daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM   #3781
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
I agree you do have to be assertive at times, no question. But aggressive? There's way too much of that. Things like people riding your tail when you're passing someone and are already above the speed limit- it's the kind of thing that can make someone want to start going a lot slower. Or "power merging"- entering a motorway and immediately heading for the fast lane without any thought to yielding to those who are already on the road. Or, my favorite, speeding up the moment someone signals that he wants to get into your lane, as if the aggressive driver has taken out a deed on the 100 yards in front and behind him.
That's exactly what I'm saying; I'm not condoning aggressive driving at all. But obviously, to combat aggressive driving by others, one must have confidence in one's own judgment. Too often, I see people become flustered and indecisive when confronted with aggressive drivers, and their decision-making suffers.

Eg. In the tailgating example, the overtaking driver can feel "pressured" by the tailgating driver, and make a hasty decision to change back into the slow lane where there isn't sufficient space, cutting off the cars behind and possibly forcing them to brake. And in the third example, drivers may end up "in two minds" as to whether they should change lanes in front of the aggressive driver, or wait for them to pass, leading to late decisions and last-second lane changes.

Of course, if assertive drivers lose sight of the line, they cross it and become what they were trying to combat - aggressive drivers. And so it goes on...
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #3782
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

I'm with Chris in calling the preferred way of driving 'defensive', protect yourself from the aggro people, drive firmly but gently all the time.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #3783
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Oh, I'm not suggesting changing the name. But assertive driving is one part of defensive driving.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #3784
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Check it out:
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3785
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

"Permanent" construction signage? Very odd.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3786
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Or maybe you mean those 4 Toyotas on each lane Chris.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #3787
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Check it out:
SF approaching from Oakland Bay Bridge?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #3788
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
SF approaching from Oakland Bay Bridge?
Yea, it does look to me like it is coming off of the bridge (note the main cables/anchorages on either side of the roadway).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #3789
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyIsraelFreak View Post
I just got back from Boston, and the highways there are worse than their reputation (a feat in and of itself)! In the tunnels, exits come without warning and with constant lane changes being necessary; on the Mass Pike, no mention of street names at exits; and then there is Storrow Drive. My nominee for worst highway in the US, it has premature signs with little direction or information, frequent jams, occasional flooding, extremely low clearances, cars parked in the shoulder, and there is always the tourist getting lost. Plus, drivers there are ridiculously aggressive and can easily cause major accidents. I now proclaim: If you don't know how to drive in Boston, DON'T!
A hearty welcome to Boston. Everything you said is so, so true. Still, I couldn't possibly enjoy driving as much in any other American city.

This is Boston now. You never experienced Boston before the Big Dig. Talk about some mad pissed drivers.

Hopefully while you were navigating Storrow you managed to at least get in a few peaks at the Charles River running right beside you? That's the thing about Boston. The roads may be crap, but the cityscape around you makes up for it tenfold.

Basically no interchanges in the state of Massachusetts have entry or exit lanes longer than 50-100 yards. You have to be really, really skilled to do a highway merge without stopping.

Massachusetts is notorious for terrible signage.Since nearly every major 2-lane road is a State Highway, locals usually have no idea what the road's actual name is despite the fact that it might be important to a visitor. Most highway interchanges are for a state route and the actual name of the road is never posted. Besides that, at intersections for the most part only the name of the less important intersecting road is posted. The logic is you know which road the major road is. Problem is visitors usually don't.

Still the state's interstate system is remarkably good. Most roads are in great repair and the system is not grossly overbuilt.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #3790
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Yea, it does look to me like it is coming off of the bridge (note the main cables/anchorages on either side of the roadway)
It is indeed I-80 coming into SF from Bay Bridge. And the construction has been there for ages (at least for 6 years as I made regular trips there). However, the highrise on the right was completed as of August 2008 which means that the picture is somewhat old.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #3791
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

That pic of I-80 in SF is a pretty nice view of the city! At least if you're stuck in traffic, you can just look at the scenery a bit, provided some big 18-wheeler or something like that.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #3792
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Yeah One Rincon Hill is the high rise. Tallest residential building in SF. One of my favorite pieces of road in the bay area.
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #3793
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Cool video of I-80 in Wyoming by Polish trucker.

(HQ available)
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #3794
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ah, near Green River. What a scenery
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #3795
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

That's interesting, at 1:32, the sign on the left has a long "up" arrow- normally you'd see a "down" arrow in America.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3796
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What do you guys think of the stimulus package concerning roadways? 30 billion out of 825 billion. I don't know, I mean 30 billion is a LOT of money, but is it really that much for a country of 300 million people? I always compare it to a country where I have most data from (the Netherlands).

U.S. stimulus package 30 billion for 300 million people, hence 100 dollar per capita
NL 2009 road investment: 3.5 billion for 16 million people, hence ~220 dollar per capita

Now, the Netherlands are quite underinvested when it comes to road-infrastructure.

10 billion is used for transit in the U.S. which is, considering the modal split, quite generous compared to the road package, since the ratio is 1:3, while the actual modal split is more likely 1:9, hence transit gets 3 times more on a relative basis. Not that that bothers me, they need it, but shouldn't they invest somewhat more in roads? I mean, if we look at the rehabilitation of road structures alone, the amount of money needed is way more than 30 billion (I've read 1600 billion somewhere).

So should we really be so excited about the road infrastructure stimulus package?
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #3797
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

When you consider the size of the two countries compared to the relative investments the stimulus package comes out even smaller compared to 'normal' spending. By the way, the Economist magazine has expressed its fears a couple of times now that these extra-budgetary earmarks will lead to more 'bridges to nowhere'.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #3798
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koesj View Post
By the way, the Economist magazine has expressed its fears a couple of times now that these extra-budgetary earmarks will lead to more 'bridges to nowhere'.
Well, that are politics. If they are smart, they speed up widenings and improvements that were planned, but not feasible due to funding problems. And replace outdated bridges.
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3799
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Quote:
10 billion is used for transit in the U.S. which is, considering the modal split, quite generous compared to the road package, since the ratio is 1:3, while the actual modal split is more likely 1:9, hence transit gets 3 times more on a relative basis.
What's the difference between transit and road package?
Quote:
So should we really be so excited about the road infrastructure stimulus package?
I think USA desperately needs reconstruction and renovation of its old and rusty part of infrastructure. And I'm not talking improving traffic capacity, I'm talking safety. As far as I know most of the bridges, ramps and viaducts were built in the 50's and 60's. The timeline indicates that a lot of those objects and facilities are technically outdated and in severely bad condition, especially those that run over capacity. I think that's where this money should be directed.

When it comes to the stimulous package funds, I don't think it's a lot of money considering the scale of infrastructure in the States. Comparison to the Netherlands proves it fair enough. Also, we have to bear in mind that money that let you build 100 km of freeway 50 years ago, may now be enough for only 20 km (a wild guess). And of course the NIMBY factor.
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #3800
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
What's the difference between transit and road package?
Transit is another word for "public transportation".

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban