daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:45 AM   #4721
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

(hehehehehe)

Unlike you, I make ZERO political statements when new I-route segments are completed. If it's a new chunk of interstate that has reached completion and I find out about it, I'll celebrate its opening in this forvm - regardless of where in the USA it is and whatever the events are that preceded its appearance. You'll find numerous postings of that kind from me in here over the past couple of years.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:11 AM   #4722
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I don't know why you are celebrating this. I-69 is an enormous boondoggle. The state doesn't even half any funding to finish the second half of the interstate, and that is assuming the pot of money it earmarked for the first three sections is enough to build them.
Um, "Major Moves"? My man Mitch has I-69 covered. Don't worry about the future, it's gonna be cheaper to convert 67 to Interstate between Bedford and Indy anyway.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:32 AM   #4723
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I don't get why it has that number?

Nowhere in New York is both east of 95 and north-south oriented for a two digit I-99? Why the **** is it in Pennsylvania? If that's how highways are going to be numbered in the future then I propose I-35 in Austin be renamed I-420 because I say so

Now it would be neat if 101 became I-3 or an I-1 along the California coast. Though I suppose the Hawaii "interstates" have those numbers.
Two reasons:

1) Ran out of numbers for that part of the grid.
2) The I-99 designation was written into law by then-Congressman Bud Shuster.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:15 AM   #4724
FCE

Likes (Received): 0

HERE'S AN OLD PIC OF ME ON THE 10 FREEWAY IN LOS ANGELES.

SOME OTHER LA PICS.

FCE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM   #4725
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Only in America.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4726
FCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Only in America.
Not quite. Lowriding is real big in Canada and Japan as well. Here's some pics from Vancouver and Toronto. I have a lot of Vancouver pics on my pc, but don't feel like posting from there.

***MODS DON'T BAN ME.....I KNOW I'M ABOUT TO GO OFF TOPIC FOR A SECOND. I'M JUST TRYING TO SHOW MY FRIEND THAT LOWRIDING IS INTERNATIONAL NOW. TRIED TO KEEP A FREEWAY THEME. PLUS, SOMETHING TO LOOK AT****

JAPAN

Last edited by FCE; October 3rd, 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: non freeway pics
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #4727
FCE

If any of you ever visit LA, the highways here are real nice. The 710 freeway has a lot of potholes in the far right lanes b/c of heavy truck traffic. I've banged my rims more than once on that highway.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #4728
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Since this is a "United States Interstate Highways" thread, we expect photos of highways not cars. And the main topic is highways not cars. If you want to show your car to others and talk about that kind of stuff, I suggest you to visit www.automotiveforums.com or any other auto-oriented web site.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #4729
FCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Since this is a "United States Interstate Highways" thread, we expect photos of highways not cars. And the main topic is highways not cars. If you want to show your car to others and talk about that kind of stuff, I suggest you to visit www.automotiveforums.com or any other auto-oriented web site.
I know. Thats why I placed the disclaimer about being banned and going off-topic. I was simply trying to inform the other poster; thats all. I'm on another forum for the car, but it was posted b/c I seen folks posting pics of the I-10 in FLA, so I posted an interesting pic of I-10 on the west coast and of the car pool viaduct on the 110 freeway through South LA. Thought the cars made the pics more interesting. Apparently not. Didn't mean to upset anyone.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM   #4730
FCE

I've noticed that Seattle, Portland, and LA (not sure about the Bay Area or SD) all have 405 freeways that essentially bypass the city centers. Is that a west coast thing?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM   #4731
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCE View Post
I've noticed that Seattle, Portland, and LA (not sure about the Bay Area or SD) all have 405 freeways that essentially bypass the city centers. Is that a west coast thing?
Interstate 5 goes to the heart of the city while 405 is the "bypass." Almost like any other three digit interstate that starts with an even number in a big city.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #4732
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

405 barely functions as a bypass, since it's just as congested as I-5. The Los Angeles metropolitan area is so big that's it's unavoidable for north-south traffic. There's no other option than to drive on 300,000 + AADT freeways.

In fact, nearly no American city has a bypass that's actually interesting for through traffic. They're either congested suburban freeways, or too far out to make a difference (like Beltway 8 in Houston or I-278 and I-287 in New York)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM   #4733
FCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Interstate 5 goes to the heart of the city while 405 is the "bypass." Almost like any other three digit interstate that starts with an even number in a big city.
Interesting info about the three digit highways starting with even numbers.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM   #4734
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
405 barely functions as a bypass, since it's just as congested as I-5. The Los Angeles metropolitan area is so big that's it's unavoidable for north-south traffic. There's no other option than to drive on 300,000 + AADT freeways.

In fact, nearly no American city has a bypass that's actually interesting for through traffic. They're either congested suburban freeways, or too far out to make a difference (like Beltway 8 in Houston or I-278 and I-287 in New York)
True....the only place I know of that acts as a bypass is when drivers are going from Austin to Corpus Christi through San Antonio. IH 35 to IH 410 then south on IH 37. Much faster than 35 to 37 since Interstate 410 is pretty much rural on the southeastern side of San Antonio.

[IMG]http://i36.************/nzm5go.jpg[/IMG]
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4735
FCE

Quote:

You're right about the 405 being congested. I use to have to commute through the 405/101 interchange in LA....it sucked. I ended up taking a route that shot north around that interchange and was at least 13 miles longer, but would get me to my destination 15 minutes sooner. Go figure.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM   #4736
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Interesting info about the three digit highways starting with even numbers.
Even numbers = beltway / bypass
Odd numbers = spur
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #4737
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Entering I-87 South @ The Newburgh Interchange

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching the Harrimen Toll Plaza Construction site
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Harrimen Toll Plaza , under Reconstruction
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

After the Toll Site
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Mileage Sign on I-87 South
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sloatsburg Service area
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching Exit 15A in Hillburn,NY, note the Japanese Restaurant on the hill.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching the I-287 / I-87 Interchange in Suffern,NY and Southern part of the Interchange is in Mahwah,NJ

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-287 south entering New Jersey
image hosted on flickr

Bonus Images from the Japanese Restaurant windows
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I hope you guys all liked it, more to come soon

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; April 6th, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #4738
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Couldn't they solve this problem by constructing express/collector lanes, or by simply closing off some of the local interchanges along the freeway and building separate local access roads?
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #4739
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
No kidding. It's only 2X2 for part of its trip through downtown, so naturally it gets jammed horribly at rush hour.
well, I don't think they could do much about it, it looks boxed in by development.
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #4740
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Well, as I-5 only goes through west coast cities, then yes. San Diego has Interstate 805 as its major metropolitan bypass (though as Chris points out, it's probably too congested to really be bypass - it's more like an alternate freeway). Interstate 5 stays well EAST of the SF area.

I think California State Highway 99 should be given an interstate number when it's completed to interstate standards between Grapeville and Sacremento. Not one of it's own since it's splits off from and rejoins I-5. It should either be a 3di child of I-5, or it and I-5 should be re-designated I-5E and I-5W between Grapevine and Sacremento.

Last edited by ttownfeen; October 5th, 2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: I'm directionally dyslexic.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban