daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #3961
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
It is a bit sad and counter-intuitive to see de-metrication being done using stimulus money. I thought stimulus bill should promote progressive solutions and innovations but not finance steps backward in time

On a side note, I see more and more 1-litre bottles on the shelves of American supermarkets, not to mention almost all smaller quantities are sold in 0,5 litres and not 20 US fl. oz. as before So many Americans drink from these 0,5-litre bottles everyday and yet complain that they have no idea how much a half-litre is. "Hi, I would like to buy that 16,9 oz bottle, please"
Frankly(and I know it's as much of a pipe dream as you guys think in the USA going metric), but I want to see the day when the EU, Africa, and much of Asia says good bye to the metric system and comes back to the Imperial system.

Metric makes too much sense. It's boring because it's 1 size fits all in the prefixes. With Imperial, you actually have to learn and have a comprehension across multiple sensories to understand it. Nothing boring about that.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #3962
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It's probably not boring, but it's more difficult and there are much more countries that use the metric system, so IMO it's not a good idea.
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #3963
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Frankly(and I know it's as much of a pipe dream as you guys think in the USA going metric), but I want to see the day when the EU, Africa, and much of Asia says good bye to the metric system and comes back to the Imperial system.

Metric makes too much sense. It's boring because it's 1 size fits all in the prefixes. With Imperial, you actually have to learn and have a comprehension across multiple sensories to understand it. Nothing boring about that.
I love this guy being ironic
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #3964
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
I want to see the day when the EU, Africa, and much of Asia says good bye to the metric system and comes back to the Imperial system.
I apologise for being dull, but this is a common misconception among Americans that the entire world was using the Imperial system before they switched to metric system If every country switched back to their respective system of measurements, then it would indeed break this boredom, hands down.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #3965
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

This whole stimulus package is no more than a lot of people's personal agendas, rather than really a stimulus to the economy.
Your lack of understanding of American politics and current events comes through again. Money for transportation is distributed to the states, who then figure out how they will spend it. So the stimulus money is allocated into certain areas, but the exact projects it will go to is determined by state, city, and county governments.

There are no "personal" agendas in the stimulus.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #3966
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Your lack of understanding of American politics and current events comes through again. Money for transportation is distributed to the states, who then figure out how they will spend it. So the stimulus money is allocated into certain areas, but the exact projects it will go to is determined by state, city, and county governments.

True. Its all the control of the MPO's and what they want. Thats American decentralized government for you.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM   #3967
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

MODOT wants to make a Diverging Diamond Intersection along I-44.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM   #3968
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

and why is that any better?
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3969
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Less traffic lights; less waiting times. But the idea is a bit too unorthodox in my opinion.
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3970
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Is that the same as a SPUI?

EDIT: No I guess it's not. It has traffic crossing over to the other side of the road. Something like that was proposed one place here in Ohio, but rejected overwhelmingly by the public.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM   #3971
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

as i see it, either build a proper highway interchange with no interruptions or use the classic types
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:24 AM   #3972
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

For the past several years, WisDOT (State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation) policy has been to consider roundabouts at all intersections on state highways where signals or four-way STOP signs are otherwise warranted that are planned to be built, substantially rebuilt or upgraded, including at freeway interchange ramp intersections.

They are appearing all over the state en-masse as a result.

If I were at MoDOT, I'd do the same at that one - that proposal looks like a dis-orienting mess in the making.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM   #3973
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
For the past several years, WisDOT (State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation) policy has been to consider roundabouts at all intersections on state highways where signals or four-way STOP signs are otherwise warranted that are planned to be built, substantially rebuilt or upgraded, including at freeway interchange ramp intersections.

If I were at MoDOT, I'd do the same at that one - that proposal looks like a dis-orienting mess in the making.

Mike
At first it does, but the more I look at it the more sense that intersection makes. I'd like to see one in action.

What round-about highway ramp ends are we talking about? I've only seen 1 or 2, both just North of Sheboygan off of I-43.
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM   #3974
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
and why is that any better?
Traffic coming off the freeway doesn't cross the road at any point, it simply merges with traffic without stopping. That means traffic simply crossing the freeway doesn't have to wait at the lights for any protected turns, keeping wait times short and not letting traffic build up.

It's pretty ingenious actually.
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM   #3975
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post

Stimulus money is allocated all over not just for transportation projects. There are personal agendas you better believe it. For example a senator X from Indiana can easily include a proposal to benefit a certain industry which happens to be heavily based in his native state. It has less to do with efficient and effective spending to boost the economy but more to do with securing his re-election.

The stimulus package is full of pork barrel spending and even Indiana is getting in on the action
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3976
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
MODOT wants to make a Diverging Diamond Intersection along I-44.
It is not just "wants." Bids were opened on the relevant contract more than a month ago (it was call number 801 in the letting of February 20, 2009) and at this point, I think the contract may already have been awarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

Roundabouts work only if the opposing flows are reasonably well balanced, which is not the case at this interchange. MoDOT considered a SPUI conversion but this would have entailed replacing the bridge (not just widening it) and the construction period would have been much longer, with more disruption to traffic. The DDI is, on paper at least, a better fit with MoDOT's current philosophy of "Practical Design": meeting the requirements at least cost and with least disruption to traffic.

MoDOT has at least one other DDI in the works, as part of a much larger project to build a flyover DC at what is currently the cloverleaf interchange between I-270 and SR 364 in metropolitan St. Louis. Preliminary plans are already available for this contract and bids will be opened probably in May or June.

Construction plans for both the Springfield and St. Louis DDIs are available for public viewing. Go to MoDOT's E-planroom, choose "Enter public planroom," and navigate to the relevant contracts--the I-270/SR 364 job is at the top of the first page ("N/A" given as call number) while the Springfield DDI is on the tenth page (call 801). (Copies can be downloaded, for free, but to do this you need to have a vendor account with both MoDOT and the Indoxservices planroom.)
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3977
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Why are there so many cars in LA's backyards? Don't they go to the junkyard? I sometimes think that the number of cars per capita is so high because of all these unused cars.
[IMG]http://i43.************/309rkae.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/wjt84o.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM   #3978
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

About that interchange, why don't they build roundabouts???
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #3979
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

I need to correct my last post. The I-44/SR 13 DDI in Springfield was actually call number 801 in MoDOT's November 21, 2008 letting. (The other contract I identified in my last post is actually for the US 60/US 65 interchange in Springfield.) Unfortunately, construction plans for the Springfield DDI are no longer available online.

I checked the bridge plans and it turns out that the bridge which carries SR 13 over I-44 is not even being widened. In fact, it is being left as is except for replacement of the median (including installation of concrete barriers and a glare screen), a 2 1/4" low-slump concrete deck overlay, and concrete repairs to the superstructure, which is a voided slab. The bridge was originally built in 1960.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:58 PM   #3980
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Named Thor View Post
At first it does, but the more I look at it the more sense that intersection makes. I'd like to see one in action.

What round-about highway ramp ends are we talking about? I've only seen 1 or 2, both just North of Sheboygan off of I-43.
WisDOT is planning roundabouts at EVERY side street interchange along US 41 and WI 29 in the Green Bay-De Pere area (24 roundabouts in total), most US 41 interchanges in the Oshkosh area (including 4 of them at US 41/Breezewood-Bell in Neenah) - work to begin this year, several with the planned WI 26 bypass freeway at Watertown, etc. They are going in all over the state.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban