daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4761
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yes it is, it's the only through destination signed from Paterson westbound.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #4762
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Its also a major Recreational area , so its a great idea for a control city , everyone knows it.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #4763
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I-5E and I-5W. But I don't think AASHTO will agree on this...
Nah people would be confused by thinking east and west were the directions of the road since most aren't aware of the significance of an odd numbered road being north-south or at least don't think about it. I'm thinking 99 would be I-205 like 215 in Riverside County bypasses 15.
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #4764
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Actually, there are east-west detours, but I have found WSDOT discourages "announcing" them as they don't want to overload farm roads.

Dust storms in Eastern Washington tend to be short-lived, and that could play into it.

As for I-405 in the Seattle area, yes, it was originally designed as a bypass, but with the rapid growth on the Seattle eastside, the freeway is no longer considered a bypass. It is its own corridor, just as busy as I-5. Some have argued for a a further east bypass (605), but nimbys and environmentalists will never let it happen.
I-605 was killed off a few years ago. If the SR99 deep bored tunnel is constructed, it would probably help alleviate some I-5 traffic, because the tunnel will be even more limited-access than the current viaduct.

I-405 is being expanded throughout pretty much its entire corridor. The plan is for adding two lanes in each direction I think. Bellevue's growth in the past few years have outpaced road capacity. I think that in conjunction with the large highway expansion, there needs to be rapid transit as well. Thankfully, it's been approved...but won't be coming until 2023...

Btw, this is my absolute favorite:

image hosted on flickr

That is very European looking. Whoever designed and did quality control for that stretch of highway deserves a raise. Wish we had roads like that in Washington.

Last edited by HAWC1506; October 6th, 2009 at 01:58 AM.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #4765
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I don't remeber why they were, i think someone politician died , but i don't exactly know
Ted Kennedy?
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #4766
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Ted Kennedy?
Not back in June.

Probably a state politician, maybe a police officer killed in the line of duty.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #4767
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
"Del water gap"

What an horrible control "city". I must admit there isn't much worth mentioning along I-80 in Pennsylvania (Cleveland is probably too far to sign here already). Stroudsburg, Scranton or Williamsport would be better control cities imo.
I-80's control city in Youngstown, Ohio is New York City.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #4768
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Instead of 'Del Water Gap', I'd use 'Pennsylvania' as I-80's westbound control in New Jersey. When I was out there about ten years ago, I had no idea what it meant.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #4769
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's a valid point. "everybody knows the Delaware water gap". Yes, everybody from around that area knows that. But signage is meant for those unknown to the area, so also drivers from Texas, Hawaii or Swaziland. That's why you need to put major cities on the signage.

I heard about some stories about people driving around the U.S. with one fold-out map of the entire country and totally got lost. They expect to see signs to Chicago and Miami in New York City. Especially if you're from Europe, it might be a good idea to prepare a bit before driving in the U.S. for the first time, since the signage is completely different from what you see in Europe.
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #4770
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
That's a valid point. "everybody knows the Delaware water gap". Yes, everybody from around that area knows that. But signage is meant for those unknown to the area, so also drivers from Texas, Hawaii or Swaziland. That's why you need to put major cities on the signage.

I heard about some stories about people driving around the U.S. with one fold-out map of the entire country and totally got lost. They expect to see signs to Chicago and Miami in New York City. Especially if you're from Europe, it might be a good idea to prepare a bit before driving in the U.S. for the first time, since the signage is completely different from what you see in Europe.
Once you've been to the Delaware Water Gap, you'll never forget its natural beauty.

Come on, you have to admit that much.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #4771
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:

I think that the big navigational difficulty for a first-time visitor from outside of North America, especially, it seems, with Europeans, is that they come with absolutely no idea of how truly *VAST* the USA is. No, you cannot do NYC one day, Chicago the next followed by Los Angeles on the third day on a driving roadtrip. Most USA states are of similar geographic size to most entire European countries. Belgium is of a similar geographic size to Maryland, for example.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #4772
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think you're right there. My guess is many people from Europe think Chicago is halfway from New York to San Francisco, while you're in fact only at one quarter of the trip.

Seattle - Boston is the same distance as Amsterdam - Gibraltar AND BACK!
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #4773
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Also, people have no idea how big Alaska actually is;

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #4774
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Once you've been to the Delaware Water Gap, you'll never forget its natural beauty.

Come on, you have to admit that much.
Exactly my point , its impossible to forget the stunning beauty to the area. and the majority of ppl know its New Jersey / Pennsylvania so ic no problem with it. Why would u put Chicago on it? Majority of the ppl who I-80 don't go to Chicago , they go to the many university cities n towns before it
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #4775
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Also, people have no idea how big Alaska actually is
Umm, which people? It's widely known (among Europeans) that Alaska is by far the biggest US state.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #4776
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

People probably know that it's the biggest state, but they don't know how big it is (2 times larger than Texas and bigger than California, Texas and Montana combined )
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #4777
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Yeah Alaska is HUGE! I tend to underestimate how big Europe is myself.

And here is a nice comparison of much of Europe with USA.

http://goeurope.about.com/od/europea...arison-map.htm

And while we're at it, Australia is big.
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #4778
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
And while we're at it, Australia is big.
Hehe, another nice one, I heard some people say "well, that's a coincidence, two earthquakes close to eachother" (about the Sumatra and Samoa recent earthquakes). Both epicenters are over 9,000 kilometers apart.
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #4779
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

I think we have a tendency to misjudge distances more and more the farther the place is from where we travel regularly. I live in Massachusetts, and used to completely misjudge the size of Vermont. After all, its Brattleboro, Bellows Falls, White River Junction, Burlington, and you're at the Canadian border. How long can it take? Now I know it really can be a solid 4 hours to cross a state that looks like it should take 2.5 hrs, being similar in northern length to the width of Mass. As you go further from your home, you simply know fewer individual places along the route, and believe you can hop between the places you do know. In a sense, its parochial.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #4780
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

Great video (though a bit slow, I admit) of the Dan Ryan Expressway through Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSjqN...eature=related
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban