daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #4441
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Can all the other roads make it the number that high? 78,000 miles of highway for one state sounds incredible.

Don't even think CA or TX have that much.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #4442
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

There are no county routes in North Carolina, that's why NCDOT has such a large highway network to maintain.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #4443
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

In North Carolina, the state DOT owns and maintains nearly EVERY public road in the state outside of the state's cities. Virginia is similar. This includes local roads down to the tiniest of middle-of-nowhere tracks leading to cabins in the woods.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4444
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Katy Freeway (I-10) in Houston in HD!:
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #4445
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Man Texas sure does know how to make good freeways! Great video, you know it's Texas because just about every driver who switched lanes in the video didn't use their signal lol.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #4446
architect77

Likes (Received): 1

Here's a visual regarding NC's 80,000 miles of interstate, federal, and state highways...

architect77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #4447
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dallas Texas stadium:
[IMG]http://i40.************/nytt9k.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #4448
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It will be quite a walk from the furthest parking spot to the stadium
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #4449
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18168

US highway travel rises for first time since Dec 07

WASHINGTON, June 19 (Reuters) - Low gasoline prices and rising optimism about the economy boosted U.S. driving in April, marking the first monthly rise in U.S. highway travel since December 2007, the U.S. Transportation Department said.

U.S. highway travel was up 0.6 percent in April, rising 1.4 billion miles to 249.5 billion miles.

April's increase followed 16 consecutive months of declines in highway travel as high fuel prices and the weak economy took its toll on American driving habits.

Recent government data, however, suggests that parts of the U.S. economy may be starting to improve.

"By and large (the rise in highway travel) is an indication of some increased confidence on the part of the consumer that is encouraging them to drive a bit more," said Jim Ritterbusch, president of Ritterbusch & Associates in Galena, Illinois.

He cautioned against reading too much into one month's data, however. He said rising gasoline prices may once again put a dent in gasoline consumption.

U.S. gasoline prices hit record levels above $4 a gallon last summer before plummeting below $2 a gallon earlier this year. But with oil prices on the rebound, gasoline costs have begun climbing in recent months.

Tim Evans, an energy analyst for Citi Futures Perspective, said he is not sure if the April increase in driving really indicates a shift in gasoline demand. He said other factors such as rising unemployment would likely continue to dampen gasoline consumption.

"I would like to see more than one month's worth of data," Evans said. "It's hopeful, it's constructive, but it is not in my mind conclusive."

For the first four months of the year, driving was still down 1.1 percent, or 10 billion miles, from the same period last year.

Highway travel rose in every region of the country in April, except the Northeast, where travel was unchanged from a year ago.

The Western region of the United States, made up of 13 states from Colorado to California, had the biggest increase in highway travel, up 1.3 percent from a year ago to 55.1 billion miles.

Phil Flynn, an analyst for Alaron Trading in Chicago, said he believes gasoline demand will not fall as it did last year, despite the rising prices.

"I think gasoline demand has turned a corner. I think the (highway) report shows the worse of the recession is probably over. It doesn't mean that gasoline demand is going to soar, but it means that we've improved a little bit," he said.

The Transportation Department tracks motorists through more than 4,000 automatic traffic recorders operated by state highway agencies.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #4450
architect77

This is the new interchange of US70 and US17 over water in New Bern, NC.

The scary Yadkin River Bridge on I-85 in central North Carolina- These cars and trucks are going at least 65-70mph over this narrow 60 year old bridge.

Report on replacing the bridge-Sorry if it's boring...

And finally the eastern end of the I-40/I-85 Duplex:

Last edited by architect77; June 29th, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #4451
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
This is the new interchange of US70 and US17 over water in New Bern, NC.

The scary Yadkin River Bridge on I-85 in central North Carolina- These cars and trucks are going at least 65-70mph over this narrow 60 year old bridge.

And finally the eastern end of the I-40/I-85 Duplex:

where can I find more info and pictures about new interchange of US70 and US17 over water in New Bern, NC? thank you

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #4452
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Public transit is quite feasible in Houston. The single light rail line that opened in 2003 has been a big success and if you look at the link I provided in an earlier post you will see that by 2012 several more light rail lines will be finished. The city voters approved a tax increase to pay for these lines because they were sick of being stuck in traffic.
Yeah, well Houston is a 5.7 million metropolitan area, so a light rail line can be expected to draw some travellers. I think another rail lines to Uptown and the airport can also count on some traveller potential.

However, Houston is extremely large, and I don't think light rail are a solution for transporation in large parts of the city. Houston is a private transport-reliant city, and always will be, considering the layout and expansion of the city.
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #4453
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Just finished an 8000km road trip in the US, mostly using freeways. Was really shocked at the terrible quality of most roads, but I guess all the construction we saw too is rectifying at least some of that.

The trip was fantastic though.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #4454
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Did you take any pics?
Danielk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #4455
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Interesting bridge. I love the sound of 18-wheelers going by on the freeway.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4456
architect77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
where can I find more info and pictures about new interchange of US70 and US17 over water in New Bern, NC? thank you
I was only able to find small resolution images when I googled "neuse river bridge new bern nc"
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #4457
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Did you take any pics?
About 1200 total, but none really of just roads and such.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM   #4458
bakatje

Some pics I took during my summer vacation a year ago, bit of Arizona and the desert. Not even sure if they're worth posting, but meh.

On our way to Phoenix

Roofs of suburbia, this is something you'll see all the time when driving through Phoenix.

Stadium

We're going to LA!

Desert road

Windmills, being a Dutchman I'm used to these!

Entering LA!

Hope you liked my contribution.

brewerfan386 liked this post
bakatje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM   #4459
ChrisZwolle
Road user

From what I've seen on pics and from Google Earth, Arizona's freeways are much better than the Californian ones.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:00 AM   #4460
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
From what I've seen on pics and from Google Earth, Arizona's freeways are much better than the Californian ones.
bakatje, they certainly were worth posting, thank you!

Chris, Arizona does maintain its highways very well, which I think is due to two factors: priority of transportation over other demands, including education, and the fact that the state is responsible for a fairly limited number of freeway miles.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban