chicago towards Salt Lake, then going north-west from Salt Lake City up to Seattle, north to Vancouver. I'm leaving in 4 days, and hopefully some of you can let me know what to expect.

I have 6 days to complete the journey.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3531
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I found this great picture of the George Washington Bridge (I-95)

Old December 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3532
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Here's a video of the I-20 through Atlanta, Georgia, from west to east within the beltway.

Old December 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #3533
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

That picture of the GW Bridge is beautiful.
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #3534
HwyIsraelFreak

Likes (Received):

Agreed. That shot really captures the majesty of the GWB.
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #3535
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
There are two conventional 4-level 'stack' interchanges in New York, too. Both are in Albany.

Mike
There's another one in Long Island too at the end of the Clearview Expressway (I-295). As for the ones in Albany, I find it fascinating how they are right next to each other, and one of them isn't even for a highway, just a regular arterial road.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3536
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Did you know the George Washington Bridge was supposed to have it's current steel frame covered in concrete? They didn't do that in the 1930's due to the Great Depression, but it was planned to do so. How much different would the GWB have looked now....
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #3537
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Can anybody tell me how a personal vehicle is taxed? I mean by owning it (I know about the fuel excise tax). Is there a registration fee on top of the regular sales tax? Is there an annual tax?
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #3538
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Can anybody tell me how a personal vehicle is taxed? I mean by owning it (I know about the fuel excise tax). Is there a registration fee on top of the regular sales tax? Is there an annual tax?
In Texas, at least, there is an annual registration fee (usually costs about $60). This is on top of an annual emissions inspection, which costs about $40 for gas engines, $15 for diesels.

There is no federal registration fee. You do have to pay certain taxes upon purchase of the car, as well, including the sales tax which is usually over 7.25%. The county and municipality often have taxes as well.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #3539
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I see, that makes it quite difficult to compare it to Europe, all those administrative layers of federal -> state -> county -> municipality. We have those annual emissions inspections too for diesel cars (soot recording). That annual registration fee is quite cheap, I have to pay that 60 dollars every month...
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #3540
jcarloschile
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Some need to be updated
jcarloschile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban