daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #5621
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Apparently not. It's the first time this system is even being implemented in the U.S., so I'm not surprised that we don't have the expertise.

The same can be said for any sort of rail technology that was developed after the 1950s. Seattle had to purchase their light rail vehicles from Japan, Portland got theirs from Germany, Tacoma got their streetcar from the Czech Republic, and so on...

Our fastest train, the Acela, was built by a Canadian company (Bombardier) borrowing French technology.
Canadian / New England plants made the Acela
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5622
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

The Netherlands was the first country in the world to implement active traffic management that runs automated as opposed to some VMS's that are changed from a control center which were earlier (for example New Jersey Turnpike).

The first MTM, (Motorway Traffic Management) as it is called here, was implemented on the A13 motorway between The Hague and Rotterdam in 1981. There is a flip side to that coin though, nowadays our MTM infrastructure is severely antiquated because one system is needed, so they still run on 1980's technology (copper wire, MS DOS, speed in baud, that kind of stuff)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #5623
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Some places, manually controlled electronic signs are horrible.
Aalborg would be a great example.
Today, there was a 10km congestion with traffic moving at 5-10 km/h.
Still, the traffic signs says the speed limit is 70 km/h.

Sometimes speed limit suddenly changes from 90 at one sign to 50 at the next sign.
Or 50 at 1 sign and 90 at the next one.
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #5624
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I took these today on I-280 in North Jersey

image hosted on flickr

Going Westbound

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Highway is in bad shape , but the DOT is not fixing part up yet , i have a feeling it has to do with the area its in. Because they fixed up the Harrison , Newark , and first 7 miles.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Going up the Watchung Mountains

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My exit

image hosted on flickr

I-280 Eastbound

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Exiting I-280

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The GSP Flyover to Westbound I-280

image hosted on flickr

I hope you enjoyed this update.

~Corey
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5625
JeremyCastle

I have a question about the center dividers. Much of Interstate 5 in California has nothing but a wide stretch of grass between the two sides of the highway though a stretch near Bakersfield has in the last few years put one in. Also, when visiting Virginia, I noticed that there were trees in the center rather than having a center divider. Finally, I think in most rural places in the west there is usually no center divider(need confirmation).

I was wondering, how much of the Interstate system is without a man-made barrier in the center? Is this the exception or the rule? And does there have to be a minimum width between the two sides of traffic for there not to be a center divider and assuming their is, does this differ from State law to State law?
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #5626
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
I have a question about the center dividers. Much of Interstate 5 in California has nothing but a wide stretch of grass between the two sides of the highway though a stretch near Bakersfield has in the last few years put one in. Also, when visiting Virginia, I noticed that there were trees in the center rather than having a center divider. Finally, I think in most rural places in the west there is usually no center divider(need confirmation).

I was wondering, how much of the Interstate system is without a man-made barrier in the center? Is this the exception or the rule? And does there have to be a minimum width between the two sides of traffic for there not to be a center divider and assuming their is, does this differ from State law to State law?
Suburban / Urban Interstates use Concrete or sometimes on older interstates steel dividers. Rural areas usually have grass medians or trees , unless its a busy interstate. Then it will have a steel cable barrier in the center.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #5627
kalibob32

and im sure there is also a minimum distance b/w the directions if there is no barrier/divider - i just dont know what that min is
kalibob32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #5628
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Here are a couple of Birmingham feeway videos from youtube.

I-20 West (on this video exit 110 Alabama Adventure Pkwy is the exit used to get to my house)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkxJcSCxisw

Another I-20 vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBrew9HDmI0

I-20/59 East/North & Red Mountain Expressway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQSwtf4Q10Y

I-65 South
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8lbBLB6Vg

I-65 North
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwpGNSQnzk
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #5629
Danielk2
DanielKK

Old April 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #5630
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:

Fully expecting to get my head blown off over this...

As far as standards, they're set by FHWA and developed by or in consultation with AASHTO, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. AFAIK, AASHTO is a semi-voluntary organization which works through consensus rather than trying to impose a single standard on everyone, and there is therefore room for different policies by different member agencies, and not just on median width and guardrail requirements.

I think that most states follow the standard of a 60 foot graded median except in mountainous areas where 36 feet is the standard. Some states, Virginia being one, typically provide a wide median with independent profiles for the roadways. Tennessee apparently started with the 60 foot standard for most of I-40 and I-65, then went to independent profiles for its newer Interstates.

Some states deviate from this standard. Alabama's medians look narrower than Georgia's-- maybe 50 and 30 feet. Others are a bit wider-- there are places in NC where two lanes and a jersey barrier have been added in a narrow median and there's still room for a decently wide paved left shoulder, where there wouldn't be in Georgia or SC.

As far as barriers, in my own pathetically limited travels (only SC and NC in the last year), it seems that cable rails are becoming more popular, even where medians are 60 feet wide or better. They're installed virtually everywhere in the Carolinas, and Georgia is slowly but deliberately catching up, starting with I-85 north of Atlanta, the most heavily travelled such route in the state. As far as deciding which routes have and don't have them... once a policy decision is made that a 60 foot graded median should have a cable rail barrier, there's the question of funding priority: which routes get them first (the ones on which median-crossing accidents are most likely to occur) and how installing them compares with other needs.

Last edited by Tom 958; April 18th, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typos
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #5631
JeremyCastle

Tom 958, thanks for that info, helps alot... but what do you mean by 'independent profile' like you stated in your example of Virginia.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #5632
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Tom 958, thanks for that info, helps alot... but what do you mean by 'independent profile' like you stated in your example of Virginia.
It means that each of the two roadways is designed as a separate entity, independent of the other. Doing this allows the designers to match the roadway more closely to the terrain, thereby saving on grading and somewhat compensating for the increased cost of right of way and overcrossing bridges.

EDIT: Which reminds me: I-95 between Richmond and DC was originally built with a wide median and independently-profiled roadways. But the overcrossing bridges had room under them for only two-lane roadways on I-95. When the stretch was widened to 2x3 in the early '80's, all of the bridges were removed and replaced to allow full clearance for the newly-widened three lane roadways. A bit of forthought could've saved quite a lot of money.

Last edited by Tom 958; April 18th, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #5633
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:

Prior to 1997, Caltrans (California Department of Transportation) guidelines stated that on urban freeways, no median barrier was required if the space between the travel lanes exceeded 45 feet. After a few head-on collisions on California State Route 85 which opened in 1994 and had a 46-50 foot median with no barrier, the guidelines were changed. The new guidelines requires all medians less than 75 feet wide had to have a barrier (steel or concrete).

Mind you, this only applies to freeways running in urban areas. Not sure what the guidelines are for rural freeways. If I find out, I will post it.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #5634
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:

You mention a "stretch near Bakersfield"...I wonder if you are talking about I-5, or US Hwy 99, which runs through Bakersfield. The interstate standards are different from US/State highway standards.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #5635
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
You mention a "stretch near Bakersfield"...I wonder if you are talking about I-5, or US Hwy 99, which runs through Bakersfield. The interstate standards are different from US/State highway standards.
I'm talking about I-5. Maybe I should have said Buttonwillow rather than Bakersfield, but I doubt most people(even Central Californians) know where that is. :-)
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:53 AM   #5636
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
I'm talking about I-5. Maybe I should have said Buttonwillow rather than Bakersfield, but I doubt most people(even Central Californians) know where that is. :-)
Somewhere near Kettleman City?
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM   #5637
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Somewhere near Kettleman City?
Before Kettleman City, I think between Buttonwillow and Kettleman City, before the interstate reaches the hills. There was this several mile stretch that didn't used to have any center divider, and then I think 2 or 3 years ago, it was put in. After you pass that section, the divider disappears. Maybe there were some accidents, which is why they put the divider. Just thought it was strange to see one there, as the rest of I-5 through that part of California doesn't have one.

As a side note, the In-N-Out Burger in Kettleman city was a greatly looked forward to stop between my journeys between San Diego and San Francisco.... Yummy. What I wouldn't do for a double double right now. :-) But seeing as I am in the UK now, it'll be awhile before I get to stop there again. Here, they have crap McDonalds and Burger King.:-( But I digress and am getting off-topic. :-)
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:08 AM   #5638
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I-5 Timelapse from Tukwila to Northgate (Seattle)
*Look , some ETC signs are up.

I-5 Timelapse Northgate (Seattle) to Tukwila

Old April 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #5639
JeremyCastle

Nexis, Love the music on the two videos... fits perfectly. :-)
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #5640
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Nexis didn't make those videos, but failed to credit the uploader (punkrawker4783)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban