daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #481
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat
 
Billpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 767
Likes (Received): 7

I don't know that we couldn't afford our current highway system if we actually wanted to, but putting that aside, we should not build highways that we can't afford to keep up. We must reject the idea of always having a backlog of terrible highways that need to be repaired but will not be for years and years to come. If a proposed freeway can't be supported once it BEGINS to get into a state of disrepair, then it should not be built in the first place.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #482
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης
 
pilotos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Larisa
Posts: 1,704
Likes (Received): 12

I think eu should pay for their roads to be repaired, they are so poor
pilotos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #483
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 203
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotos View Post
I think eu should pay for their roads to be repaired, they are so poor
European roads seem to be a lot better maintained than American roads. Particularly the German autobahnen (is that the correct plural?).

In any case, this topic is just American highways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa
I don't know that we couldn't afford our current highway system if we actually wanted to, but putting that aside, we should not build highways that we can't afford to keep up. We must reject the idea of always having a backlog of terrible highways that need to be repaired but will not be for years and years to come. If a proposed freeway can't be supported once it BEGINS to get into a state of disrepair, then it should not be built in the first place.
Unfortunately the Highway Act (not the proper name) of 1956 created a ton of highways we can't afford to repair without considerably sums of money, which only come from taxes. In some respects, the federal government is responsible.
__________________
Jax

Last edited by Jaxom92; March 16th, 2007 at 08:57 PM.
Jaxom92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #484
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat
 
Billpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 767
Likes (Received): 7

What I also find shocking is the idea that we're the "highway culture" country- you know "the Great American Roadtrip" and all of that- so we accept that Europe's mass transit is much better than ours...fine...but then their HIGHWAYS are better too?
I mean, come on!
We, as a country, need to figure out how we're going to improve our infrastructure before we get so far behind we REALLY can't afford to make improvements- because with every single truck or car on the roads and bridges right now, it's getting a little bit worse...
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #485
FM 2258
Registered User
 
FM 2258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,438
Likes (Received): 612

I think the U.S. has more than enough money to maintain our highways in pristine condition but we keep sending a shitload of money overseas or for other useless causes. I'm not sure what's going on in Washington but something needs to be done to eliminate all this traffic around the country. With all the money we've used to fight wars we could have build an infrastructure than could handle all our cars and eliminate rush-hour traffic and keep the highways smooth.

I live in Texas but the worst roads I've ever been on were on Interstate 10 in southern Louisiana and on Interstate 95 from New York City to Connecticut. Very bad especially for a world class city like New York.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #486
FM 2258
Registered User
 
FM 2258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,438
Likes (Received): 612



I think all Interstates throughout the country should have an express lane that "bypasses" the city in order to reduce traffic through the central core of our cities. I can imagine driving into say Atlanta on Interstate 75 and seeing a sign that says "South (75) Express Lanes, Macon, NO EXITS NEXT 25 MILES."
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #487
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 203
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
I think the U.S. has more than enough money to maintain our highways in pristine condition but we keep sending a shitload of money overseas or for other useless causes. I'm not sure what's going on in Washington but something needs to be done to eliminate all this traffic around the country. With all the money we've used to fight wars we could have build an infrastructure than could handle all our cars and eliminate rush-hour traffic and keep the highways smooth.
Money management seems to be one thing that escapes nearly every large bureaucracy in this country. Maybe that's the nature of bureaucracies, but it still needs to be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa
What I also find shocking is the idea that we're the "highway culture" country- you know "the Great American Roadtrip" and all of that- so we accept that Europe's mass transit is much better than ours...fine...but then their HIGHWAYS are better too?
I mean, come on!
We, as a country, need to figure out how we're going to improve our infrastructure before we get so far behind we REALLY can't afford to make improvements- because with every single truck or car on the roads and bridges right now, it's getting a little bit worse...
You're absolutely right, Billpa. The livability and economic competitiveness of our country suffers greatly from deteriorating infrastructure.
__________________
Jax
Jaxom92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #488
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom92 View Post
European roads seem to be a lot better maintained than American roads. Particularly the German autobahnen (is that the correct plural?).
I don't know what the American picture is of Motorways in Europe, but the German autobahnen are by far not the best.

Now let's get back to the originel subject: most income from the government concerning roads, is not road tax, but fuel tax. Here in Europe, fuel taxes are high. Not rarely over 2/3rd of the total gas price. Since gas prices in the US seems to be low, compared to Europe, they will have lesser income.

Another option is that there is actually enough income to maintain roads, but the government spends the money otherwise (military, public services, education etc). In The Netherlands, the income is actually 8 times higher than they spend on roads.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #489
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης
 
pilotos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Larisa
Posts: 1,704
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Another option is that there is actually enough income to maintain roads, but the government spends the money otherwise (military, public services, education etc). In The Netherlands, the income is actually 8 times higher than they spend on roads.
I think i found the answer!
They simply dont have enough materials to maintain the huge road network(concrete etc), so they are spending money for military equipment to get the materials from other countries (iraq etc).
pilotos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #490
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

I think the roads were also in disrepair before 9/11.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #491
i.q.ninja
FREEDOM
 
i.q.ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 280
Likes (Received): 2

Could you give me a example of what inter-state highways are in bad shape?
i.q.ninja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #492
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

They are mentioned in threads. I'm not an American, but what i've seen and hear at least the I-10, I-80 and I-95.

But what i've seen from pics, US Interstates rarely have some smooth road paving as seen in Europe.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #493
i.q.ninja
FREEDOM
 
i.q.ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 280
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
They are mentioned in threads. I'm not an American, but what i've seen and hear at least the I-10, I-80 and I-95.

But what i've seen from pics, US Interstates rarely have some smooth road paving as seen in Europe.
as long as its not cause damage to the axles. I honestly think it would be better to invest sewage treatment plants and laying more fiber than building roads.
i.q.ninja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #494
zivan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 471
Likes (Received): 2

Are most US highway not mostly made of concrete (as opposed to asphalt). I know when I was driving to Seattle, I was going crazy from the road noise generated by the concrete. You can never have a smooth ride on a concrete highway, as the way they are made requires them to be made in sections with gaps between them.
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #495
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 203
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.q.ninja View Post
Could you give me a example of what inter-state highways are in bad shape?
In addition to what's been said. I-5 in the Seattle area in particular has 40 year old concrete that is well-past it's lifetime expectancy an is falling apart. I don't know about any other areas personally, but I hear about it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491
Most income from the government concerning roads, is not road tax, but fuel tax. Here in Europe, fuel taxes are high. Not rarely over 2/3rd of the total gas price. Since gas prices in the US seems to be low, compared to Europe, they will have lesser income.
Indeed. The U.S. has one of the lowest gas-taxes in the world (though certain states charge much more than others and there is a federal tax in addition to a state tax). I'm sure European countries use much of that tax to maintain their roads. In this country, however, raising the gas tax is not a politically viable solution due to our "love affair" with the car, but more specifically, the nature of our built environment. The sprawling cities in the US necessitates heavy car usage in order to get to needed locations such as home, work, school, the store, etc. We won't pay for increased gas-taxes because it would hinder our ability to function economically and socially in our urban environments. So, one might say our sprawl problem has hit us up on both ends of the stick: It degrades our highway infrastructure and puts a political roadblock to raising gas taxes to pay for it.

And yes, as a whole, American society seems to be rather short-sighted in this area.
__________________
Jax
Jaxom92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #496
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

You know, Jaxom, I didn't even know this thread existed when I made that highway 'useful life/replacement' comment over in the Seattle LR thread.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #497
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 203
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
You know, Jaxom, I didn't even know this thread existed when I made that highway 'useful life/replacement' comment over in the Seattle LR thread.

Nate
I don't know if this thread existed when you made that comment either. I just started it last night. Hehe.
__________________
Jax
Jaxom92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #498
getontrac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mt. Vernon in Baltimore
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 0

I just made it, about, 20 minutes ago!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #499
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 203
Likes (Received): 0

Incidentally, the one place the HOV lanes won't quite be continuous is in Seattle itself due to physical space constraints and the enormous cost of finding more space (probably only a tunnel could do that, and those that have been following the viaduct debate can attest to the political circus that issue is).
__________________
Jax
Jaxom92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #500
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.q.ninja View Post
Could you give me a example of what inter-state highways are in bad shape?
Sure. This is I-80 near O'Donner Pass.



And some zooming for you.


Does it qualify as a bad road? Absolutely. Trust me, you can damage your axle over there.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium