daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #461
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why would anyone want to keep people in their lanes? If a car in front of me is slower than me, I'll naturally overtake it. Americans just drive, and don't overtake much?
I think he means more like that in urban traffic (remember, American freeways go straight through the cities), where the traffic density is likely to be high, it's good to have that reassurance so if someone is not paying attention and starts to drift into another lane, they will notice by the vibrations.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #462
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
I think he means more like that in urban traffic (remember, American freeways go straight through the cities), where the traffic density is likely to be high, it's good to have that reassurance so if someone is not paying attention and starts to drift into another lane, they will notice by the vibrations.
I guess that happens more on rural interstates in Wyoming and Nevada, than some city interstate

In Wyoming on the I-80, they've got that kind of broken asphalt on the shoulder, so one who fell asleep or not paying attention, will be alarmed.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #463
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I guess that happens more on rural interstates in Wyoming and Nevada, than some city interstate

In Wyoming on the I-80, they've got that kind of broken asphalt on the shoulder, so one who fell asleep or not paying attention, will be alarmed.
You'd think that, but then again, drivers are complete idiots over here.
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #464
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

This conversation seems to be going nowhere, just the same crap being thrown back and forth about roads in the US.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #465
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
This conversation seems to be going nowhere, just the same crap being thrown back and forth about roads in the US.
Yep, pretty much. I know I'm not helping, either.
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #466
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The thread can be closed now.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #467
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn
I agree that European roads, in general, have a higher surface/pavement quality. However, I also would say that interstate highways in the U.S. fluctuate between great quality and poor quality... thus, many interstates in the U.S. are in great shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
If it's all the same to you, I and others may wish to continue to discuss this topic. I think the sample of I-80 that got all this going IS typical of too many miles of motorway in the US. Unfortunately, there is a wide range of conditions on American Interstates from very good to very poor. In western Europe you don't have that range- it's generally all very good.
I'm confused as to why you keep responding to my statements... you literally restated one of my earlier posts. Let me highlight a few points:
  • We both agree that the road surface in European countries is of higher quality.
  • We both agree that some U.S. highways are in terrible shape, while others are in great shape.
Thus, end of OUR discussion.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #468
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

I suppose I responded because you said the conversation was absurd and ridiculous. You then informed me the discussion was ended. I guess that's why. Plus we generally have NOT agreed. While we both concede the European motorway system is in better shape, I maintain the original poster's photo of a bad section of I-80 is a great example of what is too often found in the US and its something that needs to be dealt with. I get the impression from your comments that the aforementioned I-80 section is more or less an aberration.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How is the I-80 in Pennsylvania?
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #470
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
How is the I-80 in Pennsylvania?
Parts of it are ok- there is, however, a section just east of I-81 in the eastbound lanes that is simply horrible. The ride is just awful on that stretch and would make you long for the 80 going through the Sierra Nevadas. I don't have a photo of it, but trust me, it's horrible. In fact, it might be the worst section of Interstate highway in the northeast- perhaps not- but I can't think of a worse example off the top of my head.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #471
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I heard the I-10 west of Baton Rouge is very bad too.
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #472
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
I heard the I-10 west of Baton Rouge is very bad too.
Yeah, that's pretty awful, but it's condition is probably more a reflection of corruption in Louisiana state politics than it is simply neglect.
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #473
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

I work in downtown and used to commute from Seatac, but I've moved to Mountlake Terrace now so I don't have to worry about backups during construction. With all the hypes about the replacement plan, does the city have a detailed plan to detour the viaduct traffic during construction? I mean, after all there are a lot of vehicles use the viaduct everyday.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #474
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Early Returns

98,000 votes counted as of tonight

Elevated Viaduct
45% Yes
55% No

Tunnel Lite
30% Yes
70% No
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #475
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Likes (Received): 0

It's interesting to see both measures be voted down. I think it would have been much more informative to add the surface option and the original tunnel option to the ballot. No - No could mean a few different things here.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #476
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

So....surface street? Anyone?
If the vote is just a non binding resolution, why bother in the first place?
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #477
Zanovijetalo

hello WA

Huhm, tunel, what else. And it should be built asap so the folks from Grey's Anatomy can get to work in time... To save lives you know...
Zanovijetalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #478
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
If the vote is just a non binding resolution, why bother in the first place?
Precisely. The various opinions have not been changed and everybody thinks they have won through this vote. The whole situation is a ridiculous political circus.

What should have been on the ballot in order to correctly gauge public opinion was a multiple-choice, not a yes-no question. And the choices should have included a surface option, as well as the original six-lane tunnel option. A, B, C, D. Simple.

However, due to the political games between the state and the city and the governor's insistence on a vote before April 23rd, we ended up with the pointless yes-no vote.

The No-No could mean quite a few things: A protest against the way the whole thing was handled, support for an option not included on the ballot, and my personal favorite: Seattle doesn't actually have a majority opinion (how quaint).
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #479
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Why American Highways are in Such Disrepair

This topic has been batted around in numerous other threads, but I thought I'd start one specific to the idea.

American highways are in such poor shape because of sheer financial cost of maintaining so many miles of highway. We are a car loving nation and as such we put tremendous wear and tear on our roads. Furthermore, in metropolitan areas, the sprawling nature of our cities necessitates longer commutes and thus more road usage. Again, greater wear and tear. Add into the fact that we don't like taxes as a whole, and voila, a serious backlog of maintenance work costing in the trillions of dollars.

There's no way we could ever fix all of our highways at any point in time. Not unless road building and maintenance became considerably cheaper. I'm not sure even that would help either.

For now, we rush around and fix the most pressing problems with the least amount of time and money.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #480
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

HOV lanes are being added to I-5 through Tacoma. This is part of a larger plan to have continuous HOV lanes from Everett to Tacoma.

Specific WSDOT links:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Pie...S48th_Pacific/
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/piercecountyhov/

Hope that helps.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban