daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #4521
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Interstate 81's existance isn't ONLY to provide a bypass of I-95; there are people who live near and drive on 81 everyday. It most certainly is used heavily by trucks, for sure, but let's not exagerate that 'it's entire purpose for existence' is to provide long-haul trucks a 95 bypass.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #4522
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I-81 is mainly a connector from the Boshwash metropolis to the southwest, Tennessee, Northern Georgia, and everything west of Alabama. I-95 is a north-south corridor, I can only imagine that traffic from New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta and points west doesn't use I-85/I-95 but I-81/I-66 to Washington.

But let's not exaggerate the "problems" on I-81, it mostly sees 40,000 - 50,000 AADT through Virginia, which is still significantly below saturation level which arrives in the 80,000 - 90,000 range for 4 lanes.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #4523
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

There's a ton of truck traffic where I live on 81 but much of it gets "divided" when 81 meets the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the south- and at the 81/78 split to the north east.
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #4524
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, that section between Harrisburg and Bordnersville is a pivotal piece of the entire Interstate. north-south traffic continues on I-81 here, while it meets east-west traffic from the Midwest to New York City (via I-78) as well. And it interchanges with I-76 (Pennsylvania Turnpike) which leads to the major industrial centers in the Midwest and Philadelphia in the east. Northbound traffic from the Baltimore area also enters I-81 in Harrisburg.

Quite interesting, the city of Harrisburg never grew that much, something you would expect from a city located that strategic. I wonder why, it seems like it could've been as big as Pittsburgh.
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #4525
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Not sure but I would think not growing early on as a port of some sort may've played a role- the rivers that meet at Pittsburgh allowed goods to travel down the Ohio and into the Mississippi and out to sea.
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #4526
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Abandoned part of I-44 near Tulsa, Oklahoma:
image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i30.************/2j4t3ic.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #4527
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

That would make an awesome drag racing strip! If they were so far along why didn't they just finish it?
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #4528
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
That would make an awesome drag racing strip! If they were so far along why didn't they just finish it?
That's most likely the old routing of I-44, whereas the new routing was built to meet with that interchange to the east.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #4529
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

was it ever open? it even still remains signed!

nevermind..google earth imagery goes back to 1995, and you can see the original routing and stuff.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #4530
architect77

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
That is not a reason to join this forum. I would prefer you take your blind homerism elsewhere. Shit stinks in the Tar Heel State just as badly as it does anywhere else.
1) "Boasting of NC's greatness" comment was only intended for dude in Charlotte that I offended with my original HUMBLING comments regarding NC interchanges.

2) You won't find NC-related posts from me regarding architecture, sustainable cities, or urban planning, etc.

3) However after having lived in SoCal, ATL, Bostn, Paris, NJ, NYC during last 20 years and having driven to the West Coast 9 times, I CAN and WILL continue to boast about North Carolina's highways.

4) Earlier "Sex with your sister" comment perfectly illustrates the irony and misconceptions surrounding NC, which is progressive, pro-active, and guided by intelligent minds. For an example, did you know NC was 1st to install fiber-optic cable statewide and later used as prototype for the rest of the world? Or that NC has ultra-strict limitations on all ridgeline construction in order to preserve scenic and pristine mountain views? Little things like these are just some examples of the higher standards the state holds itself to.

5) On social issues, gay issues, racism, etc. however, NC fails miserably. Though I'm proud and very glad, I still can't believe Obama won NC's electoral votes.

Last edited by architect77; July 18th, 2009 at 09:52 AM.
architect77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #4531
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Interstate 81's existance isn't ONLY to provide a bypass of I-95; there are people who live near and drive on 81 everyday. It most certainly is used heavily by trucks, for sure, but let's not exagerate that 'it's entire purpose for existence' is to provide long-haul trucks a 95 bypass.
I don't think that's an exaggeration at all. A similar case is I-76 and the I-70 western extension in Colorado/Utah. While useful for other purposes, such as tourism, the entire reason for those freeways' existence is to provide a more direct connection between Los Angeles and the I-80 corridor.

In much the same way, I-81's entire reason for existing is to take trucks off of I-95. That doesn't mean it's not used for many other reasons; it's one of the most direct routes between the Gulf Coast and New York, for example.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #4532
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

If its ENTIRE purpose was to give trucks another route up the east coast there wouldn't be as many local exits along the way. 81 does not have a single reason to exist, like many highways it serves many purposes including providing commuters an easy way to get from point a to point b.
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #4533
ChrisZwolle
Road user

True, there are also many small cities along the I-81 corridor;

Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol, Tennessee (302,000 MSA)
Roanoke, Virginia (293,000 MSA)
Harrisonburg, Virginia (118,000 MSA)
Winchester, Virginia (122,000 MSA)
Hagerstown, Maryland (264,000 MSA)
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania (143,000 MSA)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (509,000 MSA)

They are maybe not huge world cities, but the population is still significant.
Old July 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #4534
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10231

image hosted on flickr

Is there any plan to return this to nature, or do they intend to let it rot there ?
Substructure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #4535
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Not to sound cynical or anything but I'm gonna guess "rot". It would be nice to see it turn into some sort of a park or wildlife zone or something.
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #4536
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Let's not exaggerate the value of this area... just thousands of square miles of plains, prairies and some woods. An 1 mile abandoned freeway between two other freeways isn't gonna make a big difference.
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4537
Tom985

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Let's not exaggerate the value of this area... just thousands of square miles of plains, prairies and some woods. An 1 mile abandoned freeway between two other freeways isn't gonna make a big difference.
True, but I'm amazed that OK introduced a TOTSO interchange on a mainline Interstate highway, especially considering that NC built three unTOTSO interchanges around Greensboro (including the epic phail at I-40-I-840 west) during the same era.

[IMG]http://i30.************/2j4t3ic.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #4538
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post
image hosted on flickr

Is there any plan to return this to nature, or do they intend to let it rot there ?
Think: 'Movie set!'

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #4539
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Tulsawood
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #4540
ChrisZwolle
Road user

wtf is this?
image hosted on flickr

(California should read Interstate)

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban