daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #5161
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

If you have just left a toll plaza, you're not going to be going very fast
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #5162
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

but if there's only 1 destination sign at the exit, you can't possibly read that
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #5163
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
If you have just left a toll plaza, you're not going to be going very fast
Exactly my point , and most people that use that exit are going to 2 places , West Point Military Academy or Woodbury Commons Shopping area , which right next to the Toll gate.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #5164
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Tampa, especially the Clearwater-St. Petersburg peninsula has only one real freeway (I-275), but Pinellas County has a population of 930,000. I also believe traffic safety is below average in this area because there are less limited access and grade-separated features, and high traffic volumes are recorded in residential areas.
Exactly and poor light timing makes traffic bad and increases red light running and pedestrian accidents.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #5165
busterrobertson

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=soup or man;49915269]Does anyone have any maps of failed highway expansions in your city?

Here was Tucson Arizona's masterplan in 1960. If this were built, it would make traveling in Tucson much easier as the 10 and the 19 both travel south.

This link shows what Dallas would've been. I bet this would've been one of the largest freeway systems in the nation.

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Dallas/h...dfw_1967.shtml

Last edited by busterrobertson; January 18th, 2010 at 04:32 AM.
busterrobertson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #5166
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Dallas has an incredible freeway system despite those cancelled freeways.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5167
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
NY 17 West ,and Exit to NY 17 South & US 6 East

image hosted on flickr
first off, this is not an interstate, this pic shouldnt even be in this thread to begin with

second, its obvious there's waaayyyy toooo much info on the exit sign. anybody who disagrees must be smokin somethin powerful. yea u may be goin slow from a toll booth blah blah but thats no excuse for confusing signage. its clear that u HAVE to go slow to read something like that, especially for people not from the area, and thats exactly who the signs are for. it would not be difficult to split up that information. signs can be placed leading up to the toll booth if there is not much space (distance) for a couple signs before the exit.

third, ny 17 west and ny 17 south?!? again, a potentially confusing setup. in california highways go (and are labeled) either east/west or north/south. seems weird that if u go in one direction on a highway ur going west and if ur going the other south! (or whatever that means)
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5168
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Dallas has an incredible freeway system despite those cancelled freeways.
Yep. The main problem in Dallas is that the urban growth during the last couple of decades wasn't balanced very good, nearly all growth happened to the north of Dallas-Fort Worth. This creates very heavy north-south traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #5169
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
first off, this is not an interstate, this pic shouldnt even be in this thread to begin with

second, its obvious there's waaayyyy toooo much info on the exit sign. anybody who disagrees must be smokin somethin powerful. yea u may be goin slow from a toll booth blah blah but thats no excuse for confusing signage. its clear that u HAVE to go slow to read something like that, especially for people not from the area, and thats exactly who the signs are for. it would not be difficult to split up that information. signs can be placed leading up to the toll booth if there is not much space (distance) for a couple signs before the exit.

third, ny 17 west and ny 17 south?!? again, a potentially confusing setup. in california highways go (and are labeled) either east/west or north/south. seems weird that if u go in one direction on a highway ur going west and if ur going the other south! (or whatever that means)
That is at a tollgate at an exit OFF of an interstate (I-87) *AND*, once a few relatively simple upgrades farther west are completed, NY 17 (the road ahead in that image) will become 'I-86'. It already is I-86 west of I-81.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #5170
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

And I don't think that signing it as 17 South is more confusing, quite the opposite.

The BQE is a good example that strictly adheres to the standards and is signed as East/West, even though it runs north/south for its entire length. That really doesn't help anyone and most likely causes more confusion.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #5171
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post

1. I put the photo there becuz its part I-87 Interchange/ Toll Gate
2. Thats the last sign out of 4 that tell you , so if your not paying attention thats your problem. & 80% ppl after the Toll gate get off at the Exit, becuz it goes to the Massive Woodbury Commons Shopping complex and 3 State Parks and West Point.
3. NY/NJ 17 is a very old road it was here before the interstates, it used to be the only way to go to NJ form that part of NY state. I know it seems weird to you but its normal for a road here to change directions. Remember this is the East Coast everything is old here.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #5172
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Thats the last sign out of 4 that tell you , so if your not paying attention thats your problem. & 80% ppl after the Toll gate get off at the Exit, becuz it goes to the Massive Woodbury Commons Shopping complex and 3 State Parks and West Point.
The others who say there is too much information on this sign are absolutely correct, though. The MUTCD sets a firm limit of three destinations per sign, which this particular sign comfortably exceeds. The fact that it is located just after a toll gate does not make much difference since driver workload is also high at that location. Drivers coming out of the tollgates need to watch for merging traffic from both sides.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #5173
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

No matter where that sign is located at before or after or close to or wherever its located, it's a fact that there are to many destinations on the sign. Case closed
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #5174
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Even though it's not an interstate (at least east of Binghamton yet), Route 17 definitely is an interesting highway to drive on. I like the scenery around it, especially around fall, it goes through some of New York's most scenic areas.

Better than taking I-90/Thruway, which is a borefest and is nothing but flat farmland between Buffalo and Syracuse.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #5175
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Even though it's not an interstate (at least east of Binghamton yet), Route 17 definitely is an interesting highway to drive on. I like the scenery around it, especially around fall, it goes through some of New York's most scenic areas.

Better than taking I-90/Thruway, which is a borefest and is nothing but flat farmland between Buffalo and Syracuse.
I think GOV Patterson , halted the upgraded , which was smart thing to do,in these times. Becuz it was retarded to upgrade and a perfect highway to interstate status in the first place. I always use NY 17 to go to the Niagara region and Canada its faster then I-90 becuz it goes through mainly rural areas.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #5176
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

FYI

U.S. Drivers Not The Speed Demons You May Think

Data from GPS users show drivers stay within speed limit range on most major U.S. highways; the fastest highway, “America’s Autobahn,” is on I-15 in Utah and Nevada, while the slowest road is in Washington D.C.

Concord, MA – January 21, 2010 –
TomTom, the world’s leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, today revealed the first fully detailed view of which interstate highways are the fastest and slowest in the United States. Although the average speed on some U.S. roads slightly exceeded the speed limit, data from GPS users show that, overall, drivers tend to stay within speed limit range on most major U.S. highways.
http://www.teleatlas.com/WhyTeleAtla...es/TA_CT039549
The results were calculated using data from Speed Profiles™, the historical speed database from TomTom’s map business unit Tele Atlas that helps personal and professional fleet drivers find the best routes. Speed Profiles is integrated as IQ Routes™ on TomTom devices. It aggregates, anonymously, the actual speeds that millions of GPS-enabled drivers have traveled over the last two years to provide the most accurate view of historic speeds available.

Data were organized to show the average speeds on interstate highways and to reflect only free flow speed data, or average speeds when there is no traffic present. When compared to a database of posted speed limits, the results indicate that the average U.S. driver stays within the speed limit range on most urban and rural interstate highways:

Even drivers in the fastest states tend to stay within the speed limit range. Across all interstate highways, Mississippi has the fastest roads, with average speeds of just over 70 MPH and posted speed limits ranging from 65-70 MPH. New Mexico (70 MPH actual average, 70-75 MPH posted speed limits), Idaho (70 MPH actual average, 65-75 MPH posted speed limits), Utah (70 MPH actual average, 65-75 MPH posted speed limits) and Alabama (70 MPH actual average, 60-70 MPH posted speed limits), round out the top five states with the fastest interstates in the country;

Famous worldwide as a road network where drivers can go as fast as they like, Germany’s Autobahn has speed limits in some areas, but drivers typically travel over 100 MPH in unregulated spots. Where is America’s Autobahn? Our fastest road is on I-15 in Utah and Nevada, with speeds averaging 77.67 MPH, although some spots on that highway allow 80 MPH;

The nation’s fastest area is in the middle part of the country. Seven of the top 15 states with the fastest highways are in that area. The average speeds on roads in Mississippi, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Idaho, Alabama and Missouri exceed 67 MPH; the average posted speed limits in those states is 70 MPH;

Speeds on single interstate highways that span a number of states, such as the I-95 route running from Northern Maine to Southern Florida, differ dramatically depending on where you are. Along that highway, the fastest section is in South Carolina; the slowest sections are in Virginia, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

Findings for the Washington D.C. area echo results found in TomTom’s recent study of the most congested traffic spots in the U.S.. Washington D.C. has the slowest average MPH on its interstate highways, at 46 MPH. After Washington D.C., the states with the slowest interstate average MPH are: Hawaii (53 MPH); Delaware (61 MPH); Rhode Island (63 MPH); and Oregon (63 MPH).
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5177
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So what else is new?

If you follow the V85 idea (85% of the drivers not exceeding a certain speed), you'll see this is mostly within 5 - 10% of the speed limit, except in spots where the speed limit is not credible (too low).

I conduct traffic counts where we also register speed. People always come to me and say "boy, good thing you are also checking the speed, because people speed here like crazy". But when I look at the results, in 90% of the time, there is absolutely nothing weird going on. Yeah, there are a few drivers who significantly exceed the speed limit, but the majority of the traffic is close to the speed limit.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #5178
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

I know what you mean. I spot those few on the road the whole time! But most of all people drive along with the flow.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #5179
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Here's a short example of a speed registration.

It is divided in several classes.

The abs. is the absolute figure (number of vehicles counted)
The Idx. is the relative figure (percentage)

You can see there was a total of 2,426 vehicles counted, and 85% of them did not exceed 57 km/h. The speed limit on this road is 50 km/h. You can also see the number of vehicles doing more than 20 km/h over the limit is only 1.2%. Only 0.1% (3 vehicles) exceeded 90 km/h.

[IMG]http://i49.************/25z5cig.png[/IMG]
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM   #5180
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Congestion must be taken into account with this study. There's no way Alabama's drivers are faster than Georgia's in freeflowing traffic. Atlantans are insane speeders and Georgia is an extremely nice state to speed in. You're given 10mph leeway by law on all highways unless it's a construction or school zone, or you're pulled over by the state patrol.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban