daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #4161
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Variable speed limit signs on I-90 in Washington State near Seattle are up! Cool stuff. I like the European overhead gantries better, but this is quite unique.

HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #4162
mati162c

Likes (Received): 0

looking at those pictures in the middle of this page, i find it funny that, what u've called an empty road, we would call a crowded one, and what u've called not so bad traffic would be considered as a traffic jam in here...
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #4163
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I-275westcoastfl made pics of the reconstruction of the I-275, where the northbound traffic moved to a new lane, next to the old one. The old northbound lane is thus empty and that's what he consideres to be a weird sight...
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #4164
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Spain = plenty of motorway + extensive subway + huge HSR.

Actually, any country that REALLY invests in infrastructure.
In that case I agree with you 100%. Balance is key.
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #4165
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I-275westcoastfl made pics of the reconstruction of the I-275, where the northbound traffic moved to a new lane, next to the old one. The old northbound lane is thus empty and that's what he considers to be a weird sight...
Correct! That empty road will eventually be grass, it's a weird sight because normally at rush hour it's jammed and not moving anywhere fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati162c View Post
looking at those pictures in the middle of this page, i find it funny that, what u've called an empty road, we would call a crowded one, and what u've called not so bad traffic would be considered as a traffic jam in here...
I've been to Warsaw and you guys have bad traffic in a couple areas because the roads are small. But since you brought it up the traffic in the pic was not as bad as it normally is, those pics were taken during rush hour and normally you are moving at 5-10 mph stop and go traffic. If you look on the left side of the pic below, it's normally like that. Florida has terrible traffic for the city populations due to sprawl and poor planning.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #4166
I-275westcoastfl

Here are a couple more pics of I-275 heading east starting further back.

The traffic is starting, keep in mind this is a Sunday too.

The merge to the newly constructed part/still under construction.

Now the opposite way a couple hours later

Right after the I-4/I-275 Interchange heading west.

Howard Frankland Bridge

I-275/Ulmerton Rd(Hwy 668 I think) Interchange/Exit

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #4167
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Tampa bay has a bit weird road layout. There are actually not many freeways for the population, only the I-275 to serve the St. Petersburg peninsula part, and the I-75 is not really useful to commuters. That only leaves a portion of the I-4 and the Selmon toll road.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #4168
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Tampa bay has a bit weird road layout. There are actually not many freeways for the population, only the I-275 to serve the St. Petersburg peninsula part, and the I-75 is not really useful to commuters. That only leaves a portion of the I-4 and the Selmon toll road.
US 19 in Pinellas County (peninsula) is actually limited access in parts through St Petersburg and Clearwater, and it serves as a fast route through the peninsula when it's not rush hour. But it's one of the most dangerous stretches of suburban highway in the country because not all of the major intersections have overpasses for thru-traffic.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4169
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
I just looked at the map of the Tampa Bay area and it looks like IH-275 is the "main" highway through town while IH-75 is the "loop" around town.

For some weird reason I thought the 275 you were posting was Interstate 175 and 375 that go into downtown St. Petersburg. I got the numbers mixed up.

Last edited by FM 2258; May 11th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4170
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, but there are quite large urban areas not served by a freeway in the Tampa Bay, especially along the west coast. Surface streets ought to be pretty wide there...
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #4171
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Yea I agree, the metro has no real loop and the highways are limited. I-75 is actually useful but you have to get onto I-275/I-4 or Crosstown Expressway to get into Tampa or out of Tampa, not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
US 19 in Pinellas County (peninsula) is actually limited access in parts through St Petersburg and Clearwater, and it serves as a fast route through the peninsula when it's not rush hour. But it's one of the most dangerous stretches of suburban highway in the country because not all of the major intersections have overpasses for thru-traffic.
Yes it is a very dangerous road, the traffic is bad and the light timing is also bad meaning more traffic. It is the ONLY North/South highway that goes from St. Petersburg to Clearwater. They are trying to make US19 have overpasses from St. Pete to Clearwater but funding has made that more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I just looked at the map of the Tampa Bay area and it looks like IH-275 is the "main" highway through town while IH-75 is the "loop" around town.

For some weird reason I thought the 275 you were posting was Interstate 175 and 375 that go into downtown St. Petersburg. I got the numbers mixed up.
I-175 and I-375 are just two small stretches of highway going into downtown St. Petersburg.

Quote:
Yeah, but there are quite large urban areas not served by a freeway in the Tampa Bay, especially along the west coast. Surface streets ought to be pretty wide there...
That is correct but the surface streets often are not wide enough or have poor light timing making commuting a living hell sometimes.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Los Angeles: I-405.

I-110
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #4173
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Haha I love how they've gotten into making the cut retaining walls appear "natural." (just look at the 405 picture. It's a trend in Caltrans I guess. Reminds me of a theme park or something. Definitely better than a bare wall. I like it. I'm sure other places do it too I just notice it a lot around where I live.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #4174
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

FINALLY a full concept: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres...Operations.pdf
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #4175
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
beautiful...

love those concepts..i was in europe a few summers ago..and wondered..why the heck can't we have systems like this here?
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #4176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
In Germany, hard shoulder running is used with speed harmonization to address freeway capacity bottlenecks. It allows for additional capacity during congestion and has been in use since the 1990s. The Netherlands started using this strategy in 2003 as part of a larger program to improve use of the existing infrastructure.
I believe it was 1993 on the A28 near Utrecht. Could've been the first in the world.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #4177
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

I don't think it is--I think I-66 in northern Virginia had peak-time shoulder operation before 1993.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #4178
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I just checked it, the first in NL was 1996 on A28.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #4179
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Very nice concept! America is slowly catching up with those Old World's innovations One of my biggest pet peeves in American design is the use of text instead of pictographs. But hey, not bad for a start...
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #4180
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I just checked it, the first in NL was 1996 on A28.
Is it possible the basis for the Dutch claim is the use of variable speed limits? I-66 has shoulder operation but no variable speed limits (unless this has been introduced since I was last in the DC area in 1998), and I am not aware of any pre-1990's installations featuring both shoulder running and variable speed limits.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban