daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #5401
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I know that as I used to live in Moscow. The like I said before, the cars are there because the roads are there. It is a pretty exceptional example tho. Driving in Moscow was never very easy due to the traffic, which is why I used to take the metro to most places. But the thing is with Moscow is that the roads weren't built because they were needed. Some of the roads such as I think its the Nov. Arbat where built as easy access to the country side. And others, like in Paris for ceremonial reasons etc, they just filled with cars later...This is the main difference with the US's freeways which were built specially for all the cars used in suburban areas...
What you are referring to is induced demand "build it and they will come." The interstates were originally devised under the pretense that they would be a defense and missile delivery and transport system. The military determined which roads were strategically necessary first and then the rest of the system followed. The US had an extensive and efficient streetcar system everywhere, but regulation detached the streetcar companies from their utilities and real estate subsidiaries along with a fixed fare that eventually killed the systems. It's a matter of right place at the right time. LA has several freeways that are only 6 lanes and are quite old.

Bottom line, its all a matter of land use. Cities with a dense core can handle transit. LA is one of the densest cities in the world, but the density is spread evenly on a large area.

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #5402
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I never realized how big this interchange was... Because you have no point of reference, until I measured it.

[IMG]http://i46.************/t728sw.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5403
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Wow talk about being in the middle of nowhere, but I would guess that this part of West Texas is very scenic as well.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #5404
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Awesome video from Freewayjim of I-20 through Birmingham, Alabama. Better watch it on full res on the Youtube site.

why do not americans keep right? isnt it obligatory?

many driver slowpoke in the inner (or middle) lane so many other driver have to overtake on the right...

this is total chaos...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #5405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The best way is to allow passing on the right. Europeans also tend to drive in the middle lane for no reason on 3+ lane-each-way-roads. You can get all worked up and blame "all those stupid drivers", but that just doesn't work. The police has better things to do than enforcing keep-right-unless-to-pass on a large scale.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #5406
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I always drive in the middle lane because I swear half the drivers on the road don't know the rule of keep right. In Florida it is the law to keep right and move out of the left lane for a faster car its just not enforced.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #5407
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
why do not americans keep right? isnt it obligatory?

many driver slowpoke in the inner (or middle) lane so many other driver have to overtake on the right...

this is total chaos...
I didn't see any real bad driving in this video. For the most part, everyone seemed courteous and alert. Add in left-exits, which are more common than most would believe, and this is quite normal.

As for middle-lane driving, yes I am guilty too. Only because that is the kind of driver I am...not slow, not a speeder, so the middle works for me. Perhaps that is the mentality of the average driver.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #5408
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Awesome video from Freewayjim of I-20 through Birmingham, Alabama. Better watch it on full res on the Youtube site.

Freewayjim surely offers one of the best in road movies on Youtube. If you like them, be sure to also check out the videos of FreewayBrent (all over North America) and ScrewdUPClickV2 (mainly Texas).
I didn't see any real bad driving in this video. Everyone seems quite courteous and alert. Plus, with some left-exits, which is more common than one would expect.

As for middle-lane driving, I am guilty as well. I am not a slow driver, but I'm not a speed-junkie either, so the middle is just fine. I think most drivers fit into this category.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #5409
Mr. Pollo
興味 の プロジェクト

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
I never realized how big this interchange was... Because you have no point of reference, until I measured it.
Is this where I-20 starts? Near Kent, TX ?
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #5410
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's right Mr. Pollo
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #5411
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

I'd never looked at the I-10-I-20 interchange before, but it uses an extremely economical layout requiring only one bridge for one roadway but also requiring a left exit, a left entrance, and weaving. This layout was used for a few very early interchanges and even as an at-grade layout, but surely this is the only place it's used on the Interstate System.
[img]http://i46.************/t728sw.jpg[/img]
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #5412
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 70 is closed in the Glenwood Canyon in Colorado after a major rockslide. The detour is 200 miles.

edit: picture by Denver Post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; March 8th, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #5413
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Yikes
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #5414
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

^

Wow, now we have Interstate 40 and Interstate 70 closed do to rock slides in this country.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #5415
snowman159

And it's not the first time this has happened. That section of I-70 is very prone to rock slides.

If you look at the Denver Post article you can see another picture of a giant hole in the middle of driving lanes. Thank god no one was around when it happened.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5416
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Thats happens alot on Mountainous highways , it usually doesn't make the news Unless the highway will be closed for days or weeks. But Mother Nature is trying to tell us to get off her back. This should serve as a warning not to build any more infastrature in these types of areas , unless there Power lines.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #5417
dl3000

Time to TUNNEL!!! lol. Only joking. On CA-1 near Pacifica, CA there is a section called Devil's Slide, its taken years of slides to prompt them to tunnel the area because it is a major route to SF from the coastal peninsula.

That appears to be a really pretty road.
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #5418
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
But Mother Nature is trying to tell us to get off her back. This should serve as a warning not to build any more infastrature in these types of areas , unless there Power lines.
lol, if a country is bisected by mountains, they shouldn't connect both sides of a country? What a nonsense....
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #5419
snowman159

There are ways to protect roads from falling rocks. Whether or not that would be feasible in Glenwood Canyon, I don't know.

snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #5420
dl3000

Dont forget shotcrete but probably not strong enough. Is the last one rock bolts? Those could work.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban