daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #3761
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

http://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/collections/

Thousands of highway pics in the United States.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM   #3762
BreDi

Likes (Received): 28

Driving south from Orlando to Miami I-95 south and I-195 east to Miami beach

BreDi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM   #3763
BreDi

Driving towards downtown Tampa:

BreDi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM   #3764
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Florida is known to have some of the worst drivers in the country, and perhaps the western world.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:41 AM   #3765
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Florida is known to have some of the worst drivers in the country, and perhaps the western world.
Worst as in don't have the skills or worst as in don't follow the law? Or both?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:19 AM   #3766
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

Quote:
Why? I never had problem driving there.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM   #3767
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Why? I never had problem driving there.
He's referring to the extreme concentrations of senior citizen drivers in Florida with their big cars, slow response times, and poor eyesight.

Is there an equivalent to Florida that exists in Europe where a mass concentration of retirees decend?
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:42 AM   #3768
LtBk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
He's referring to the extreme concentrations of senior citizen drivers in Florida with their big cars, slow response times, and poor eyesight.

Is there an equivalent to Florida that exists in Europe where a mass concentration of retirees decend?
Don't forget the massive amount of tourist drivers, transplants, and immigrants.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:45 AM   #3769
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Don't forget the massive amount of tourist drivers, transplants, and immigrants.
This is why the panhandle is better.

Give me Destin/Fort Walton Beach, Seaside, and Gulf Breeze anyday.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM   #3770
HwyIsraelFreak

Likes (Received):

I just got back from Boston, and the highways there are worse than their reputation (a feat in and of itself)! In the tunnels, exits come without warning and with constant lane changes being necessary; on the Mass Pike, no mention of street names at exits; and then there is Storrow Drive. My nominee for worst highway in the US, it has premature signs with little direction or information, frequent jams, occasional flooding, extremely low clearances, cars parked in the shoulder, and there is always the tourist getting lost. Plus, drivers there are ridiculously aggressive and can easily cause major accidents. I now proclaim: If you don't know how to drive in Boston, DON'T!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:05 AM   #3771
LtBk

Being aggressive doesn't always mean the driver is bad. Passive aggressive drivers or careless drivers are more dangerous.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM   #3772
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
That's what people here don't understand. Not everyone wants a $400,000 urban warehouse conversion loft downtown, especially when they can get something for twice the square footage for half the price in a suburb. 90% of people don't give a damn about architecture or what whiny liberals think about "McMansions".

Also, a young man (not unlike all the hipsters that post here) can go and live by himself in the city. With his wife, it becomes a bit more risky when you consider how much crime takes place in the urban areas. The suburbs (many of which are practically crime free) start to look a lot more attractive. You add in some kids, and that small home space, lack of outdoor playing space, and utterly shit American urban public schools (and not to mention their costly private school alternatives), it starts to make almost zero sense to live in the city, unless you're extremely rich and can shield yourself from all the undesirable elements.
I know that Chris probably wants to put the thread back on-topic, but I wanted to state that the majority of condo developers don't even advertise their developments to families, nor do cities want them (because more kids means higher property taxes) so your point is pretty much moot. They don't care about that. Hell, where I'm from, lots of subdivision communities are planned for seniors only. Urban development for families isn't popular, for the reasons (bad schools, crime). It's not their target demographic, basically.

Affluent single married couples without children, and empty nesters with $$$ are their main target...not "hipsters". They increasingly are attracted to the city for reasons (convenience to work, because it's pointless to have a big house with the kids gone, etc). Since both demographics are growing much faster than families with children and seniors will actually speed much faster in the future, they have much better long term prospects than the suburbs do. The stereotypical "Average American" family of two parents and kids is already a shrinking sector of the population, and will fall further in the future.

It should also be added that, when dealing with developments in downtown (not gentrification into poorer areas), that most downtowns in US cities tend to be quite safe as well...it's not like they're building these kinds of developments in the middle of the ghetto or something anyway.

Last edited by Xusein; January 22nd, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM   #3773
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Being aggressive doesn't always mean the driver is bad.
It doesn't?
When is being aggressive driver a good thing?
I DO agree with your second comment about careless drivers, but I don't think we should have to pick.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #3774
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The keyword is defensive driving. Many people don't qualify for that. But some drivers really encourage aggressive driving, I got stuck behind some stupid Fiat Seicento (cubic meter car) which was driving only 15 mph where 30 mph was allowed, and 45 mph would made more sense. (2x2 urban road). She was driving on the left, and overtaking on the right is not allowed, but I did it anyway.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #3775
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
It doesn't?
When is being aggressive driver a good thing?
I DO agree with your second comment about careless drivers, but I don't think we should have to pick.
Many situations require assertive driving, particularly if there's a selfish driving mentality in general. But the problem is in drawing the line between assertive and aggressive driving.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3776
LtBk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The keyword is defensive driving. Many people don't qualify for that. But some drivers really encourage aggressive driving, I got stuck behind some stupid Fiat Seicento (cubic meter car) which was driving only 15 mph where 30 mph was allowed, and 45 mph would made more sense. (2x2 urban road). She was driving on the left, and overtaking on the right is not allowed, but I did it anyway.
I done that a lot here in MD cause MD drivers are dumb as bricks.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3777
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

I agree you do have to be assertive at times, no question. But aggressive? There's way too much of that. Things like people riding your tail when you're passing someone and are already above the speed limit- it's the kind of thing that can make someone want to start going a lot slower. Or "power merging"- entering a motorway and immediately heading for the fast lane without any thought to yielding to those who are already on the road. Or, my favorite, speeding up the moment someone signals that he wants to get into your lane, as if the aggressive driver has taken out a deed on the 100 yards in front and behind him.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:25 AM   #3778
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

Quote:
Passive aggressive drivers
What the f*ck? That's what I call "unlogic logic".
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:23 AM   #3779
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyIsraelFreak View Post
I just got back from Boston, and the highways there are worse than their reputation (a feat in and of itself)! In the tunnels, exits come without warning and with constant lane changes being necessary; on the Mass Pike, no mention of street names at exits; and then there is Storrow Drive. My nominee for worst highway in the US, it has premature signs with little direction or information, frequent jams, occasional flooding, extremely low clearances, cars parked in the shoulder, and there is always the tourist getting lost. Plus, drivers there are ridiculously aggressive and can easily cause major accidents. I now proclaim: If you don't know how to drive in Boston, DON'T!
I agree. Fortunately, Boston has a decent enough rail transit system that you can get around for the most part without a car.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:03 AM   #3780
LtBk

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
What the f*ck? That's what I call "unlogic logic".
Do you know what "passive aggressive" means? BTW, I did not came up with the term.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban