daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:23 AM   #5181
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Congestion must be taken into account with this study. There's no way Alabama's drivers are faster than Georgia's in freeflowing traffic. Atlantans are insane speeders and Georgia is an extremely nice state to speed in. You're given 10mph leeway by law on all highways unless it's a construction or school zone, or you're pulled over by the state patrol.
Not sure I understood your post. Are you saying it is "legal" to go 10 over the speed limit in Georgia? I find that a little hard to believe. It may be a "policy", but I doubt it is the law.

BTW, the last time I was in Georgia I found most drivers doing the limit, especially "in town", perhaps not so much on the freeways.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #5182
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2775

Quote:
Congestion must be taken into account with this study. There's no way Alabama's drivers are faster than Georgia's in freeflowing traffic. Atlantans are insane speeders and Georgia is an extremely nice state to speed in. You're given 10mph leeway by law on all highways unless it's a construction or school zone, or you're pulled over by the state patrol.
You have got to be kidding driving on Alabama interstates is like NASCAR lite sometimes.

I'll be the first to admit, I do drive over the speed limit usually 80mph+, mainly because of the lack of state troopers on the interstates, especially at night, and the speed limits are set too low.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #5183
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
You have got to be kidding driving on Alabama interstates is like NASCAR lite sometimes.

I'll be the first to admit, I do drive over the speed limit usually 80mph+, mainly because of the lack of state troopers on the interstates, especially at night, and the speed limits are set too low.
I've been travelling from Atlanta to NC often over the last eight months or so, and it's the same there. NC state troopers used to strike fear into the hearts of speeders, but not anymore. Now it's rare to even see one, and Charlotte is like Atlanta Jr. when it comes to speeding, at least on I-85. Oddly, though, it's not as much as a free-for-all on I-485, maybe due to lack of cover.

Oh, Stuck in Bama: Thanks for that link about the US 280 upgrade in Birmingham. I've been a fan of what ALDOT did to Memorial Parkway in Huntsville. The reversed pattern of offramps and onramps was a good idea, IMO, since it greatly reduces the weaving needed at interchanges.

I've never seen a map that correctly shows Memorial Parkway as the freeway it is. Anyone who plans a trip along it anticipating a slog along a congested commercial thoroughfare is in for a very pleasant surprise.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #5184
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Not sure I understood your post. Are you saying it is "legal" to go 10 over the speed limit in Georgia? I find that a little hard to believe. It may be a "policy", but I doubt it is the law.

BTW, the last time I was in Georgia I found most drivers doing the limit, especially "in town", perhaps not so much on the freeways.
Georgia used to have a major problem with local law enforcement writing questionable tickets on people just for being out of town, especially those from metro Atlanta. In response to this, the state passed a law that helped discourage this practice: From the Official Code of Georgia.

§ 40-14-8. When case may be made and conviction had

(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

(b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts. For purposes of this Code section, the term "historic district" means a historic district as defined in paragraph (5) of Code Section 44-10-22 and which is listed on the Georgia Register of Historic Places or as defined by ordinance adopted pursuant to a local constitutional amendment.

It's not legal to go over the speed limit in Georgia (never said it was), but you can't be prosecuted for it in most marginal cases.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #5185
Rail Claimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
I've been travelling from Atlanta to NC often over the last eight months or so, and it's the same there. NC state troopers used to strike fear into the hearts of speeders, but not anymore. Now it's rare to even see one, and Charlotte is like Atlanta Jr. when it comes to speeding, at least on I-85. Oddly, though, it's not as much as a free-for-all on I-485, maybe due to lack of cover.

Oh, Stuck in Bama: Thanks for that link about the US 280 upgrade in Birmingham. I've been a fan of what ALDOT did to Memorial Parkway in Huntsville. The reversed pattern of offramps and onramps was a good idea, IMO, since it greatly reduces the weaving needed at interchanges.

I've never seen a map that correctly shows Memorial Parkway as the freeway it is. Anyone who plans a trip along it anticipating a slog along a congested commercial thoroughfare is in for a very pleasant surprise.
It's a solution that only works when access rights need to be maintained. I would not recommend it if there are viable alternatives, and the system takes some time for drivers to get used to. You wouldn't believe how many out-of-state drivers (except Texans because their feeder-system on interstates is just a larger version of what we have) and even people from other parts of Alabama I see freak out at last-minute lane changes and other complexities.
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #5186
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post

No problem
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #5187
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
It's not legal to go over the speed limit in Georgia (never said it was), but you can't be prosecuted for it in most marginal cases.
That is a common practice around the world, a little margin is always included, though 10 mph seems to be a lot, for instance, at freeway speed, the margin is only 2 mph in the Netherlands (3%).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #5188
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

In CT (and NY AFAIK), if you go just below 10mph, you're fine. I used to drive just below 75 all the time and I've never been stopped, the max in the state is 65. Just keep an eye out for cops, they sometimes hide behind bushes and billboards.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #5189
Rail Claimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is a common practice around the world, a little margin is always included, though 10 mph seems to be a lot, for instance, at freeway speed, the margin is only 2 mph in the Netherlands (3%).
A margin is common practice, but few jurisdictions codify such margins into law.
Old January 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #5190
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Blizzard in North Dakota.

Interstate 29 @ Pembina border crossing:
[IMG]http://i47.************/2mgqx08.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #5191
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Is it still open in these conditions?!

Last edited by Cosmin; January 27th, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #5192
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

HIGHLY unlikely. In fact, many interstates in the USA's central and northern Great Plains states have permanent gates at their entrances so that they can be quickly closed in bad weather. Snowstorms like that are extremely life-threatening.

In fact, I-94 between Milwaukee and the Illinois state line has 'blizzard gates' on all of its on-ramps (it is close enough to Lake Michigan that lake effect snow can make using that road that dangerous).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #5193
Rail Claimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

HIGHLY unlikely. In fact, many interstates in the USA's central and northern Great Plains states have permanent gates at their entrances so that they can be quickly closed in bad weather. Snowstorms like that are extremely life-threatening.

In fact, I-94 between Milwaukee and the Illinois state line has 'blizzard gates' on all of its on-ramps (it is close enough to Lake Michigan that lake effect snow can make using that road that dangerous).

Mike
I was wondering what those were. My brother lives right off Hwy 50 in Kenosha.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #5194
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Never mind interstates, do people drive in these conditions period?!
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5195
Buffalo

Likes (Received): 8

Buffalo, NY.RT 5, this section is know as the skyway, is going vertical and the 190 is horizontal.

photo from google
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #5196
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
Buffalo, NY.RT 5, this section is know as the skyway, is going vertical and the 190 is horizontal.
Vertical?? Slightly uncomfortable drive i must say
Old January 31st, 2010, 03:57 AM   #5197
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

I-16 in Georgia has gates on the ramps to allow contraflow during a hurricane.
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:27 PM   #5198
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
The Skyway sucks and needs to come down.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:40 PM   #5199
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Here are some shots of the Big I in Albuquerque:

> Google

Last edited by desertpunk; January 31st, 2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: attribution
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:51 AM   #5200
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

I often don't get the point of having such large interchanges. It seems like a lot of long-term waste for short-term benefits.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban