daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #4741
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I don't get why it has that number?

Nowhere in New York is both east of 95 and north-south oriented for a two digit I-99? Why the **** is it in Pennsylvania? If that's how highways are going to be numbered in the future then I propose I-35 in Austin be renamed I-420 because I say so

Now it would be neat if 101 became I-3 or an I-1 along the California coast. Though I suppose the Hawaii "interstates" have those numbers.
Some Congressman from Pennsylvania had it mandated by law that the Interstate be given I-99.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #4742
FCE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Well, as I-5 only goes through west coast cities, then yes. San Diego has Interstate 805 as its major metropolitan bypass (though as Chris points out, it's probably too congested to really be bypass - it's more like an alternate freeway). Interstate 5 stays well west of the SF area.

I think California State Highway 99 should be given an interstate number when it's completed to interstate standards between Grapeville and Sacremento. Not one of it's own since it's splits off from and rejoins I-5. It should either be a 3di child of I-5, or it and I-5 should be re-designated I-5E and I-5W between Grapevine and Sacremento.
Interesting observations today as far as 3di even number freeways, I realized the 210 freeway in LA seems to sorta bypass LA. It runs along the northern sector of the LA area. However, the 605 is just a North/South freeway that doesn't seem to bypass nothing, albeit it does run close to the Orange County/LA County line in the Southern portions.
FCE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #4743
FCE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Entering I-87 South @ The Newburgh Interchange

Mileage Sign on I-87 South
image hosted on flickr

~Corey
Is it really that rural 40 miles outside of NY?
FCE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #4744
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Many suburban areas along the east coast look very rural from freeways. They're less dense with tall trees all around.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4745
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Well, as I-5 only goes through west coast cities, then yes. San Diego has Interstate 805 as its major metropolitan bypass (though as Chris points out, it's probably too congested to really be bypass - it's more like an alternate freeway). Interstate 5 stays well west of the SF area.

I think California State Highway 99 should be given an interstate number when it's completed to interstate standards between Grapeville and Sacremento. Not one of it's own since it's splits off from and rejoins I-5. It should either be a 3di child of I-5, or it and I-5 should be re-designated I-5E and I-5W between Grapevine and Sacremento.
Interstate 7 would make sense for California 99.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #4746
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCE View Post
Is it really that rural 40 miles outside of NY?
New York State is less dense then New Jersey , even 20 miles out of the City is almost rural depending on the location. New York is also more Mountainous then New Jersey. I'm going to Mountainous Western Rural Jersey,via I-80. I'm going to Exit 1 and taking a special road through Delaware Water Gap National Recreational area!
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #4747
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Sloatsburg Service area
image hosted on flickr
Why the 'half-staff' flags?

Also, outside of the NYC area, New York State is about as rugged and rural is it can get anywhere in the USA east of the Mississippi River - and some parts are really REMOTE. Recall that the Olympic WINTER Games were held in New York State in both 1932 and 1980 (Lake Placid, NY - located deep in the Adirondacks, in the northeastern part of NYS)

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #4748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

WA DOT:

Quote:
I-90 - As of 1 p.m., Interstate 90 remains closed both directions from the Moses Lake Exit 179 to Ritzville milepost 220, due to blowing dust and near zero visibility. No detour is available. Due to the weather related nature of this closure an estimated time to open the roadway is not determined.
[IMG]http://i33.************/2v30djt.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #4749
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

Here's some of the triple concurrency of Interstates 39, 90, and 94 in Madison. This is the longest triple concurrency (and one of only two in the country, the other being in the St. Louis area). Took these yesterday.

Looking south. The Badger Interchange is just over that hill, where I-94 splits from I-39/90, also meeting highway 30.

This is looking north from the same spot. It's hard to tell from this picture, but this is the cloverleaf interchange where the interstate goes over U.S. Highway 151.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #4750
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:

I think you mean 5 is well EAST of the bay area. And 99 is a state route because the state funds and maintains it exclusively. Interstates are funded by the federal government. How the road is built is not relevant to its designation unless you are comparing US Highways with Interstates.
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #4751
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
I think you mean 5 is well EAST of the bay area. And 99 is a state route because the state funds and maintains it exclusively. Interstates are funded by the federal government. How the road is built is not relevant to its designation unless you are comparing US Highways with Interstates.
Not true. The system that is relevant for federal funding is the National Highway System, which comprises the Interstates and select additional important through routes. In California, the main north-south routes in the state--US 101, I-5, SR 99--are all on the NHS. All NHS routes are eligible for federal assistance for capital improvements at an 80% federal, 20% state ratio. The main advantage Interstates have over other NHS routes is that they also attract Interstate Maintenance (IM) funding for resurfacing, rehabilitation, restoration, and reconstruction at a 90% federal, 10% state ratio (IM money is not supposed to be used to add new capacity, but an exception where the rules seem to have been bent--if not broken outright--has been presented either upthread or in the parallel thread dealing with US non-Interstates).

California could very well forgo federal funding for SR 99 improvements, but this would not be because the road is not eligible for federal funding. In a populous state like California, the projects that need doing collectively cost far more than the federal apportionment for highway work in California and so many projects have to be done with 100% state funding even though they are eligible for federal assistance.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #4752
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
WA DOT:

[IMG]http://i33.************/2v30djt.jpg[/IMG]
Actually, there are east-west detours, but I have found WSDOT discourages "announcing" them as they don't want to overload farm roads.

Dust storms in Eastern Washington tend to be short-lived, and that could play into it.

As for I-405 in the Seattle area, yes, it was originally designed as a bypass, but with the rapid growth on the Seattle eastside, the freeway is no longer considered a bypass. It is its own corridor, just as busy as I-5. Some have argued for a a further east bypass (605), but nimbys and environmentalists will never let it happen.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #4753
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Why the 'half-staff' flags?

Also, outside of the NYC area, New York State is about as rugged and rural is it can get anywhere in the USA east of the Mississippi River - and some parts are really REMOTE. Recall that the Olympic WINTER Games were held in New York State in both 1932 and 1980 (Lake Placid, NY - located deep in the Adirondacks, in the northeastern part of NYS)

Mike
I don't remeber why they were, i think someone politician died , but i don't exactly know
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #4754
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Winter weather in the northern rockies and northwestern High Plains:

Some cameras along I-90 in Wyoming:
[IMG]http://i36.************/29xaj68.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/2mfc3ea.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.************/vhuf0i.jpg[/IMG]

I-90 in Montana, just north of the Wyoming state line.
[IMG]http://i33.************/2z4igr5.jpg[/IMG]

I-25 at Monida Pass.
[IMG]http://i33.************/11822qb.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #4755
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Interstate 7 would make sense for California 99.
I disagree because this hypothetical interstate would spur off and rejoin the same interstate, similar to the I-35 split in Dallas/Fort Worth and Minneapolis/St. Paul
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #4756
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-5E and I-5W. But I don't think AASHTO will agree on this...
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #4757
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
I disagree because this hypothetical interstate would spur off and rejoin the same interstate, similar to the I-35 split in Dallas/Fort Worth and Minneapolis/St. Paul
Like I-12, I-57 and I-94? Besides, Eye Seven rolls off the tongue. I-5E doesn't.

Hey, Chris-- I'm having trouble finding it, but that aerial photo of the I-87/I-287/SR 17 interchange that you posted in Guess the Highway would make a fine complement to Nexis' ground level photos.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #4758
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Entering I-80 from the from the Garden State Parkway
image hosted on flickr

I-80 Westbound
image hosted on flickr

Crossing Route 20 in Paterson
image hosted on flickr

City of Paterson Exits on I-80
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Totowa & Wayne Exits on I-80
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-80 @ Exit 52
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Skipping to after Morristown, because i didn't want to use all the battery up.
image hosted on flickr

I-80 @ Exit 39 : US 46 to NJ 53 & Denville NJ Transit Train station
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-80 @ The Dover Exit
image hosted on flickr

I-80 @ The Lake Hopatcong Exits, New Jersey's Largest Lake
image hosted on flickr

I-80 @ NJ 15 Interchange
image hosted on flickr

Rock Blasting site next to I-80
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-80 near Netcong,NJ
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-80 near Hackettstown,NJ
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-80 @ Exit 25
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]I-80 in Western Rural Jersey[/COLOR]
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-80 @ Exit 12
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-80 nearing Columbia,NJ
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

getting a bit to eat off I-80
image hosted on flickr

back on I-80 : Lackawanna Railway Bridge , it will be a functioning railway in 10 yrs
image hosted on flickr

A Roadside memorial
image hosted on flickr

I-80 in the Delaware Water Gap
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-80 @ Exit 1
image hosted on flickr

Thats it for now, i'm a bit backed up now with all these photos so i will post more tomorrow

~Corey

nick.english.dept liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; April 5th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #4759
ChrisZwolle
Road user

"Del water gap"

What an horrible control "city". I must admit there isn't much worth mentioning along I-80 in Pennsylvania (Cleveland is probably too far to sign here already). Stroudsburg, Scranton or Williamsport would be better control cities imo.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #4760
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Its not a Control city, its the first exit after the Bridge and thats the Town name

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban