daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3561
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
FDR Drive

From Brooklyn Bridge to United Nations building.

Do those metal barriers have metal supports? They don't look like the wood used everywhere else.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:36 PM   #3562
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Strumatically shiny?
I have no clue what 'Strumatically' means. I looked it up on google and it said 'no definitions were found' haha
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:38 AM   #3563
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Even though you have probably already started your trip, I can tell you the weather in Wyoming on I-80, then I-84 Salt Lake to Seattle (via I-82, then I-90) has been terrible the past week or two. Closures, chain requirements have been common. However, crews are pretty good about cleaning it up and it is usually passable. Be prepared for slow spots and delays though.
I'm in Idaho..just off of I-84..and we've had 3 days of non-stop sunshine...so glad...things have been perfect..only spot we were delayed was in chicago due to traffic/construction, since then it's been 100% clear. Actually didn't even see snow until Utah..so can't complain at all.

Thanks for the advice.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM   #3564
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

You also could've encountered this situation in Wyoming:
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3565
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I have no clue what 'Strumatically' means. I looked it up on google and it said 'no definitions were found' haha
Think of Radi
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM   #3566
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
FDR Drive

From Brooklyn Bridge to United Nations building.

This is a picture of FDR Drive I took from Brooklyn Bridge around afternoon rush hour. The rightmost lane which goes onto BB towards Brooklyn is clogged for a length of around 800m. Not a very exciting thing to take your car to commute to Manhattan.

And a bonus picture: asphalt quality on Brooklyn Bridge (let's feed Radi )

Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM   #3567
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Within the city of New York, NYSDOT is proposing to rehabilitate the Gowanus Expressway (I-278) in Brooklyn. There are a few alternatives, including a tunnel.

project page (works only with IE here)

It's not clear to me if this tunnel alternative would have an increase of lanes. It seems clever to me to add a fourth lane, so that traffic congestion can ease somewhat. The current elevated structure has 6 lanes, but since the Gowanus is a critical link connecting not only the 12 lane Verrazano Bridge, but also the Belt Parkway with the BQE and I-478.

Since population growth has pretty much maxed out here, an additional big increase of traffic is not to be expected. This would be a nice chance to finally relieve a New York expressway of some congestion.
it may be easy to add an extra lane in the elevated part of the gowanus, which is just south of the bklyn bridge, but how are lanes are going to be added in the segment under the park?. another bottleneck, just like the one after the williamsburg eastbound will not help the congestion on a large scale. Plus the project will cause a slow down to traffic, just like the yearlong construction on the BQE that made the expwy reduced to 2 lanes and put the speed limit at 35.
tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM   #3568
Timon91
Error

@Majestic: it is so ******* ugly and not smooht that it should be repaved immediately in order to get it smooth in bulgaria raods are much and much smoother and especailly struma even if they dont get money from whoreson eu

Old January 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM   #3569
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
This is a picture of FDR Drive I took from Brooklyn Bridge around afternoon rush hour. The rightmost lane which goes onto BB towards Brooklyn is clogged for a length of around 800m. Not a very exciting thing to take your car to commute to Manhattan.

I've seen much worse In the Netherlands a clogged exit can cause dozens of kilometers of jammed traffic due to the lack of bypassing lanes. If traffic stops on the right lane, it's a matter of short time once the whole 2x2 freeway gets jammed. It's therefore quite important to have enough exit capacity, otherwise there are quite a lot unnecessary traffic jams. A collector/express setup can also help with that, but I guess that's a bit out of New Yorks league due to the density of the build-up area.
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3570
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

in that picture when you see the left lane moving it is still not as worse as i've experienced numerous times. some people still use the left lane to cross over to the middle lane at the last second a lot, especially during rush hour. the fact that their is actually one "official" exit lane makes you wonder more. The build up also cause an uneasy access to the upper parts of lower manhattan, as the city hall exit is adjacent to the brooklyn br ramp. People who wish to go there are forced to take a detour and exit at south street instead then continue their journey up on construction clogged streets.
tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM   #3571
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

FDR Drive serves best as a N-S through-traffic road since there is very few exits.
What also struck me during that afternoon rush hour was that while BB was jammed to the point of 20 MPH to stationary traffic, the adjacent Manhattan Bridge was providing absolute free-flow traffic! So if you chose to drive just half a mile more to Manhattan Br, you enjoyed a jam-free rush-hour drive. But again, most of the jams on BB are caused by FDR drivers whose only rational solution of crossing East River is taking Brooklyn Bridge.
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM   #3572
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Here's a video of the I-20 through Atlanta, Georgia, from west to east within the beltway.

IIRC, the rebuild of I-20 between I-285 east and downtown was done in the early '90, after the rest of the Freeing The Freeways program. All of the bridges were replaced, but, incredibly, the original early '60's concrete pavement was retained even though the joint pattern is totally out of phase with the current placement of lanes. In the video you can clearly see the pavement joints in the middle of the left three lanes.

Further west, the design for the reconstruction retained the original concrete 2x3 roadway but upgraded the road to current standards-- adding full width shoulders on the bridges, a jersey barrier in the median, and removing the curb and gutter that was installed between the traffic lanes and the shoulders . But before the project was completed, they decided to top the whole thing with asphalt and stripe it for 2x4. Because of this, the shoulders are very narrow and the speed limit was reduced to 50 mph (80kph, as if anyone here doesn't know that. ). Had the project been better planned, it surely would've been feasible to provide full-width right shoulders except under the bridges, plus a slightly wider left shoulder to increase sight distance a bit.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:55 AM   #3573
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Think of Radi
Ah yes of course

Quote:

And a bonus picture: asphalt quality on Brooklyn Bridge (let's feed Radi )

I had no idea the bridge was so worn-out. I've always thought that it would be kept in great shape because it's a major landmark. I guess not though. Sometimes, I feel like the U.S. is just pretty on the outside...
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM   #3574
Morsue

Quote:
But hey, that's a sweet limo. Bet they don't have those in Bulgaria
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3575
Timon91
Error

They have: mafia
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #3576
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Anyone who says we don't need an infrastructure stimulus bill should be required to look at that photo of the Brookyln Bridge.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #3577
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
FDR Drive serves best as a N-S through-traffic road since there is very few exits.
What also struck me during that afternoon rush hour was that while BB was jammed to the point of 20 MPH to stationary traffic, the adjacent Manhattan Bridge was providing absolute free-flow traffic! So if you chose to drive just half a mile more to Manhattan Br, you enjoyed a jam-free rush-hour drive. But again, most of the jams on BB are caused by FDR drivers whose only rational solution of crossing East River is taking Brooklyn Bridge.
Actually, the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges end only like one block apart in Brooklyn Heights.

The main problem though is, that from the FDR Drive, there's direct access to the Brooklyn Bridge, while you have to drive a couple of blocks through Manhattan to reach the Manhattan Bridge. That would be via Houston Street and Bowery from the North. From the south, you need to get via Broadway and Park Row, which leads directly through the BB entrance, you might as well take that one.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM   #3578
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Quote:
Actually, the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges end only like one block apart in Brooklyn Heights.

The main problem though is, that from the FDR Drive, there's direct access to the Brooklyn Bridge, while you have to drive a couple of blocks through Manhattan to reach the Manhattan Bridge. That would be via Houston Street and Bowery from the North. From the south, you need to get via Broadway and Park Row, which leads directly through the BB entrance, you might as well take that one.
I agree. But it's still better in my opinion to detour via Houston and Bowery than lose your nerves in a standstill on FDR. And you can always buy some fresh groceries in Chinatown on your way

It seems that the main problem with Manhattan Bridge on Brooklyn side is that you don't have a direct access onto I-278, the main Brooklyn thoroughfare unlike when using BB. Maybe that's why the latter attracts more trafiic.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM   #3579
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You need to get off the Manhattan Bridge at the first exit in Brooklyn, and travel via Jay Street and Sands Street to the BQE. It's all not very optimal there though. Another problem is the BQE has only two lanes between the BB and the Tillary Street entrance.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3580
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

The interesting thing about the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway is tha fact it is 2-level on a 1,5 km stretch in Brooklyn Heights. There is also the 3rd deck above which is a pedestrian promenade.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban