daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #3921
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

DFW has even more sprawl than Houston. There's wide open spaces in downtown Dallas.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3922
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Well, DFW is larger... 6.1 million vs 5.6 in Houston. 500.000 people, 3 per house = 166.00 more homes. That's quite an area.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #3923
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another "high quality" bridge, on I-20 just west of Shreveport, LA
image hosted on flickr

By OKroads on Flickr.
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #3924
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
DFW has even more sprawl than Houston. There's wide open spaces in downtown Dallas.
Much of that is either parkland (think Dealey Plaza) or in the Trinity River floodplain. My own impression is that pretty much everything in Dallas that isn't either a city park or liable to flood has been built on, though obviously this isn't true for peripheral suburbs, which still have plenty of opportunities for infill development.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #3925
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Louisiana is often the reason Pennsylvania doesn't have the worst roads in America.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #3926
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://wsbradio.com/blogs/jamie_dupr...lus-money.html

A state-by-state breakdown of the Stimulus money for roads&bridges.
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #3927
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://wsbradio.com/blogs/jamie_dupr...lus-money.html

A state-by-state breakdown of the Stimulus money for roads&bridges.
Alright who in the right mind decided to give Tenessee more money than Washington?!
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #3928
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Alright who in the right mind decided to give Tenessee more money than Washington?!
Remember, I-69 needs to be built in Western Tennessee(US 51 from Union City to Memphis is not Interstate quality yet).

Also, TN 840 needs to be finshed as a half-beltway around Nashville.

Don't forget about I-475 to act as a reliever route for traffic to bypass Knoxville. You ever been to Knoxville? Right now, I-40 through downtown is fully shutdown while the Interstate is being completely rebuilt. Locals like to both groan and chuckle at the amount of perpetual construction on Knoxville interstates. It's been that way for the past 30 years, at least. See? www.tdot.state.tn.us/smartfix/jwp/

Chattanooga's gotta get their fair share of upgrades too. It's been over 10 years since I-24 got a good rehabilitation, and I-75 hasn't completely been reconstructed since 1990. Semi trucks ain't getting any smaller.

What I would like to see is a High Speed Rail that goes from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville to Bristol, with spurs from Nashville and Knoxville to Chattanooga to connect with the proposed High Speed Rail to Atlanta.

Also, how about a rail line from Knoxville to Asheville, NC to connect with the NC expansion of their rail line?
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #3929
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1016 View Post
Does anyone know what the "Northern" limit of those raised reflective pavement markings (RPMs) is?

I'm referring to these:

I already know that they have the snowplowable ones for the Northern states and provinces, like so:

I don't know about NC or TN, or parts of the state east or south of Lynchburg, but in southwest VA and northern VA we use the ones that are a bit more flush with the pavement to allow for snowplows - they are placed in every other gap between dashed lines, and about one every 15ish feet near exit ramps. I guess the VA border is the southern limit as far as i know...?

I'm not entirely sure why we have snowplowable reflectors here - for all I know, snow is probably a myth - I haven't seen it in significant amounts since 2003 when i was in 5th grade. (Yes we've had "snow" since then but just two or three "storms" a year)
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #3930
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

The reflectors used in Washington are not snow plowable at all. In August, reflectors were laid down, and in December they were all gone due to the snow. I picked up a few of them from the side of the road :P.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #3931
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It's quite stupid that in a state with a lot of snow in winter, like Washington, they forget to think about the consequences of plowing snow
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #3932
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Remember, I-69 needs to be built in Western Tennessee(US 51 from Union City to Memphis is not Interstate quality yet).

Also, TN 840 needs to be finshed as a half-beltway around Nashville.

Don't forget about I-475 to act as a reliever route for traffic to bypass Knoxville. You ever been to Knoxville? Right now, I-40 through downtown is fully shutdown while the Interstate is being completely rebuilt. Locals like to both groan and chuckle at the amount of perpetual construction on Knoxville interstates. It's been that way for the past 30 years, at least. See? www.tdot.state.tn.us/smartfix/jwp/

Chattanooga's gotta get their fair share of upgrades too. It's been over 10 years since I-24 got a good rehabilitation, and I-75 hasn't completely been reconstructed since 1990. Semi trucks ain't getting any smaller.

What I would like to see is a High Speed Rail that goes from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville to Bristol, with spurs from Nashville and Knoxville to Chattanooga to connect with the proposed High Speed Rail to Atlanta.

Also, how about a rail line from Knoxville to Asheville, NC to connect with the NC expansion of their rail line?
But most of your argument can be made by other states: "Oh, city X needs to build this and city Y needs that." When dealing with transportation aspects of this federal stimulus bill, solid arguments can really only be made for projects of national significance, and I-69 is probably the only one that you mentioned that can be classified as such. That's the real discrepancy in state funding here.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM   #3933
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 through Philadelphia by Freewayjim.

choose High Quality!
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:16 AM   #3934
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

It's nice to see Indiana get $657 million for highway funds. Our roads SUCK. Spend it quickly, Indiana, there are tons of shovel ready projects that can get started with this money.
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:23 AM   #3935
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I-95 through Philadelphia by Freewayjim.

choose High Quality!
At the 3:30 mark he was here:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:35 AM   #3936
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Nice looking freeway!
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:10 AM   #3937
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Wasn't part of the Delaware Expressway (I-95) between the Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross Bridges shut down because large cracks were found in some columns holding up the freeway?
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM   #3938
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah I believe so... apparantly they fixed it...
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:06 PM   #3939
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

It was fixed after a couple of days- I had posted some pictures of it at the time, but I think they're likely somewhere in Interstate thread II
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM   #3940
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

It's not very impressive but the other side of Center City is the Shuykill Expressway which has one of the coolest skyline approaches I've seen. Youre drive through a forest along the river and then boom theres Philly. Its like a parkway more like.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban