daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #4301
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
We lost a golden opportunity to raise fuel taxes in the fall and winter, when the price of gas was plummeting well below $2, but the memory of $4 gas was still fresh. A bump in the federal tax probably to 50 cents/gal or so would have not made much of a blow in sentiment because of the memory, and the relatively low prices that was seen back then.

In December, when I filled up at $1.63...it would raise up to $1.95 if the federal tax was raised to 50 cents ($1.63-0.18=$1.45+0.5=1.95). That would still have been cheap in the eyes of this consumer that experienced paying $4.49 in June 08. And more could have been done because the federal fuel tax would have been almost tripled, so there would be more money in their coffers for these projects.

But now....forget it. People have gotten used to the relatively cheaper prices of the last few months that even the "spike" seen in the last weeks is seen as amazing, even though we dealt with worse this time last year. If the fuel tax was raised to 50 cents, the price of gas would go well above $3/gallon and would be considered unacceptable to the public. Like I said...an opportunity was lost. You raise the gas tax when gas is cheap.
raising taxes is a big political issue - no one will do it now. too much other things are at stake - medical coverage for example. not everything can be done at once.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #4302
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Well, there will be a time when we will have to deal with the consequences of neglecting our infrastructure, and the funding for it. I understand that there is plenty of problems to tackle, but infrastructure should be one of the biggest priorities IMHO.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #4303
konrakfon
User of Thailand

Likes (Received): 0

[USA] United States Highway

All Pictures From www.aaroads.com/midwest , www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic , www.aaroads.com/delaware , www.aaroads.com/texas , www.aaroads.com/southeast , www.rockymountainroads.com , www.northeastroads.com , www.southeastroads.com , www.westcoastroads.com

----------------------------------

Contents

Interstate 4 (....... Post)
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #4304
konrakfon
User of Thailand

Interstate 4

Interstate 4 Eastbound at Florida State
Interstate 4 Eastbound - Hillsborough County
Interstate 4 East

The eastbound beginning of Interstate 4 from the perspective of the Interstate 275 northbound ramp (Exit 45B). Advance notice is given to drivers of the Exit 1 split-diamond interchange with Florida 585 (21st & 22nd Street). A right-tab was added during the Interstate 4 reconstruction as eastbound traffic drove on the old westbound lanes, resulting in a temporary left-hand exit, as the on-ramp entered from the left.1 The tab was removed by fall 2007. Photo taken 08/25/07.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #4305
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

We already have a 3000 + replies topic about the US Interstates.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4306
konrakfon
User of Thailand

Interstate 4

Interstate 4 Eastbound at Florida State

From www.southeastroads.com

Interstate 4 Eastbound - Hillsborough County
Interstate 4 East

The eastbound beginning of Interstate 4 from the perspective of the Interstate 275 northbound ramp (Exit 45B). Advance notice is given to drivers of the Exit 1 split-diamond interchange with Florida 585 (21st & 22nd Street). A right-tab was added during the Interstate 4 reconstruction as eastbound traffic drove on the old westbound lanes, resulting in a temporary left-hand exit, as the on-ramp entered from the left.1 The tab was removed by fall 2007. Photo taken 08/25/07.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #4307
konrakfon
User of Thailand

Traveling from Interstate 275 south onto Interstate 4 east with the one-mile overhead for Florida 585 (Exit 1). Photo taken 10/16/07.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #4308
konrakfon
User of Thailand

The southbound ramp from Interstate 275 to Interstate 4 east represents the highest level of the stack interchange between the two freeways. Photo taken 10/16/07.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #4309
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Hotlinking doesn't seem to work. You might as well give a link to the appropriate AAroads site.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4310
konrakfon
User of Thailand

Both ramps from Interstate 275 combine and Interstate 4 eastbound is born. Pictured here is the 0.25-mile overhead for Florida 585. Florida 585 partitions into a one-way street couplet through YBor City. Northbound follows 22nd Street; southbound follows 21st Street. The split-alignment exists between Florida 60 (Adamo Drive) at the Crosstown Expressway northward to 23rd Avenue. Photo taken 11/10/07.
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #4311
Snowguy716

Likes (Received): 1

This video isn't all that great, but you get to hear how bad our roads are in Minnesota due to the harsh winters and lack of investment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR-9CWJkdSk

This is a good tour along I-94 through St. Paul and Minneapolis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrRay7MGFq0
Snowguy716 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #4312
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

The federal gas tax hasn't been raised in over 15 years. Meanwhile, the costs of road repair and maintenance have SKYROCKETED over that time. The gas tax needs to be raised or the federal government should just fund highways out of general revenues. SOMETHING has to be done. Patchwork fixes and yearly infusions of money from the general fund isn't going to cut it.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #4313
hoosier

Also, raising the gas tax would encourage the production of more fuel efficient vehicles and less driving. While this will negatively impact revenues for highways, less driving= less need for maintenance and repair. Furthermore, encouraging people to use more mass transit is a great idea, which raising the gas tax would do.
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #4314
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Well, there will be a time when we will have to deal with the consequences of neglecting our infrastructure, and the funding for it. I understand that there is plenty of problems to tackle, but infrastructure should be one of the biggest priorities IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Also, raising the gas tax would encourage the production of more fuel efficient vehicles and less driving. While this will negatively impact revenues for highways, less driving= less need for maintenance and repair. Furthermore, encouraging people to use more mass transit is a great idea, which raising the gas tax would do.
Don't get me wrong - I think we have to do it. But I am just trying to look realistically at the list of things that are being done as we speak and I see everything with such a huge tail of problems that I hardly can imagine Obama (he is only human) can handle all of these. He just started and he already is facing with huge nut to crack as his inheritance: Health care and SS reform - these are two huge and enormously expensive things to do on top of 2 billion deficit that we already have. And mind something else: everyone in Europe is announcing that we are dying and dollar is done with. I just don't see how can we do all this now on the borrowed dime from China. If you know something that I don't please share it with me so I can share your ideas.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #4315
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
This would be nice if only that were true. For the most part people have cut back on driving as much as they can, even then most of the cities in the US have a pathetic mass transit system so that isn't even an option. It would have negative impacts for many people.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4316
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Don't get me wrong - I think we have to do it. But I am just trying to look realistically at the list of things that are being done as we speak and I see everything with such a huge tail of problems that I hardly can imagine Obama (he is only human) can handle all of these. He just started and he already is facing with huge nut to crack as his inheritance: Health care and SS reform - these are two huge and enormously expensive things to do on top of 2 billion deficit that we already have. And mind something else: everyone in Europe is announcing that we are dying and dollar is done with. I just don't see how can we do all this now on the borrowed dime from China. If you know something that I don't please share it with me so I can share your ideas.
Well, a good way to get more revenue while not borrowing money is by...raising the fuel tax.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #4317
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
This would be nice if only that were true. For the most part people have cut back on driving as much as they can, even then most of the cities in the US have a pathetic mass transit system so that isn't even an option. It would have negative impacts for many people.
Well, expensive fuel would encourage the construction and improvement of mass transit systems. Either raise the gas tax to encourage mass transit expansion and usage or build the mass transit infrastructure first and then raise the gas tax.
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #4318
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Health care and SS reform - these are two huge and enormously expensive things to do on top of 2 billion deficit that we already have. And mind something else: everyone in Europe is announcing that we are dying and dollar is done with. I just don't see how can we do all this now on the borrowed dime from China. If you know something that I don't please share it with me so I can share your ideas.
Actually, Social Security is in pretty good shape and only needs minor tweaks. My proposal would be to have all wages subject to the payroll tax, not just those up to $94,100.
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #4319
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

No social security needs to go away, it will become to large of a burden as the majority of our population ages. We should be able to keep our money and invest it how we want to to protect our future. Social Security already has a pathetic payout and it will decrease over time and go away. If we eliminated it the budget would have a lot more money to work with such as improving highways.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #4320
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

If you abolish Social Security, what is your plan for dealing with elderly people who starve? Not everyone makes net gains on his or her investments. Social Security was never meant to be an investment, although it has proved to be a remarkably successful one for people who started paying in early--it is a safety net.

Anyway, if the objective is to mobilize productive investment, abolishing Social Security is a bad choice because money spent on it is recycled through consumers and the financial markets and thus supports the economy directly. What would make sense is realignment of our defense budget so that we spend much less on materiél that never sees combat and much more on technologies which can be repurposed for peaceful civilian applications. Military Keynesianism as currently practiced does little more than resist the tendency of the rate of profit to fall, and is not systematically optimized to stimulate Schumpeterian innovation.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban