daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM   #3941
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Here's a few pictures from flickr of the Des Moines, Iowa network of interstates. It has interstates 80, 35 and 235. It also has a southern bypass, but it's a state highway number, not an interstate.

They just finished a huge upgrade of the system to be around 8 lanes wide in most areas.

Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM   #3942
lasic
On był tyko zaczepny...

Likes (Received): 0

Great shots Chicagoago !
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:59 AM   #3943
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

My first good Panoramic Shot of Cityscape of the City of Paterson,New Jersey & giant slice of Interstate 80 on the bottom! Direction Northeasterly

image hosted on flickr

Heading on I-287 today

Mileage Sign on I-287
image hosted on flickr

Ramapo, New Jersey

image hosted on flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; March 2nd, 2009 at 07:18 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM   #3944
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

A 65 speed limit is a bit low, for that road.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM   #3945
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It seems to be quite a curvy section; 65 mph is probably not that bad.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM   #3946
HwyIsraelFreak

Likes (Received):

The maximum speed limit in New Jersey is 65, and that stretch of 287 is not too rural. There are plenty of communities hidden behind the trees.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM   #3947
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

The problem with the speed limits in the US of A is that each state sets its own maximum limit. It has nothing to do with engineering surveys or scientific data collection. Since the national speed limit of 90 km/h was repelled a while ago, some states did not raise their speed limits to a reasonable level sticking to the "safe" 105 km/h as in case with Oregon and a bunch of eastern states.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM   #3948
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

I read that NJ cops don't go after speeders unless you are doing above 80mph.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM   #3949
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Yeah in California the speed limit is ALMOST irrelevant as long as youre going with the flow of the traffic. Most situations everybody is going at least 80 mph (~130 km/h). If youre one of the few cars on the road then they'll get you. Sometimes they will take a row of people going to fast I've seen that. Many rural areas the speed limit is raised to 70 or 75 mph but it has to have long straight parts and basically no exits. The desert is a great example of that.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:05 AM   #3950
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

LtBk : Depends on the Location , in rural areas yes in more Suburban / Urban areas they don't hesitate to pull you over , but they been recently going after truckers as they gotten alot complaints about there reckless driving, like using the fast lane to chat along side a follow rig.

Heres more from my Mini Trip on Sunday!

Sheraton Crossroads is placed in a great Location @ the Interchanges of Interstate @ 287 , 87 ,NJ SR 17 , US Highway 202 , NY SR 59 and the near by Port Jervis - Ridgewood Train Route! Canon World or some HQ is next door as well!

image hosted on flickr

Half mile away is the New York State Border
image hosted on flickr

Route I-287 / 87 Eastbound / Southbound Ramp

image hosted on flickr

City of Suffern Is Below the Massive Interchange Complex

image hosted on flickr

A skipped a bunch of Photos in between the Interchange Complex in
Suffern, New York & this next photo in West Nyack / Nyack , New York

Last Exit before Tappan Zee Bridge And Toll!

image hosted on flickr

On The Bridge , noticed the uneven Pavement and redone railing on lights it makes me feel safer now !

image hosted on flickr

Approaching the Tarrytown Side of the Bridge.

image hosted on flickr

A view south towards NYC , unfortunately it was very cloudy , so u couldn't see it

image hosted on flickr

The View from the Restaurant Parking lot of the Tappan Zee Bridge ,Shame i didn't take it in to show the Portuguese Fried Shrimp i had

image hosted on flickr

Closer View

image hosted on flickr

Hope u enjoyed my little update!

~Corey Best
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM   #3951
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Many rural areas the speed limit is raised to 70 or 75 mph but it has to have long straight parts and basically no exits. The desert is a great example of that.
Did they raise the speed limit in California recently? I have yet to see "75 mph" on Californian motorways.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM   #3952
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Thanks for the pictures Nexis, good to see some familiar places. I used to work in Suffern last summer, right next to the Interstate crossing so I drove those roads numerous times, especially the Thruway.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #3953
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

If I ever moved back to the New York City area I'd love to in Rockland County.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #3954
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

I heard on the radio that Arizona shall be using some of its stimulus money to resign Interstate 19. The metric signs will be replaced with signs in American units.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #3955
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
I heard on the radio that Arizona shall be using some of its stimulus money to resign Interstate 19. The metric signs will be replaced with signs in American units.
Noo! The gov should step in to stop them.
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #3956
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Why? That makes no sense; it's like trading in a Ferrari for a Model T Ford.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #3957
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
That will stimulate the economy, no doubt
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3958
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

They better build a loop around Tucson...

This whole stimulus package is no more than a lot of people's personal agendas, rather than really a stimulus to the economy. Repaving a road does not stimulate economy, only in the short term for the company who repaves it. If you want to stimulate the economy, build new roads and bridges, which are also useful in the long term, after construction completed...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3959
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They better build a loop around Tucson...
The TATS proposed one in 1965, but it is highly contentious, and is most definitely not something that could be built within a short timeframe.

Quote:
This whole stimulus package is no more than a lot of people's personal agendas, rather than really a stimulus to the economy. Repaving a road does not stimulate economy, only in the short term for the company who repaves it. If you want to stimulate the economy, build new roads and bridges, which are also useful in the long term, after construction completed...
There is a distinction between short-term economic stimulus and social savings. Short-term economic stimulus is what we need right now in order to oppose the present cycle of contracting production and rising unemployment. In terms of the multiplier effects which are felt immediately, there is not much difference between large projects (which have substantial social savings but require long lead times to plan) and small resurfacing projects (which are actually a form of consumption rather than investment because the resurfacing work never lasts very long, but are relatively easy to design, bid, and build quickly).

The real objection to Obama's stimulus bill, which is starting to be discovered only now that it has been signed into law, is that it is really two things. It contains a very small component dedicated directly to economic stimulus, with the majority of the spending being dedicated to pursuing social savings through investments which won't be made until after 2010. If there is an economic recovery in late 2009/early 2010 as some optimists predict, this additional spending could actually create undesired short-run "crowding out" effects (though the investments would still be worth making for the long-term payoffs).

In my view, the stimulus bill would probably do more to revive the economy if it were approximately the same size, but dedicated more purely to economic stimulus instead of long-run investment. But very few state DOTs are in the fortunate position of having large projects sitting on the shelf, ready to go, so what we have right now is the current orgy of resurfacing contracts instead of the possibility of hitting two birds with one stone by building large capacity-increasing projects right now.

P.S. I don't support metrication of traffic signs in the US in general, but I am sorry to see I-19 go back to customary units. The local media (1, 2) has carried stories on the issue, with an I-19 sign rehabilitation contract likely to go to bid in July.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #3960
Alex Von Königsberg

It is a bit sad and counter-intuitive to see de-metrication being done using stimulus money. I thought stimulus bill should promote progressive solutions and innovations but not finance steps backward in time

On a side note, I see more and more 1-litre bottles on the shelves of American supermarkets, not to mention almost all smaller quantities are sold in 0,5 litres and not 20 US fl. oz. as before So many Americans drink from these 0,5-litre bottles everyday and yet complain that they have no idea how much a half-litre is. "Hi, I would like to buy that 16,9 oz bottle, please"

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban