daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3641
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

That's because the European highway system is not like a grid like in the US. I think we have too many "diagonal" roads for that, especially on non-freeways.

I usually refer to cardinal directions in conversations though, like "A7 northbound".
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #3642
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

A lot of motorways in Sweden are marked like E4 N, E4 S, etc. in certain cases. It's not consistent but quite a few are, anyway.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #3643
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I noticed that in Denmark too

But I found Denmark already more Americanish than the Netherlands, they have wide streets and shopping malls you don't see in my country. The transportcenters in Denmark also remind me of the U.S. where services are usually not directly on the freeway, but near an exit.
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #3644
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
It's often quite difficult to replace the pavement on overpasses, right? You see that in the Netherlands as well; smooth motorway, shitty viaducts s
Somehow Ontario is able to just pave asphalt on it's overpasses, and other than the joints, it's just a continuous lane of asphalt.

I don't know why the Americans can't do this.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #3645
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I-85 not far from the VA state line in NC

Nice pavement... They ought to repave/replace this overpass.
The last I heard, NC is pretty much out of highway money. Prolly fixing something like that will be in the stimulus bill, though. Maybe remove and replace the bridge and others like it.

I haven't been on that part of 85 in ten years, and it was bad even then.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3646
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

"They are in the shape of a miner's spade to honor the California Gold Rush."

I like those American road number shields way better than the boring European ones. No imagination here when it comes to that.
Not much imagination here either.

http://www.roadsignmath.com/wp-conte...4-Higganum.jpg
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #3647
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
Another thing that I noticed European roads lack is cardinal direction signage having destination cities only. I have think more than few people get lost because they have no reference as to which cities are east, west, etc.
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe the whole cardinal direction thing on highways is a North American thing.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3648
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe the whole cardinal direction thing on highways is a North American thing.
I think it is, and it's a very good idea. I spent a week in the USA a bit over a year ago, and though I didn't actually drive there myself, I noticed that their road signage was much easier to understand than the way they sign things over here - not only that, but the roads themselves were usually of a much higher standard.

I think a lot of other places could do with cardinal signing, too. A few weeks ago I had to catch a train to Parramatta, in the western suburbs of Sydney - when I stepped out of Parramatta station, I had no clue which way I was facing and the street names they signed were no help, as I don't know my way around Parramatta very well. I'd have used the Sun to determine which way was East if it hadn't been so overcast that morning.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3649
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Roads being of a higher standard is a bit too generalized. It varies greatly by state. Lots of American roads out there are really bad (just look at Chris' "I-85 not far from the VA state line in NC" picture above--lots of roads like that).
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3650
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
Roads being of a higher standard is a bit too generalized. It varies greatly by state. Lots of American roads out there are really bad (just look at Chris' "I-85 not far from the VA state line in NC" picture above--lots of roads like that).
Whereas over here, a road of similar importance would probably be filled with roundabouts and/or traffic lights. Sydney and its surrounding areas have very few motorways that actually lead to anywhere. Case in point: the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway is over 100 km of very high standard road with a speed limit of 110 km/h for most of its length. At its southern end, traffic is dumped onto one of two urban roads with properties lining the sides and traffic lights every kilometre or two, with limits of 60 and 70 km/h, and at its northern end it terminates on a traffic circle from which you can access the narrow, badly paved Weakleys Drive or the equally narrow and very old Hexham Bridge to continue northward. There are no interchanges with other motorways on this road, either, unless you count the fact that it interchanges with an old alignment of itself.

My point was that American freeways actually go somewhere, are wide enough to accommodate the traffic that flows on them, and tend not to dump that traffic onto low-speed roads ten kilometres out from the CBD.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #3651
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What I particularly like about the American road system is that the arterial, non-freeway network is pretty well build. In the Netherlands, one lane highways with high traffic loads go through towns, and overtaking is almost impossible due to traffic. In the U.S. there are way more 4 lane highways with at grade intersections, so you don't get stuck behind slow trucks and grandma's all the time.
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #3652
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-90/I-94 / I-290 interchange.
image hosted on flickr

Dan Ryan Expressway during construction
image hosted on flickr

I-290
image hosted on flickr

Look at the exits
image hosted on flickr

Lake Shore Drive
image hosted on flickr
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #3653
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

The Chicago metro area doesn't really have too many freeways for its size.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3654
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I agree. Some are massive though, such as the Kennedy and Dan Ryan.

But the suburban area is very big, and has few freeways. I once read here somewhere traffic in the suburbs is actually worse than in the Chicago proper.
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #3655
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

That looks almost Texas like with its service road, or perhaps there's just so many exits squished together it looks like a service road.

Either way, I think they should get rid of some of those ramps, as it causes a lot of slowdown, IMO.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #3656
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Somehow Ontario is able to just pave asphalt on it's overpasses, and other than the joints, it's just a continuous lane of asphalt.

I don't know why the Americans can't do this.
It varies by state. Washington State has no trouble doing this. I've seen anywhere from small overpasses to large 1.5 mile-long bridge decks repaved. Many times, they're not entirely smooth though. There are rough expansion joints on some. Others are great and you don't even the overpass.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #3657
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
That looks almost Texas like with its service road, or perhaps there's just so many exits squished together it looks like a service road.

Either way, I think they should get rid of some of those ramps, as it causes a lot of slowdown, IMO.
My guess for those exits are because of the sports stadium next to the freeway. On game nights, you'll see 20,000+ cars trying to reach the stadium. Those exits probably help cars spread out onto several arterial streets so they don't all clog together on a single ramp trying to get to the stadium.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #3658
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
It varies by state. Washington State has no trouble doing this. I've seen anywhere from small overpasses to large 1.5 mile-long bridge decks repaved. Many times, they're not entirely smooth though. There are rough expansion joints on some. Others are great and you don't even the overpass.
Yeah, you're right. It does vary by state. But I don't know, whenever I imagine driving on an american highway, the sounds in my head are..smooth..quiet pavement..the bump (of a joint) the whistling sound for a few seconds, and then the other joint bump..and then smooth quiet pavement.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #3659
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Yeah, you're right. It does vary by state. But I don't know, whenever I imagine driving on an american highway, the sounds in my head are..smooth..quiet pavement..the bump (of a joint) the whistling sound for a few seconds, and then the other joint bump..and then smooth quiet pavement.
Georgia does that as well, if the bridge is not too long.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #3660
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
My guess for those exits are because of the sports stadium next to the freeway. On game nights, you'll see 20,000+ cars trying to reach the stadium. Those exits probably help cars spread out onto several arterial streets so they don't all clog together on a single ramp trying to get to the stadium.
I know the problem, during events like concerts or soccer games, the motorways around the stadium get clogged too in the Netherlands. Two years ago, there was this classic rock festival that was only accessible from a two lane road from two directions. About 30,000 people were attending, and some of them were 4 hours late due to tremendous congestion.

Given the fact one lane has about a capacity of 2,000 - 2,500 vehicles an hour, you can imagine it takes a while to handle say 15,000 cars.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban