daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4841
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
The visibility is very much improved. I wish all U.S. highways had thicker lane markings. 4 inches is simply inadequate, especially in adverse weather conditions.
When the weather is good, they are less graceful than regular lane markings. However, I must agree with you, the wide lane markings are extremely helpful in adverse weather. The last time I traveled on NJT south of Newark was around 11pm under very heavy fog, and those wide markings were appreciated.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #4842
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir desi View Post
When the weather is good, they are less graceful than regular lane markings. However, I must agree with you, the wide lane markings are extremely helpful in adverse weather. The last time I traveled on NJT south of Newark was around 11pm under very heavy fog, and those wide markings were appreciated.
Oh it makes all the difference in fog. What do you mean by less graceful? I think New Jersey's thick lane markings do look a bit ungainly since the spacing is so close. I think if the proportions are right, like on the German Autobahn, it looks great.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #4843
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Interstate 40 Arizona

Near Flagstaff, eastbound and down. The black tarmac vs the white snow!

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #4844
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today it's exactly 78 years ago that the George Washington Bridge between Fort Lee, NJ and Manhattan, NY opened to traffic.

Old October 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #4845
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Heres my pictures of the George Washington Bridge form New Jersey

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Under The Beast

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Up top again

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

GWB Traffic

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

On the Bridge

Upper Deck to NJ

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Lower Deck to NJ

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; April 6th, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #4846
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Very nice! Thanks nexis!

Here's a cool video of the LIE (I-495) I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgMaS...eature=channel
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #4847
Indictable

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty89 View Post
Yep they did. Also many of our motorways are being upgraded (Gateway & Ipswich Motorways and Centenary Highway) plus 2 tunnels at the moment.

Like someone else said on this site, - Brisbane is a construction site at the moment.
It's hell from Airport-City. Do it each weekend. Horrible.
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #4848
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 8 in San Diego

Watch it in HD or below:

Old October 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #4849
babareebu serb

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by horiababu View Post
Oh, i heard also about policemen in Miami who don't know English. Is that true?
Ha,ha,maybe ha was a false policeman??!
babareebu serb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #4850
babareebu serb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozata90 View Post
I've read all the thread and I find the issue a kind of discrimination with each country discriminating the citizens of the other. For the insurance issue - you should think of that kind of solution, that we have in Europe - international insurances. It works pretty easy - I buy here a policy (the so-called "Green card"), which covers like 30 or 32 countries. Then, when I leave the EU with my car I am obliged to show this peace of paper to the officer at the border. If I do not have it, than he would simply not let my in with my car. That's it.

With the language problem - begin implementing pictogram signs. I would not agree with Chris that all the truck drivers here in Europe have to speak a foreign language. I am acquainted to quite a lot that do not speak any fluently and still drive their trucks for more than two decades. In every case you have a mobile phone and you can call a person who speaks English any time. Than Germans have some extracts of their laws published in almost every European language, so even if you can not understand why are you fined, you will know how much you have to pay, and then make an objection from your country. And, last but not least - most of the international documents for TIR transport have international names - like "carnet", "green card" (although English, it is understandable everywhere), and for buses - "Interbus", "Assor" etc.
Yes I agree,also Turkish drivers mostly don't speak any foreign languages,and make a nervous on mostly speditions,but they don't have any restrictions in driving!For drivers it's important to know driving and road signs and that's enough!
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #4851
babareebu serb

What is about bus routes to Mexico from USA?Is it forbidden for Mexican buses to drive in USA?What is about tourist buses on both sides of border??are there any photos??
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #4852
rosn19
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babareebu serb View Post
What is about bus routes to Mexico from USA?Is it forbidden for Mexican buses to drive in USA?What is about tourist buses on both sides of border??are there any photos??
Mexico passanger buses into the US or Canada are not restricted, neither are Canadian or US buses into Mexico; but, passanger buses here are way better than they Greyhounds overthere, here the coaches used are Mercedes-Benz (also some lines use double deckers), Irizar, Scania, Volvo, Mann and all are brand new, and many are luxury with one row seats, food, individual restrooms, and leg room, unlike the crappy buses from the US that dont even have tv's and smell like feet and dont have a schedule, you just hop on the one that's coming and see if there's room in there or not, and don't tell me it's not true because i've used them before from laredo texas, to austin, when my cousins and i went shopping on a weekend last december, they're just horrible, the bus stations are so crappy, the people that get on those buses look and smell like hobos and we were scared that we were gonna get robbed, well im not gonna go on about it, im sure anyone whose used them know what im talking about
rosn19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #4853
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

I think Mexico should reclaim their territory between California and Colorado and throw all the bigots out of it .
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #4854
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

^Ahhh, home. Drive that road daily.

Note, the uneven pavement after I-5 is part of a repaving project that is in progress. Ramps are closed from 11 pm to 5 am on select days.

Also, that weird merge to one lane with the I-5 traffic is rather annoying, but at rush hour the worst I've seen it backed up was to a little before the base of the slope leading to it. It actually makes for a rather effective traffic metering tool since the bottleneck regulates how many cars merge with the traffic coming from 5 south and from the metered Rosecrans onramp. When you have 8 west, both directions from 5 and Rosecrans traffic merging and Taylor St. coming up rather quickly, the whole area slows down badly when it's busy and then accelerates right before 163. Problem is, if the onramps before 5 have their meters on, you get metered twice. Entry from Nimitz/Sunset Cliffs as shown in the video is rather smooth as that is the beginning.

By the way, that 805 bridge that tops the stack spans the entire Mission Valley. Definitely an interesting interchange. This appears to be the ramp to 8 west from 805 north.

Last edited by dl3000; October 26th, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
dl3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #4855
ChrisZwolle
Road user

you can't hotlink pics from AAroads or it's subsidiaries.

Meanwhile, a rockslide closed I-40 in NC near the TN border.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #4856
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
In the US is the opposite, you are inocent until proven guilty..
Yet you're held in jail until you're proven innocent unless you post bail money.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #4857
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Nice pictures of the George Washington bridge. It's been 77 years since the Sydney Harbour Bridge opened here, and the American bridge certainly looks like a much better road. Has the concrete barrier in the middle always been there, or was that a later fixture? I'm only asking because the Harbour Bridge here has a completely stupid lane arrangement; a six-lane single carriageway which is fully reversible (though I don't think all six lanes have run in the same direction for over 15 years) and two other lanes (one for buses, one for cars) which are cut off from the rest of the bridge by a concrete barrier because that part of the bridge was originally going to be for trains.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a barrier in the middle of the bridge (a head-on collision occurred there during rush hour not too long ago and they closed the entire bridge so they could get a helicopter in to fly a driver to hospital; roads all over Sydney came to a standstill), but that would mess up the daily tidal flow arrangement they have set up, so they won't do it. The bridge is also designed to support a second deck in the same way as the GWB, but they aren't going to build one because the freeways on either side aren't designed to cope with the extra traffic. In short, the Harbour Bridge is a total mess and I'm wondering if the GWB was originally designed that way or if it was later added to.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4858
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

US is the "Land of the Free" they say, that's only for people who already live there.
Everyone who aren't a US citizen are suspects of terrorism. Slow down, CIA.
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #4859
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
Nice pictures of the George Washington bridge. It's been 77 years since the Sydney Harbour Bridge opened here, and the American bridge certainly looks like a much better road. Has the concrete barrier in the middle always been there, or was that a later fixture? I'm only asking because the Harbour Bridge here has a completely stupid lane arrangement; a six-lane single carriageway which is fully reversible (though I don't think all six lanes have run in the same direction for over 15 years) and two other lanes (one for buses, one for cars) which are cut off from the rest of the bridge by a concrete barrier because that part of the bridge was originally going to be for trains.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a barrier in the middle of the bridge (a head-on collision occurred there during rush hour not too long ago and they closed the entire bridge so they could get a helicopter in to fly a driver to hospital; roads all over Sydney came to a standstill), but that would mess up the daily tidal flow arrangement they have set up, so they won't do it. The bridge is also designed to support a second deck in the same way as the GWB, but they aren't going to build one because the freeways on either side aren't designed to cope with the extra traffic. In short, the Harbour Bridge is a total mess and I'm wondering if the GWB was originally designed that way or if it was later added to.
According to http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/george-washington/ the lower deck was added in 1962.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #4860
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

ok fixed

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban