daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #5341
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina
 
Barciur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania / Lublin (PL)
Posts: 2,159
Likes (Received): 1543

Hi guys, just wanted to follow up, I woke up in the morning and seeing the forecasts I booked AMTRAK and am here up in Boston and safe, where they haven't seen snow at all (just couple of inches last week) in the past few weeks.. As I was going through NJ and NYC, it was snowing quite hard, so I figured thank god I can just kick back and relax in the quiet car of AMTRAK rather than worrying about driving in this mess.. all in all, I'm here and I'm glad, thanks for the advise about AMTRAK, it was really smart and I didn't even think of it.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #5342
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to follow up, I woke up in the morning and seeing the forecasts I booked AMTRAK and am here up in Boston and safe, where they haven't seen snow at all (just couple of inches last week) in the past few weeks.. As I was going through NJ and NYC, it was snowing quite hard, so I figured thank god I can just kick back and relax in the quiet car of AMTRAK rather than worrying about driving in this mess.. all in all, I'm here and I'm glad, thanks for the advise about AMTRAK, it was really smart and I didn't even think of it.
Your Welcome , quiet car eh. Now i'm jealous , i guess it was on the Acela? The Storm itself won't totally be gone intill Sunday, when it pulls up into Northern New England , intill then on and off snow showers.
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #5343
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina
 
Barciur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania / Lublin (PL)
Posts: 2,159
Likes (Received): 1543

No, all Acela trains to Boston were cancelled :O made me nervous that my AMTRAK Regional will get cancelled but it didn't.. but let me tell you, I got on the train and it was so packed I got to business class without noticing and got kicked out So I went one car back and realized it's a quiet car.. never meant to really go there just happened to be there. And now it's snowing up here.. do you guys have a list of roads/interstates that were closed yesterday/thursday? Would be curious to know what happened.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #5344
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

Worst was Northeastern Pennsylvania where over 2 feet fell.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #5345
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
No, all Acela trains to Boston were cancelled :O made me nervous that my AMTRAK Regional will get cancelled but it didn't.. but let me tell you, I got on the train and it was so packed I got to business class without noticing and got kicked out So I went one car back and realized it's a quiet car.. never meant to really go there just happened to be there. And now it's snowing up here.. do you guys have a list of roads/interstates that were closed yesterday/thursday? Would be curious to know what happened.
Alot were closed , Interstates ,Roads , streets, but now there open. Although some are still hazardous , falling Ice , and wet snow are causing accidents on back roads and some major roads. Even in NYC there are and were accidents due to this. Power is out in alot of rural areas and semi suburban and they expect everything to be back normal by Tuesday. The Rails are all ok , except the Port Jervis line which shut down , due to many trees that need clearing. Alot of damaged homes due to trees and wind brought down some signs alot the highway. Another storm is coming on Wedensday , which might be bigger or smaller. I'm a little shocked that Acela got canceled , becuz my friend filmed a few , the day of the storm in Linden,NJ. I'm not surprised Northeast Regional was packed , it always is , Unfortnatly all there classes look the same , except for a few differences. Did you snap some photos while you bounced along @ 90-130mph? Any of I-95?
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #5346
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error
 
Gaeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,498
Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Alot were closed , Interstates ,Roads , streets, but now there open. Although some are still hazardous , falling Ice , and wet snow are causing accidents on back roads and some major roads. Even in NYC there are and were accidents due to this. Power is out in alot of rural areas and semi suburban and they expect everything to be back normal by Tuesday. The Rails are all ok , except the Port Jervis line which shut down , due to many trees that need clearing. Alot of damaged homes due to trees and wind brought down some signs alot the highway. Another storm is coming on Wedensday , which might be bigger or smaller. I'm a little shocked that Acela got canceled , becuz my friend filmed a few , the day of the storm in Linden,NJ. I'm not surprised Northeast Regional was packed , it always is , Unfortnatly all there classes look the same , except for a few differences. Did you snap some photos while you bounced along @ 90-130mph? Any of I-95?
You should see how Washington DC Area got devastated last month with more than 24 inches of snow. I went to 5 different stores/groceries and found no milk, no eggs, no butter and of course, no rock/salts to treat the road/walkway.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #5347
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
You should see how Washington DC Area got devastated last month with more than 24 inches of snow. I went to 5 different stores/groceries and found no milk, no eggs, no butter and of course, no rock/salts to treat the road/walkway.
You ran out of salt , we haven't yet , so the roads and highways here are good now , its just the fallen trees and branches here.
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #5348
Stuck in Bama
Registered User
 
Stuck in Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,303
Likes (Received): 2775




I-459 South. This also is where the western end of the Northern Beltline is proposed

First public meeting on this bypass was in 1966. It was opened to traffic in 1985.

I-65 is 15 miles from this point


Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #5349
Rail Claimore
Registered User
 
Rail Claimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,152
Likes (Received): 14

I remember taking that route at least twice a week when I lived in Tuscaloosa, usually for road trips to Atlanta.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:45 AM   #5350
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci
 
Bart_LCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: EGLC
Posts: 1,174
Likes (Received): 820

Some interesting videos regarding Alaskan Way Viaduct:

Earthquake simulation:



Bored tunnel video:



Waterfront boulevard video:

__________________
אני תומך בישראל
Bart_LCY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:27 AM   #5351
JohnFlint1985
I love New York
 
JohnFlint1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York - New Jersey
Posts: 15,621
Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Driving from the burbs on the westside to the central city
these roads seem like in a perfect condition. In NJ we shall have to fix so many potholes after this winter that I am not sure if all this can be done in a timely fashion. roads are not that good as they used to anymore.
__________________
RIP QuantumX & Desertpunk

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:13 AM   #5352
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,147
Likes (Received): 790

Those were very nice animations!! They really need to start on that project!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5353
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

The crazy I-95 / Henry Hudson Parkway interchange in New York City.
[IMG]http://i47.************/wk0mdx.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM   #5354
Stuck in Bama
Registered User
 
Stuck in Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,303
Likes (Received): 2775

Interesting design
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM   #5355
Stuck in Bama
Registered User
 
Stuck in Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,303
Likes (Received): 2775

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
these roads seem like in a perfect condition. In NJ we shall have to fix so many potholes after this winter that I am not sure if all this can be done in a timely fashion. roads are not that good as they used to anymore.

ALDOT over the last ten years have been repairing the older concrete surfaces, then laying asphalt on 20/59 from MM 116 to MM 128.

We have our share of potholes also, especially with this weather we've been having lately.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:59 PM   #5356
jchernin
Registered User
 
jchernin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Santa Rosa/North Bay
Posts: 508
Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
Increasing capacity simply increases unnecessary traffic.

I found this quote from a siegel article on ssp:

"Manhattan's West Side Highway, an elevated freeway along the Hudson River, collapsed and was closed in 1973. When it was closed, 53 percent of the traffic that had used this freeway simply disappeared. The political establishment took it for granted that they had to replace it with a bigger and better freeway, but citizen resistance delayed the replacement for two decades, and finally even the politicians saw that the city was getting along quite well without any freeway here. Instead of replacing the freeway, the city simply added new medians, a waterfront park, and a bicycle path to the surface street here."

It's a phenomenon called "disappearing traffic" when freeways are torn down. EVERYBODY expects crazy traffic jams, but in reality the opposite happens. Why? Because people's driving habits change. Everybody assumes that driving habits will remain the same before and after the viaduct.

We're not going to have a viaduct for 10 years anyway while we tear it down/rebuild it; people are going to realize that the city's doing just fine without one as people adjust to the new environment. Just tear it down for pete's sake!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
I would never want to drive on this viaduct. It was designed in the same fashion as the Embarcadero freeway and the Cypress Structure. I'm surprised that it survived Nisqually, but I don't think it'll withstand another earthquake. They need to hurry up and put something else there. It might also be good for Seattle to open up the waterfront.
when san francisco tore down the embarcadero elevated freeway following the loma prieta earthquake, they expected massive traffic jams. however, the current boulevard and streetcar line handle the traffic adequately, while creating a popular walking and running destination with stunning views of downtown san francisco, oakland, and the bay bridge. the ferry building, once obscured by freeway onramps, has become its own destination famous for its food market.

same thing with the central freeway, which was torn down and replaced with octavia boulevard:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfcitys...7607043225086/

(note, these are not my pictures, but sfcityscapes)

in fact, san francisco was to be criss-crossed with freeways:

http://www.sfcityscape.com/maps/more/freeway_revolt.jpg

contrary to popular belief, u dont 'need' freeways (at least within city centers)
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:10 AM   #5357
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

The Embarcadero Freeway only carried 40,000 - 70,000 AADT. A grid pattern street system like San Francisco has is capable of absorbing that kind of traffic. It's quite different when it is a through route, imagine demolishing I-80 in Oakland or US 101 south of San Francisco for example.

The Alaskan Way viaduct carries 74,000 AADT. That's also not very much, a six lane boulevard with signals would be capable of carrying that kind of traffic. But the question is if it's desirable to have that kind of traffic on city streets.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:10 AM   #5358
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,147
Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
when san francisco tore down the embarcadero elevated freeway following the loma prieta earthquake, they expected massive traffic jams. however, the current boulevard and streetcar line handle the traffic adequately, while creating a popular walking and running destination with stunning views of downtown san francisco, oakland, and the bay bridge. the ferry building, once obscured by freeway onramps, has become its own destination famous for its food market.

same thing with the central freeway, which was torn down and replaced with octavia boulevard:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfcitys...7607043225086/

(note, these are not my pictures, but sfcityscapes)

in fact, san francisco was to be criss-crossed with freeways:

http://www.sfcityscape.com/maps/more/freeway_revolt.jpg

contrary to popular belief, u dont 'need' freeways (at least within city centers)
San Fransisco has horrible traffic too while tearing down that freeway was a good choice it also adds traffic to other routes in the city. Traffic never disappears but commuting patterns do change. They need to just build a tunnel it is the best solution in this case.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM   #5359
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Interesting design
Its always bottlenecked and it needs an overhaul. Also the Concrete and steel are rotting away.
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:10 AM   #5360
jchernin
Registered User
 
jchernin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Santa Rosa/North Bay
Posts: 508
Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Embarcadero Freeway only carried 40,000 - 70,000 AADT. A grid pattern street system like San Francisco has is capable of absorbing that kind of traffic. It's quite different when it is a through route, imagine demolishing I-80 in Oakland or US 101 south of San Francisco for example.

The Alaskan Way viaduct carries 74,000 AADT. That's also not very much, a six lane boulevard with signals would be capable of carrying that kind of traffic. But the question is if it's desirable to have that kind of traffic on city streets.
ur definitely right. the embarcadero, as is alaskan way, are (were) stub freeways. the situation changes when refering major connecting routes - heck what about US 101 north of sf (my hood)? in marin county no alternatives exist other than the freeway. demolishing that would be ludicrous. stub freeways that cover PRIME real estate (like waterfront property), different story.

if the automobiles are kept far enough away from pedestrians then its ok to have that kind of traffic. on octavia blvd they created 'local lanes' for peds, bike and cars accessing buildings on that block and two through lanes for faster traffic. that gives people the feeling of safety since cars are kept far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
San Fransisco has horrible traffic too while tearing down that freeway was a good choice it also adds traffic to other routes in the city. Traffic never disappears but commuting patterns do change. They need to just build a tunnel it is the best solution in this case.
thats right, sf has a transit first policy. that means creating DISINCENTIVES for driving and incentives for transit. if you make driving easy, then people will drive, period.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium