daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #501
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

anywhere in New jesery...

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #502
ahmed007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

hey why some people are saying the U.S can't maintain all it is roads. i actually see maintaing a highway as an easy problem. i mean Europe does it why can't the U.S? if they have more traffic then that just means more money from paytolls.
ahmed007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #503
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed007 View Post
hey why some people are saying the U.S can't maintain all it is roads. i actually see maintaing a highway as an easy problem. i mean Europe does it why can't the U.S? if they have more traffic then that just means more money from paytolls.
We ain't got no paytolls here I personally would agree to pay $5 per 100km if they agreed to keep the roads in a decent shape. Besides, it would reduce the number of joy-riders as well.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #504
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

^There aren't any paytolls in Germany, yes, but in most European countries you still have to pay for using motorways.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #505
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Most all highways are built out of concrete to begin with. Then as the highway ages is usually covered with asphalt for smoother ridering as cracks develop in concrete. Concrete is much stronger and lasts much longer, but concrete can crack in more dangerous, long-term ways.

Let me know if you see a truly new highway that is asphalt with no concrete underneath!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #506
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Low fuel taxes, and heavy traffic keep American roads in disrepair. US cities are generally very auto dependent which makes repairing roadways very difficult. The US also has a much larger network of secondary roads (which are often as wide as the highways) that need to be maintained. Federal tax on one gallon of gas (3.8L) is $0.18. Most states either charge a lot for gas (like NY) or they gouge you with exise or property taxes (MA and NH). Either or, American drivers pay a fraction per mile compared to their EU counterparts, and therefore they have a network which is in disrepair.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #507
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Dutch fuel tax is € 0,668 per liter, plus 19% VAT. Some 64% of the fuel price exists out of tax. The US fueltax is a laughter compared to the Dutch fueltax.

But i heard, in Venezuela, it costs around € 0,03 per liter, that is about 5 dollarcents.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #508
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Sure. This is I-80 near O'Donner Pass.

Does it qualify as a bad road? Absolutely. Trust me, you can damage your axle over there.
Funnily enough, I've seen worse (don't remember specifically where, but I've definitely seen worse)

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #509
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Funnily enough, I've seen worse (don't remember specifically where, but I've definitely seen worse)
Was that at least in California?
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #510
shadyunltd

Likes (Received): 7

Please... you haven't seen Quebec's Highways. I bet any Third-World Country can beat us in terms of the road condition.
shadyunltd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #511
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Was that at least in California?
Pretty sure, yes, unless it was in Nevada

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #512
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Pretty sure, yes, unless it was in Nevada
Nevada... Nevada has the best road pavement compared to the rest of America as well as Europe (at least the countries I've driven in). I-80 and all 2-lane roads in the middle of the desert look like they've been paved yesterday. And Nevada drivers, compared to Californians, have better discipline too
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #513
ShowMeKC

We use our cars way too much here in the US, which is probably the reason why Europe can maintain them better, they don't use personal automobiles as much as we do.
ShowMeKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #514
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed007 View Post
Tolls are a political hot potato due to the sheer number of drivers that require use of the roads to get to every essential place in their daily lives. This again goes back to the way American society is structured, economically, culturally, politically, and physically.

I know that tolls are more common on the eastern seaboard than over here in the west. Perhaps the political situation is some what regional. We're almost done building a new suspension bridge here in the Seattle region and we will toll this in order to pay for it. There's a good number of people that travel across the bridge every day. Incidentally, the bridge connects to part of the region that generally has a higher than average income.

Those pictures of I-80 look a lot like the concrete on I-5 in the Seattle region. It's an excellent example of the problem.
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #515
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
Please... you haven't seen Quebec's Highways. I bet any Third-World Country can beat us in terms of the road condition.
I never had any problems with the Autoroutes (mostly driven in the Quebec City region- not so much Montreal)- but I'd agree with you on many of the back roads that have provincial route designations.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #516
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Route 15 going through montreal is a nightmare capped off with the expansion joints on that ancient bridge going over the St L River.....

Nevada does have good roads, but the roads in Arizona are better. But dont worry, once you reach New Mexico, they turn to shit again...

Generally, US highways are best in the south and west, and worst in the Northeast and upper midwest where there are temperature extremes. Hence Alex's Donner Pass looking like crap.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #517
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
Generally, US highways are best in the south and west, and worst in the Northeast and upper midwest where there are temperature extremes. Hence Alex's Donner Pass looking like crap.
And here I am complaining about the roads in the west. Hehe.

Actually, that makes sense, since the repeated freezing thawing and refreezing of water in minute cracks in the roadway surface makes those cracks worse. Not to mention repeated plowing tears roads apart.
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #518
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

that and our underroad deck is much thinner due to the fact we have more highway to maintain (or not maintain). But having driven over donner pass i do have to say you cant brake your axle. Those cracks make for a more bumpy ride yes, but you have more danger of braking your car on surface city roads than on our highways.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #519
sprtsluvr8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

The quality of roads and highways varies from state to state in the U.S. The entire country shouldn't be judged by a visitor's experience with one or two shabby highways. In my area the highways are excellent and well-maintained, and most of the surrounding states are the same way.
sprtsluvr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #520
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
The quality of roads and highways varies from state to state in the U.S. The entire country shouldn't be judged by a visitor's experience with one or two shabby highways. In my area the highways are excellent and well-maintained, and most of the surrounding states are the same way.
What region of the country do you live?

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban