daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #4281
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Approximate routing:
[IMG]http://i39.************/mcssht.png[/IMG]
Quote:
Birmingham, Alabama's new northern beltline will be numbered Interstate 422
I wonder why 422. I makes sense to make it a continuation of 459 according to the map.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #4282
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I wonder why 422. I makes sense to make it a continuation of 459 according to the map.
It does not feed back into I-459 on the east side, resulting in what would otherwise be a very awkward numbering situation.

Anyways, two separate numbers for different halves of a beltline is used elsewhere (see I-494/694 in the MStP area, for example).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #4283
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
It does not feed back into I-459 on the east side, resulting in what would otherwise be a very awkward numbering situation.

Anyways, two separate numbers for different halves of a beltline is used elsewhere (see I-494/694 in the MStP area, for example).

Mike
Ok, I see. 422 will make sense. It's good to see that 22 will get some importance already having a loop in the works.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:35 AM   #4284
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Cool pic that I found on wikipedia.

It's the Alexander Hamilton Bridge in New York, which carries I-95 and US1 above the Harlem River from the Bronx into Manhattan. It is just a few minutes (bar traffic) from the even larger George Washington Bridge. Upper Manhattan is in the background.

[IMG]http://i41.************/zjcl6v.jpg[/IMG]
FULL SIZE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...trafficjeh.jpg
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM   #4285
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

I hate that Expressway , doesn't move above 25 mph all day long
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM   #4286
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

I wonder if the expressway system in NYC is ever going to be fixed.

Last edited by LtBk; June 1st, 2009 at 09:20 AM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM   #4287
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

NYC actually has a lot of highways, just look at google and it's amazing how many they have. Of course they will have bad traffic as many are 6 lanes and well NYC is a huge city. On the contrary down here we have a bad highway system so our traffic is bad because of that.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4288
insertnickhere
зъл "комунист" :)

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Atlanta stop-and-go traffic. Doesn't seem too bad though for such a large metropolitan area with a relatively limited freeway network. (the existing freeways are huge though)
its not the downtown you have to worry about, its going anywhere *from* there. good luck on that
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM   #4289
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I wonder if the expressway system in NYC is ever going to be fixed.
They need to be realigned and updated. Now capacity stops at 120,000 AADT on six lanes, while 180,000 is technically possible.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:21 AM   #4290
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
They need to be realigned and updated. Now capacity stops at 120,000 AADT on six lanes, while 180,000 is technically possible.
I agree, the need to realign and update is there, but the reality is it would be a monumental task due to the density of the NYC metro area. I can't imagine how many residents and businesses would have to be moved to rebuild the system, not to mention the cost.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:02 AM   #4291
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Birmingham, Alabama's new northern beltline will be numbered Interstate 422
Is that road even necessary? Do you know the timetable for its construction?
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #4292
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Is that road even necessary? Do you know the timetable for its construction?
Officially, by 2025-2030. Which means they'll be finishing construction sometime around 2100.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #4293
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

So I read today that the Highway Trust Fund will need around an $8 billion infusion to prevent it from going broke and forcing states to suspend bridge and highway projects.

CAN WE FINALLY RAISE THE GAS TAX!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #4294
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Quote:
No thanks.
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #4295
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
So I read today that the Highway Trust Fund will need around an $8 billion infusion to prevent it from going broke and forcing states to suspend bridge and highway projects.

Yeah seriously, Americans need to stop complaining. Our gas prices are low enough as it is, but then people want all these projects and are not willing to pay for them. No wonder the infrastructure is in ruins. No long term thinking at all.

And btw, I can say that because I'm an American.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #4296
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I'd rather pay a flat amount of tax per year lets say on registration or something. Gas prices change too much so of course the popularity will be low. Our gas prices may be low compared to lets say Europe but we also drive much more than that conitnent. I get gas about every week and a half or so, that's because I have a short commute to school and work with some highway mileage but mostly city in considerable traffic. Now imagine those who commute further distances or those who drive around in their business, gas can get pretty expensive for them. The tax would have to be raised considerably to European levels to even make a difference which would anger people even more, not the solution.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #4297
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I'd rather pay a flat amount of tax per year, let's say on registration or something.
That really wouldn't work for the paycheck-to-paycheck folk, who would have to find a few hundred dollars to pay a road use fee in a lump sum.

Quote:
Gas prices change too much so of course the popularity will be low. Our gas prices may be low compared to lets say Europe but we also drive much more than that continent.
Not really. Annual mileages per regular driver are actually very similar, though single-car households are much more the norm and people are accustomed to budgeting larger amounts of money for car usage.

Quote:
I get gas about every week and a half or so, that's because I have a short commute to school and work with some highway mileage but mostly city in considerable traffic. Now imagine those who commute further distances or those who drive around in their business, gas can get pretty expensive for them.
People who commute for long distances can usually count on being able to do a higher proportion of it on the open road, when fuel efficiency is higher. Transport-dependent businesses usually pass on the cost of motor fuel (including tax) to their customers eventually.

Keep in mind that in most US states, the gasoline tax is not more than 50c per gallon--the base price of gasoline fluctuates much more than that in the course of a year. It has already increased by more than this from January to June of this year, for example. The gasoline tax would have to increase by a factor of three before it had a noticeable effect in smoothing out price fluctuations.

Quote:
The tax would have to be raised considerably to European levels to even make a difference which would anger people even more, not the solution.
I disagree. There are some large states (e.g. Florida, Texas, Georgia) where raising the gasoline tax is seen as a political "third rail," but there are plenty of others where the public supports gasoline tax increases. In those states the increases tend to be visibly linked to lists of projects which the increases will fund.

It makes much more sense to increase the gasoline tax than to use registration fees or tolls as funding mechanisms because (1) it is cheap to collect, (2) it is paid in small amounts at the pump instead of in a lump sum which strains household budgets, and (3) the amount of tax paid is proportional to use. Moreover, as a driver you can give yourself a tax cut, and save money on gasoline as well, simply by driving a more fuel-efficient car.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #4298
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRidge View Post
No thanks.
Any other ideas on how to fund the road infrastructure maintenance and upgrade? Something tells me you would be against the tolls or increased vehicle registration fees either. So, where would the money come from, my friend?
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #4299
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^America is great.

Citizens who want the best services the world has to offer.
Citizens who don't want to pay for them.

No wonder the financial system is failing.
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #4300
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

We lost a golden opportunity to raise fuel taxes in the fall and winter, when the price of gas was plummeting well below $2, but the memory of $4 gas was still fresh. A bump in the federal tax probably to 50 cents/gal or so would have not made much of a blow in sentiment because of the memory, and the relatively low prices that was seen back then.

In December, when I filled up at $1.63...it would raise up to $1.95 if the federal tax was raised to 50 cents ($1.63-0.18=$1.45+0.5=1.95). That would still have been cheap in the eyes of this consumer that experienced paying $4.49 in June 08. And more could have been done because the federal fuel tax would have been almost tripled, so there would be more money in their coffers for these projects.

But now....forget it. People have gotten used to the relatively cheaper prices of the last few months that even the "spike" seen in the last weeks is seen as amazing, even though we dealt with worse this time last year. If the fuel tax was raised to 50 cents, the price of gas would go well above $3/gallon and would be considered unacceptable to the public. Like I said...an opportunity was lost. You raise the gas tax when gas is cheap.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban