daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4661
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I-35 is interesting in Kansas. First, it runs through a whole lot of nothing, but it's routing is also interesting, since it veers east for quite some distance between Wichita and Kansas City. I kinda get the idea that it wasn't suppose to serve Wichita in the first place, but run via Tulsa to Oklahoma City.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #4662
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today is a special day in the history of the Interstate Highway system.

It has been exactly 90 years that on september 6th, 1919, the first Transcontinental Motor Convoy has reached San Francisco after 62 days of driving from Washington D.C. Everything west of Illinois was not paved, and often only dirt tracks.

Dwight D. Eisenhower was on this convoy, and his experiences with the German Autobahn system had propelled the creation of the Interstate Highway System as we know it today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transco...l_Motor_Convoy

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 6th, 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #4663
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It has been exactly 90 years that on september 6th, 1919, the first Transcontinental Motor Convoy has reached San Francisco after 62 days of driving from Washington D.C. Everything west of Illinois was not paved, and often only dirt tracks.
Now that's what I call 'a lot of nothing'.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #4664
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18168

Investigator: Some safety checks still lacking for US road travel of Mexican trucks, buses
2 September 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) - A government auditor says more work is needed to ensure the safety of Mexican trucks and buses awaiting permission to drive on U.S. roadways.

The Transportation Department's inspector general made public its latest report on Mexican truck and bus safety Wednesday. The audit says some states are not consistently reporting traffic convictions of people driving in the U.S. with Mexican drivers' licenses. Also, bus inspections are not being done, are done infrequently or have other problems.

The report says officials have made headway on other safety measures.

The North American Free Trade Agreement granted Mexican trucks and buses access to American roadways. Congress has refused to comply because of safety and job loss concerns.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4665
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

I've read all the thread and I find the issue a kind of discrimination with each country discriminating the citizens of the other. For the insurance issue - you should think of that kind of solution, that we have in Europe - international insurances. It works pretty easy - I buy here a policy (the so-called "Green card"), which covers like 30 or 32 countries. Then, when I leave the EU with my car I am obliged to show this peace of paper to the officer at the border. If I do not have it, than he would simply not let my in with my car. That's it.

With the language problem - begin implementing pictogram signs. I would not agree with Chris that all the truck drivers here in Europe have to speak a foreign language. I am acquainted to quite a lot that do not speak any fluently and still drive their trucks for more than two decades. In every case you have a mobile phone and you can call a person who speaks English any time. Than Germans have some extracts of their laws published in almost every European language, so even if you can not understand why are you fined, you will know how much you have to pay, and then make an objection from your country. And, last but not least - most of the international documents for TIR transport have international names - like "carnet", "green card" (although English, it is understandable everywhere), and for buses - "Interbus", "Assor" etc.
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #4666
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Check out these photos of I-90! http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/s...7615121848716/

Absolutely horrendous.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #4667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, that's bad. The problem is that concrete lasts that long, that DOT's don't have much of an incentive to replace it, so they probably don't plan ahead with budgets to replace it. Once you have to replace it, it usually means a complete overhaul of the pavement because it's like 40 - 50 years old. I don't know that much about concrete, because we do not use it in the Netherlands, but I think current concrete pavements are much better to resist traffic and weather than it was in the 1960's. As you can see in Poland for instance, they don't lay individual concrete slabs anymore, but pour it so it's one big piece of concrete.
Old September 14th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #4668
Albaneren
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Good, but not good enough to be compared with the European motorways.
Albaneren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #4669
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Today is a special day in the history of the Interstate Highway system.

Dwight D. Eisenhower was on this convoy, and his experiences with the German Autobahn system had propelled the creation of the Interstate Highway System as we know it today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transco...l_Motor_Convoy
I think a lot of people in the US don't realize how influential Eisenhower was in creating our current highway system. Without him, it probably would have been built in some form eventually, but with him it was built in a relatively short period of time, with most major construction in the first decade and a half. In the mountain west, many of the late 50's/early 60's infrastructure still exist...I guess both good and bad, in that it was built at a high quality standard, but the lifespans of a lot of this construction are rapidly coming to an end.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #4670
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
I think a lot of people in the US don't realize how influential Eisenhower was in creating our current highway system. Without him, it probably would have been built in some form eventually, but with him it was built in a relatively short period of time, with most major construction in the first decade and a half. In the mountain west, many of the late 50's/early 60's infrastructure still exist...I guess both good and bad, in that it was built at a high quality standard, but the lifespans of a lot of this construction are rapidly coming to an end.
Exactly when built the system was the best in the world, however we lack the leadership and funds to maintain and expand upon the system properly.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #4671
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Exactly when built the system was the best in the world, however we lack the leadership and funds to maintain and expand upon the system properly.
We do have the leadership and barrels to expand but the controversial pork barrel and bureaucracy lead to its demise. That's the reason why the first Bush Administration killed the idea.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #4672
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
We do have the leadership and barrels to expand but the controversial pork barrel and bureaucracy lead to its demise. That's the reason why the first Bush Administration killed the idea.
Meaning we don't have the leadership lol...
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #4673
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
U.S. won't raise federal fuel taxes to the necessary maintenance level. That's the biggest reason. The second biggest reason is that states have ways of making federal highway dollars disappear once they reach the state coffers.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #4674
Stir
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

TOUR OF WEST USA 2009 - Hoover Dam
When traveling to Las Vegas, we've never missed a visit to a nearby power plant on the Colorado River. Tou dam is a dam HOOVER (HOOVER DAM) on ROUTE 93 with the largest U.S. water area Lake Mead.

http://www.rychnovinky.cz/en/2076-to...oover-dam.html
Stir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #4675
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
U.S. won't raise federal fuel taxes to the necessary maintenance level. That's the biggest reason. The second biggest reason is that states have ways of making federal highway dollars disappear once they reach the state coffers.
So true
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #4676
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We just need a couple of bridges collapsing, if possible with a lot of deaths, to wake up the American public that a gas tax raise is just needed to fund the detoriating infrastructure.
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #4677
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
We just need a couple of bridges collapsing, if possible with a lot of deaths, to wake up the American public that a gas tax raise is just needed to fund the detoriating infrastructure.
Oh whenever the next earthquake is, Washington is going to be hit haaaarrrrrd. The SR 99 viaduct is 40 years old and has been sinking ever since 2001. The SR 520 floating bridge is also about 40 years old and cracks every other month.

Neither will be replaced until 2015.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #4678
I-275westcoastfl

You guys do realize that even if the gas tax was raised it might not change a thing, the fact is the government puts a lot of money elsewhere instead of into infrastructure. I remember hearing only a certain percent of the money collected from gas taxes actually goes back into infrastructure.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #4679
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

It's about 90%, which is better than in a lot of other places. The problem is that the gas tax is so low that new capital construction (which is needed in many areas that have significant inward population transfer) gets squeezed.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #4680
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Straightening a curve on I-59 in Laurel MS:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...09055&t=k&z=17

I've only been there once, over thirty years ago and in the wee hours of the morning, but I'd always wondered why that part of I-59 was so narrow and curvy. Perhaps it was designed in the pre-Interstate era.

Last edited by Tom 958; September 18th, 2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban