daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM   #5321
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Delaware has so far thankfully resisted the urge to ban talking on a phone while driving, citing inattentiveness itself as the cause. Our state assembly has discussed it a few times and rejected it. Two municipalities banned it, though, so we might be creeping towards where nanny states like New York are.

An interesting discussion, no doubt, but I'm not sure what this all has to do with Interstates in particular...
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #5322
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Delaware has so far thankfully resisted the urge to ban talking on a phone while driving, citing inattentiveness itself as the cause. Our state assembly has discussed it a few times and rejected it. Two municipalities banned it, though, so we might be creeping towards where nanny states like New York are.

An interesting discussion, no doubt, but I'm not sure what this all has to do with Interstates in particular...
Agreed, this isn't particularly about Interstates, but nontheless an important part of Interstate safety, which is important.

I predict we will see studies on how many motorists die due to "distracted driving", and how cell technology whether it be traditional handheld cellphone use, texting, or something else, will most likely be part of the statistics. I am just as much against government interference with human rights as anyone, EXCEPT, when this interference can save lives. The "technology" restrictions probably will go down similarly to the seat belt laws of the 60's and 70's. But with one important difference...seat belt laws protect individuals, the new tech laws will protect other innocent drivers.

Last edited by pwalker; February 24th, 2010 at 03:54 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #5323
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Agreed, not particularly about Interstates, but nontheless an important part of Interstate safety, which is always important.

I predict we will soon see studies on how many motorists die due to "distracted driving", and unfortunately, cell technology whether it be traditional handheld cellphone use, texting, or something else, will most likely be part of the statistics. I am just as much against government interference with human rights as anyone, EXCEPT, when this interference can save lives. The "technology" restrictions probably will go down similarly to the seat belt laws of the 60's and 70's. But with one important difference...seat belt laws protected individuals, the new tech laws will protect other innocent drivers. Those who object to that probably don't care about anyone else but themselves. That is what is so disconcerting about those against cell technology restrictions. I just don't get it.
The arguement, though, is how you can justify banning talking on a hand-held cell phone but not ban talking to a passenger, changing the radio station, shaving your beard, eating an apple, etc. What is the issue? Holding somehting while driving? Should we ban holding food then? Should driving with two hands at all times be mandated? Is talking while driving the problem? Research indicates that the actual talking is the issue (link 1, link 2), and so holding the phone up to your head isn't the problem. Further research shows that crashes won't go down hwen hands-free devices are used. So should talking in a car be banned?

I like the approach that Delaware currently takes. You are free to talk on the phone, eat, talk to a passenger, look out the side window, or do whatever you want while driving. If it is determined that you do one of these things and get into an accident, then you can be held liable for inattentive driving (possibly even if the accident is the fault of another person).
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM   #5324
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
The arguement, though, is how you can justify banning talking on a hand-held cell phone but not ban talking to a passenger, changing the radio station, shaving your beard, eating an apple, etc. What is the issue? Holding somehting while driving? Should we ban holding food then? Should driving with two hands at all times be mandated? Is talking while driving the problem? Research indicates that the actual talking is the issue (link 1, link 2), and so holding the phone up to your head isn't the problem. Further research shows that crashes won't go down hwen hands-free devices are used. So should talking in a car be banned?

I like the approach that Delaware currently takes. You are free to talk on the phone, eat, talk to a passenger, look out the side window, or do whatever you want while driving. If it is determined that you do one of these things and get into an accident, then you can be held liable for inattentive driving (possibly even if the accident is the fault of another person).
Eating Food is already , against the law in sum states and is a fine in most unless you have a passenger. Alot states and Countries are considering banning chatting and texting on a Cell Phone. If i found out the person who crashed into me , was on his phone , i would sue him , intill he had nothing.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:11 PM   #5325
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
I know that there have been times in the past when I have been talking on a cell phone and after hanging up not have any memory of where I just drove. Once I realized that, I stopped. It's almost like I was in a trance. Perhaps not everyone has that experience, but why would I want to put myself at risk of being hit by someone like me? This is not a victimless crime. IMO, handheld cellphone use while driving should be banned, as it currently is in 15 states, including California and New York. Even more states ban texting.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/aud...6/article.html
That all depends on the person driving see with me I'm so focused on driving I won't hear parts of the conversation sometimes. In fact I've gotten out of a slide on a wet road before while holding a cell phone(combination of speed and car needed new tires). Every driver is different just like taking pics while driving you just feel if the camera is level and take the pic, don't even have to look. Sure that means blurry or pics that aren't perfect but it works usually. Texting while driving is a different story.. Nobody can text while driving without being a danger especially with touch screen phones. I only text while at the many traffic lights we have around here since they are mostly long I have plenty of time to read and text before its green. They should ban texting while driving people drive bad enough without looking in their phones. If you want to ban talking on the cell phone you might as well ban passengers too.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:58 AM   #5326
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

I can imagine technology in the future which will automatically block phone reception inside the cars. If governments decide to regulate (maybe prompted by some bad accident, let say someone will kill small girl while texting) it is quite possible
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #5327
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Not likely because then a situation would happen where somebody would die trapped in a car for whatever reason and couldn't call for help.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #5328
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

Maybe a little bit off topic, but I'm planning a trip to Boston from Philadelphia on Thursday afternoon/evening and now I see there are huge storm/blizzard warnings? Do you guys think this is gonna be as dramatic as they're predicting and I should hold off on that trip or will I be ok?
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #5329
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Not really , i don't mean to be pushy but if you you take Amtrak you might have a better bet of arriving there on time or close to it , but you have to book now becuz add an extra 20-40$ if you book the same day of your travel and , this one looks long and bad for inland and coastal. 7-13inches expected over 2 days.
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #5330
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

So driving along the coast shouldn't be too bad? I don't care about the time, I'd rather not spend 15 hours on the road but it's just a casual trip to visit family for the weekend though planned month in advance. Thanks.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5331
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
Maybe a little bit off topic, but I'm planning a trip to Boston from Philadelphia on Thursday afternoon/evening and now I see there are huge storm/blizzard warnings? Do you guys think this is gonna be as dramatic as they're predicting and I should hold off on that trip or will I be ok?
According to the National Weather Service most snow will remain north of I-84. South of that it will mix with rain with little accumulation. It's expected to be all snow closer to Philadelphia. There is also some wind which allows for snow drifts to develop, though the snow accumulations are not that much (4 - 6 inches), so I think winter services ought to keep the main highways clear.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5332
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
According to the National Weather Service most snow will remain north of I-84. South of that it will mix with rain with little accumulation. It's expected to be all snow closer to Philadelphia. There is also some wind which allows for snow drifts to develop, though the snow accumulations are not that much (4 - 6 inches), so I think winter services ought to keep the main highways clear.
I still wouldn't drive , your not supposed to , it makes it harder to plow and what if you have an Accident , this is a Large Northeaster. One thing you learn in life is to never drive in a Northeaster , becuz it might be your last.

Last edited by Nexis; February 24th, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #5333
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
The use of cell phones while driving is NOT illegal in Alabama, and why should it be?, its no bigger distraction than eating, playing with the radio, etc, etc. Just because some cant walk and chew gum at the same time, should we also ban chewing gum?.

I personally have own a cell phone since 1999 so talking and driving is no big deal to me, and I have yet to have an accident because of it.
I wouldn't bet on that lasting much longer. Like seat belt laws, the federal government can enact rules that bar federal highway dollars from going to states that do not have a cell phone ban in place. Guess what happens next? Alabama bans cells while driving.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #5334
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Texting is an distraction while driving than I can agree on, but just talking on the cell phone is no way more dangerous than driving drunk. You cant have impaired vision or slow reflexes by talking on the cell phone. Listening to the radio is just as big a distraction as using a cell phone.

I think we are trending more toward over-regulation in the name of "safety" on the highways.

--

The use of cell phones while driving is NOT illegal in Alabama, and why should it be?, its no bigger distraction than eating, playing with the radio, etc, etc. Just because some cant walk and chew gum at the same time, should we also ban chewing gum?.

I personally have own a cell phone since 1999 so talking and driving is no big deal to me, and I have yet to have an accident because of it.
Don't take it too personally, but it seems you are not acknowledging the impairment you cause yourself by using a cell phone while driving, and this is the most dangerous error of all. Just like a drunk driver, you think your judgment is fine when it is severely impaired. You don't recognize you create as much danger to yourself as others, and this is why we have safety regulation - not to protect people from themselves, but to protect people from irresponsible others.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #5335
ir desi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
You should be fine if you use your New England wisdom and keep it below 45.
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #5336
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir desi View Post
You should be fine if you use your New England wisdom and keep it below 45.
Actually now it looks worse , for a majority of his trip , 5-12 in PA and NJ and 1-6 along the coast of CT to Boston and the storm will hover for 2 days, so i wouldn't travel at all unless it was an Emergency like a death in the family. The Roads need to stay clear , for the plows. In fact you can get a ticket if your caught driving in the storm in some states, since a Winter Storm Warning is in affect for the whole New York state , Eastern PA and parts of New England , it would be idiotic to drive. Sorry if that sounded harsh, but i'm tired of drivers , driving in the storms and holding up the plows.
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #5337
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Driving from the burbs on the westside to the central city

This portion has to be repair often because of the sinkhole issues we tend to have here.

Button copy sign

Another Button copy signage

If you are trying to get to Corridor X (I-22) you would need to exit here

Malfuction Junction (I-20/59 @ I-65) Completed in 1970

Downtown Birmingham

I-65

I-65 NB overpass, Malfuction Junction
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #5338
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I wouldn't bet on that lasting much longer. Like seat belt laws, the federal government can enact rules that bar federal highway dollars from going to states that do not have a cell phone ban in place. Guess what happens next? Alabama bans cells while driving.
Thats how they got the drinking age to 21.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #5339
ir desi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Actually now it looks worse , for a majority of his trip , 5-12 in PA and NJ and 1-6 along the coast of CT to Boston and the storm will hover for 2 days, so i wouldn't travel at all unless it was an Emergency like a death in the family. The Roads need to stay clear , for the plows. In fact you can get a ticket if your caught driving in the storm in some states, since a Winter Storm Warning is in affect for the whole New York state , Eastern PA and parts of New England , it would be idiotic to drive. Sorry if that sounded harsh, but i'm tired of drivers , driving in the storms and holding up the plows.
I agree with you on the importance of giving plows the space they need and with keeping safety in mind. However, places of business are still open and transportation services are still running - people need to get where they are going despite the weather circumstances. My father is catching a trans-Atlantic flight this afternoon from JFK and his flight from BOS to JFK was cancelled, so he had to drive despite the storm. In my mind at least, trips to see family fall into the "justified" category. The largest imperative is to drive cautiously and defensively. In the end, it's up to Baricur.
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #5340
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir desi View Post
I agree with you on the importance of giving plows the space they need and with keeping safety in mind. However, places of business are still open and transportation services are still running - people need to get where they are going despite the weather circumstances. My father is catching a trans-Atlantic flight this afternoon from JFK and his flight from BOS to JFK was cancelled, so he had to drive despite the storm. In my mind at least, trips to see family fall into the "justified" category. The largest imperative is to drive cautiously and defensively. In the end, it's up to Baricur.
No , he should get a hotel , in fact now theres a Travel ban in affect for some highways in New York state , Northwest Jersey , Eastern PA, and if you choose to drive and they catch you , you get a fine and points on your license.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban