daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM   #5301
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

You live in Holland where it rains and there's 50 degree weather all the time. In America, there are wide fluctuations in climate, and this leads to cracking of the roads. If the cracks are filled in properly then the road is very smooth to drive on even if it doesn't look pretty.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM   #5302
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
... so it looks like CRCP, which means it will be really ugly and rough when a harsh winter causes blowouts: give the weather gods time. Dowelled JRCP FTW.
Looking at the scenery, I guess this is the A4 in Poland, which means that the road should be JRCP for most of its length, even though you can't see the cuts in the photo, probably due to inadequate resolution.

As far as I know, there is an experimental section on this stretch of the A4 made in CRCP technology, which everyone will watch with great interest because of the harsh winter we've had this year.

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:04 PM   #5303
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmoboy View Post
The following is a video I took of I-85 in Charlotte, NC. I realize the quality isn't the best, but I'm hoping to upgrade to a Canon 7D soon. I, also, have other videos from NC on my YouTube account. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOdcXJTTFs
I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/user/CosmoPho.../7/F22Vq4J5vcI

The common section of I-85 and I-40 in North Carolina was reconstructed to eight lanes in the late eighties, and is still one of the few 2x4 intercity links in the nation. I-40 between Greensboro and the newish I-40 bypass of Winston-Salem followed a few years later, though most of it is 2x3 with room for another lane in each direction. Between, what used to be I-40/85 still remains as it's been since the addition of two lanes and a jersey barrier median in (I think) the early seventies, since the new I-85 Greensboro bypass diverts a lot of traffic from it.

All of these freeways were built either early in the Interstate era or possibly before-- if anyone knows exactly when, I'd like to know. None of them remain in their original state, and to me it's interesting to contemplate how they got to be the way they are now.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:24 AM   #5304
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Randon Pics of I-20/59
The Jefferson County/Tuscaloosa County line around mile 100

Lawsontown Rd Overpass mile marker 103. This section of interstate was deemed the most dangerous in the country before the widening and median barrier installation

Where is Montgomery??

I-20/59/US 11/AL 5 after the I-459 interchange. This section of the interstate from MM 106 to MM 118 was yet to be widen to 6 lanes.

Powder Plant Rd Overpass. From MM 97 to MM 108 was originally built in the mid 1950's before interstate designation. Hence the very narrow median.

This use to mark the end of the interstate for years. From this point to MM 115 wasnt opened until 1979-80, finally completing the interstate from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham.

Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:04 AM   #5305
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

You drive and take photos at the same time? Thats dangerous and illegal , you should find a friend to do that.

While i was on my Rail adventures today i snapped a few pictures of the NJ TPK

Going under the Western Spur while on the PATH

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Exit 15X Ramps viewed form the Pascack Valley line

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

While @ Secaucus JCT i snapped this of the Eastern Spur near NJ 3

image hosted on flickr

NJ TPK Eastern Spur Hackensack River Bridge form the PATH

image hosted on flickr

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:19 AM   #5306
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Do you have any idea how many members here take pics while driving?
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:35 AM   #5307
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Do you have any idea how many members here take pics while driving?
Alot probably , i don't. At least mount it on the dashboard, so you don't have to take ur hands , or eyes off the road.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:08 AM   #5308
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I think with a point and shoot camera it's no more dangerous than using a cell phone. Just take one hand, point it out the front window and press the button. If you've had your camera for a while you don't need to take the time to orient the camera.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM   #5309
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I think with a point and shoot camera it's no more dangerous than using a cell phone. Just take one hand, point it out the front window and press the button. If you've had your camera for a while you don't need to take the time to orient the camera.
LOL, cell phones and driving have been proven to be very dangerous, its disreacting. Luckily for me and few of my friends we have people to drive us or take pictures while were driving. I take my eye off the road for max of 6secs and a min of 4sec to get the clear shots. But i wouldn't do that driving, becuz i could easily end up in wreck. It doesn't matter have thick the traffic is, or where it is.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM   #5310
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

With a cell phone it's the dialling and the conversation itself that's distracting. I don't even have to mention texting.
When you take pictures with a P&S cam I don't take my eyes off the road at all or no more than for 1sec. I don't take my hands off the steering wheel, just one hand. It's no more dangerous than changing radio stations and I'm sure less dangerous than changing CDs and a lot of other stuff people regularly do while driving. Even an intense conversation with your passenger can be more way more distracting.
Of course, if you do have someone to drive you around and can concentrate 100% on taking pictures, maybe even using a DSLR instead of a point&shoot, that's even better. Just don't blow things out of proportion.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #5311
Stuck in Bama

The use of cell phones while driving is NOT illegal in Alabama, and why should it be?, its no bigger distraction than eating, playing with the radio, etc, etc. Just because some cant walk and chew gum at the same time, should we also ban chewing gum?.

I personally have own a cell phone since 1999 so talking and driving is no big deal to me, and I have yet to have an accident because of it.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #5312
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
The use of cell phones while driving is NOT illegal in Alabama, and why should it be?, its no bigger distraction than eating, playing with the radio, etc, etc. Just because some cant walk and chew gum at the same time, should we also ban chewing gum?.

I personally have own a cell phone since 1999 so talking and driving is no big deal to me, and I have yet to have an accident because of it.
With all due respect, I do not agree with you on this.

Study after study has proven that cell use and/or texting is MORE dangerous than almost any driving activity, including believe it or not, driving while drunk.

As to your argument that just because you have never had an accident, that makes no sense. It doesn't mean you won't, and it doesn't factor in another driver hitting or killing you because they are distracted.

Last edited by pwalker; February 24th, 2010 at 05:34 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #5313
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
With all due respect, you are completely wrong.

Study after study has proven that cell use and/or texting is MORE dangerous than almost any driving activity, including believe it or not, driving while drunk.

As to your argument that just because you have never had an accident, that makes no sense. It doesn't mean you won't, and it doesn't factor in another driving hitting or killing you because they are distracted.

Texting is an distraction while driving than I can agree on, but just talking on the cell phone is no way more dangerous than driving drunk. You cant have impaired vision or slow reflexes by talking on the cell phone. Listening to the radio is just as big a distraction as using a cell phone.

I think we are trending more toward over-regulation in the name of "safety" on the highways.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:35 PM   #5314
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Holding a cell phone is not dangerous. But the distracting conversation or texting is. I do agree with the others saying having a deep conversation, changing CD's, configure your GPS or having a Big Mac while driving is equally if not more dangerous. But then again, such laws are almost impossible to enforce.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:08 PM   #5315
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

the big mac thing is easy: Ban drive-thru's
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM   #5316
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Holding a cell phone is not dangerous. But the distracting conversation or texting is. I do agree with the others saying having a deep conversation, changing CD's, configure your GPS or having a Big Mac while driving is equally if not more dangerous. But then again, such laws are almost impossible to enforce.
This is one time i agree with , the laws are very hard to enforce. But we should have them anyway.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM   #5317
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I know that there have been times in the past when I have been talking on a cell phone and after hanging up not have any memory of where I just drove. Once I realized that, I stopped. It's almost like I was in a trance. Perhaps not everyone has that experience, but why would I want to put myself at risk of being hit by someone like me? This is not a victimless crime. IMO, handheld cellphone use while driving should be banned, as it currently is in 15 states, including California and New York. Even more states ban texting.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/aud...6/article.html

Last edited by pwalker; February 22nd, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM   #5318
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
I know that there have been times in the past when I have been talking on a cell phone and after hanging up not have any memory of where I just drove. Once I realized that, I stopped. It's almost like I was in a trance.
I think every driver has had that experience, and not necessarily with being on the phone. Sometimes I'm driving, and suddenly I think "man, I do not remember the last few minutes exactly, what situations did I enter?"

It's called subconscious driving. But it's not necessarily a hazard to traffic safety.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #5319
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
This is one time i agree with , the laws are very hard to enforce. But we should have them anyway.
No if a traffic law is deemed "too hard to enforce" than maybe it shouldnt be a law in the first place.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:36 PM   #5320
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

Driving across the GWB during the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0xwaD7YoBo

And coming back at night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HrwMuDJFjo
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban