daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4061
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Nice! That's a great stretch of Interstate. I believe reconstructed in the late 80's and early 90's. I was hoping for an approach into downtown Bellevue though! That would be impressive. BTW, the last half (after the main bridge), is through Mercer Island. The tunnels were required to get the project built as to leave the residential areas above basically untouched.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #4062
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Nice! That's a great stretch of Interstate. I believe reconstructed in the late 80's and early 90's. I was hoping for an approach into downtown Bellevue though! That would be impressive. BTW, the last half (after the main bridge), is through Mercer Island. The tunnels were required to get the project built as to leave the residential areas above basically untouched.
I'll see if I can make a Bellevue one for you once I get my license :]
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #4063
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I'll see if I can make a Bellevue one for you once I get my license :]
Thanks! Bellevue has developed into one of the premiere suburbs in the U.S., if you can still even call it a suburb. And good luck with that license!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #4064
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Thanks! Bellevue has developed into one of the premiere suburbs in the U.S., if you can still even call it a suburb. And good luck with that license!
Thank you :] Bellevue still has a long way to go before you can call it a big city. But I like the pace at which it's growing. It's not too fast so public services can catch up easily.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #4065
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
I hate it when cities build suburban style strip malls in a major urban city like Chicago.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4066
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah, in busy traffic, I usually pick a lane and keep to it, adjusting my speed to the car in front of me. The problem is we have only 2 - 3 lanes per direction, while there are often 4 or 5 in the US. At 4 or 5 lanes per direction, you don't slow down the entire freeway when someone's tapping his/her brake.
Only in bigger urban areas. Most of the time our freeways are two lanes per direction.
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #4067
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Named Thor View Post
Only in bigger urban areas. Most of the time our freeways are two lanes per direction.
I meant in larger urban areas
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #4068
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I hate it when cities build suburban style strip malls in a major urban city like Chicago.
That looks like a distribution center to me, unless you are referring to the shops in the lower left corner - that's on par for any city outside of downtown.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #4069
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
That looks like a distribution center to me, unless you are referring to the shops in the lower left corner - that's on par for any city outside of downtown.
That big 'distribution' center on the right is a major sorting center for UPS. The stuff to the left is a commercial area that serves the residents on Chicago's fast-growing near south side.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #4070
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
That big 'distribution' center on the right is a major sorting center for UPS. The stuff to the left is a commercial area that serves the residents on Chicago's fast-growing near south side.

Mike
Thanks. I'm not sure how it could look like a suburban style strip mall to anyone.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #4071
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Stimulus projects in Minnesota:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Lea Tribune
Interstate 35 to get variable-message signs

By Tim Engstrom | Albert Lea Tribune

Published Saturday, April 11, 2009

Interstate 90 between Albert Lea and Alden won’t be the only stretch of freeway in the area to get some work this summer. Interstate 35 in Freeborn County will receive variable message signs.

The Minnesota Department of Transportation on Wednesday unveiled its 2009 construction program of 223 state highway and bridge projects with a combined construction cost of $1.4 billion.

“Over the last six years we’ve moved forward with more highway construction than in any other comparable period in Minnesota’s history,” Gov. Tim Pawlenty said. “People sometimes say Minnesota has two seasons — winter and road construction. This past winter was pretty intense, and this upcoming construction season will be, too. Our aim is to move people and goods faster, better and safer throughout Minnesota.”

In southeastern Minnesota this includes 38 projects for a total construction cost of $159 million. “More than tripling the dollar amount spent on road and bridge construction in 2008, southeast Minnesota will see a number of projects this summer ranging from bridge replacements and highway overlays to safety projects like traffic signal installations,” said MnDOT District 6 engineer Nelrae Succio.

At a cost of $119,142, I-35 will get six variable message signs at various places in Freeborn County, with the work to be done in July and August. Intermittent shoulder closures will be the main traffic impact. Mankato Electric is the contractor.

And at a cost of an estimated $800,000, workers will upgrade signage on I-35 between the I-90 cloverleaf and Minnesota Highway 19 in Rice County. The contract will be determined in May, and the work begins in July.

Readers of the Albert Lea Tribune already are familiar with the Minnesota Department of Transportation and Freeborn County Highway Department working together to secure about $20 million in federal stimulus funding for work on I-90 and County Road 46 between Albert Lea and Alden.

About $16 million of it is for a bituminous overlay on the westbound lanes of I-90 between Albert Lea and Alden and a concrete overlay on the eastbound lanes. The remaining $4 million is for an overlay on County 46.

The work on I-90 and County 46 will be done between May and September. Ulland Brothers Inc. is the contractor. Without the stimulus, this project likely wouldn’t have been done until 2011.

Some other MnDOT projects in the region this summer are:

• Realigning and expanding Highway 14 south of Owatonna and building a new I-35/Highway 14 interchange, with a construction cost of $51.8 million.

• Replacing bridges on I-90 in Mower County at a construction cost of $13.5 million.

• Replacing bridges on I-90 in Winona County at a construction cost of $4.4 million.

• Repairing pavement on I-90 in Faribault County at construction cost of $3.9 million.

• Resurfacing Highway 60 in Goodhue County construction cost of $3.3 million.

• Bridge rehabilitation for 10 bridges on I-35 in Rice County and an overlay of north and south lanes at cost of $8.2 million.

• Concrete overlay, culvert replacements and guardrail work on I-35 northbound lanes in Steele County, mostly south of Owatonna, at a cost of $9.4 million.
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #4072
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Good news in the Pittsburgh area.

Quote:
Lawmakers look to put 376 project in fast lane
Published: Sunday, April 12, 2009

By Jeanne Starmack

NEW CASTLE, Pa. — Along Pa. Route 60 in Lawrence County, the signs proclaim: Future 376 corridor.

They’ve been there since 2005, recalls Dan Vogler, Lawrence County commissioner.

Talk of renaming Route 60 and the rest of a route that begins in Monroeville, Pa., started many years before those signs went up, Vogler said.

By the end of this year, it may finally happen.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation plans to ask the Federal Highway Administration for the Interstate 376 designation.

That’s good news, officials say, for travelers and for area businesses as a route that has four to five names, depending on which stretch of it you’re on, becomes an easily recognizable interstate on the map.

Companies considering the area when it comes time to locate their businesses or do business with companies here will no longer think there’s no clear way from point A to point B.

They’ll see an interstate running through the area that can be reached via an exit off Interstate 80 in Mercer County or an exit off the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Allegheny County, with a straight shot to the Pittsburgh airport in between.

“Pittsburgh International Airport is currently the only major airport not on a federal interstate and, for years, this has hurt our region’s efforts to attract new companies,” said U.S. Rep. Jason Altmire of McCandless, D-4th.

Altmire has been advocating for the designation in Washington. He calls the corridor “a powerful economic development tool” for western Pennsylvania.

The future corridor begins in Monroeville off the turnpike exit there as Interstate 376. It’s also Pa. Route 22 and Route 22/30 to the Point in Pittsburgh.

Heading south through the Fort Pitt Tunnel, the road the corridor will follow is Interstate 279. It is Route 22/30 also, until it becomes Route 60 near the airport. It remains Route 60 into Beaver, Lawrence and, finally, Mercer counties.

Once the route is redesignated, it will become Interstate 376 the whole way, Vogler said.

Not only will it simplify driving directions, it also will allow PennDOT to obtain more federal funds to maintain the route, he said.

The part of Route 60 that’s a toll road, in Beaver County, will remain so, Vogler added.

Before the FHA will designate the new interstate, parts of the route have to be brought up to federal highway standards, Vogler said.

One trouble spot is at the intersection of Route 60 and U.S. Route 422 in Lawrence County where the north and south lanes narrow to one lane each way, he said. The road has to be widened there.

Vogler said that even if the work is not complete, the interstate designation can be obtained as long as improvements are in the design stages.

Altmire obtained $750,000 in last year’s federal budget for improving the intersection, according to information provided by his office.
Future I-376:

[IMG]http://i43.************/3304pwy.png[/IMG]
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #4073
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

This is going to be all over the country. In my area of NJ there is a talk that with this stimulus money state will finally upgrade RT 17 in Maywood, NJ and make something like that below - RT 287 New Jersey

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #4074
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Nice.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #4075
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Nice Shot of I-287, you know widing NJ 17 in Maywood is going to be a tough project , Some of Restaurants & other Businesses are literally right next to the highway with maybe less then 10 feet to spare. The Highway itself can't be shutdown. One solution ive always had is elevate 17 over that area where there is congestion, from all the stores. Now what puzzles me about Route 17 is that they fixed the 4/17 Interchange complex , but didn't fix the Maywood section @ the same time? Many of the Bottlenecks heading South are from after 4/17 , and Mall Merging traffic you immediately go from 5 lanes to 2 lanes in less then 800 ft , even @ midnight theres a small bottleneck. If this project were complete I can go south from Linwood Avenue to I-80 without any Bottlenecks. This would be the last location of NJ 17 that needs a major overhaul. After This is done they should focus on the US 46 / NJ 3 / Valley Road Interchange, that is much worse the NJ 17 problem and is Pile up waited to happen.

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #4076
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Do you mind writing in normal text?
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #4077
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
I-12 scheduled for improvements

Posted: April 15, 2009 05:04 PM

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Governor Bobby Jindal announced Tuesday that half-a-billion state and federal dollars will go towards Louisiana bridges and highways, with $100 million of that going toward Interstate 12.

The money will focus on the stretch of I-12 between Baton Rouge and Range Avenue in Denham Springs.

The project includes new capacity projects, capital outlay, and statewide highway projects.
What's the condition of Interstate 12? I thought southern Louisiana highways were not in a very good condition...
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #4078
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do you mind writing in normal text?
BuT hE's LiKe ToTaLLY SpEcIal AnD KOOL!

He'S aN iNdIvIdUaL!

(I agree ChrisZwolle - it's wanky & lame)
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4079
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Nice Shot of I-287, you know widing NJ 17 in Maywood is going to be a tough project , Some of Restaurants & other Businesses are literally right next to the highway with maybe less then 10 feet to spare. The Highway itself can't be shutdown. One solution ive always had is elevate 17 over that area where there is congestion, from all the stores. Now what puzzles me about Route 17 is that they fixed the 4/17 Interchange complex , but didn't fix the Maywood section @ the same time? Many of the Bottlenecks heading South are from after 4/17 , and Mall Merging traffic you immediately go from 5 lanes to 2 lanes in less then 800 ft , even @ midnight theres a small bottleneck. If this project were complete I can go south from Linwood Avenue to I-80 without any Bottlenecks. This would be the last location of NJ 17 that needs a major overhaul. After This is done they should focus on the US 46 / NJ 3 / Valley Road Interchange, that is much worse the NJ 17 problem and is Pile up waited to happen.

~Corey

I certainly know what you are talking about - I live in Paramus and pass rt 17 every day.
But after numerous times passing all these businesses by I examined the road there and have to say - it is not going to be that hard to expand / widen the road there to 3 lanes and a shoulder. There are 6 bridges that cross the road in Maywood / La Rochelle 2 miles stretch that needs upgrading. the biggest one - Essex street have been finished already. there is one more big one (RR bridge) which is in bad shape and actually turned 11 inches off its original position. So these have to be addressed first.

All these businesses are indeed too close to the road, but same situation was on the Essex street just down the road and it was solved by building another small road at the back of the businesses as an access road. So you can enter the stores from the main street, but you can exit it only in one designated exit which will be at the back. Only two buildings will have to be moved / destroyed in the process of widening the road - one is right after the RR bridge Rt17 north (right across the street from Saab dealership) and this is some old warehouse which has nothing special about it. also there is a house on Pascack rd right next to the highway and this looks like a historic house to me and thus has to be probably moved to the side. In any case - all of the above is complicated by certainly doable.

Finally here is another seemingly benign issue that popped out last year - they found toxic chemicals and radiation all along rt 17 in Lodi / Maywood area - where Sears warehouse is. It is rather in inactive state being spread there by the nearby river and originated from toxic waste Ford factory was dumping into the river until 1947. Ford is long gone but its crap is still here. That is why you see all this excavations going on and people in masks dig in the ground on the northern side of the road - until they will be done, and this is one wild card guess "when" - nothing will go forward.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #4080
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1016 View Post
Nice.
It is a very nice highway indeed. NYC metropolitan area is expanding daily, so one day 287 will become one major road that circles NYC to the west of it. Also mountains along the way -are simply gorgeous.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban