daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #5701
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Some pics from a city we don't here see too often Detroit these are from I-75the main north-south interstate in the region thanks to Hellfighter and dougtone for the pics

Northbound approaching downtown Detroit

Around two miles of mainline and the interchanges with I-96 and Ambassdor Bridge were recently rebuilt.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Stroh Brewery was just beyond this the 75/375 interchange requiring very tight ramps

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2437/...fb5550b3_b.jpg

I-75 approaching downtown

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Interchage with I-94
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by urbanlover; May 25th, 2010 at 03:44 AM.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #5702
xd_1771

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
Some pics from a city we don't here see too often Detroit these are from I-75 the main north south interstate in the region thanks Hellfire and dougtone for the pics
Those clearview signs look smexy!!!
xd_1771 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #5703
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Those clearview signs look smexy!!!
Yep, IMO, Clearview is a clear winner!
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #5704
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Yep, IMO, Clearview is a clear winner!
Clearview is evil and must be stopped.

Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Brazil: Promise you'll never abandon Highway Gothic. I will throw up if you fall prey to the Clearview trap. Literally puke my guts if I see other countries opt for this ugly, ugly font.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #5705
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Wow the routes in Detroit look a lot better than I remember. Before they were old, bumpy, cracked highways with garbage all over the place. I'm sure the garbage will come back eventually though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Clearview is evil and must be stopped.

Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Brazil: Promise you'll never abandon Highway Gothic. I will throw up if you fall prey to the Clearview trap. Literally puke my guts if I see other countries opt for this ugly, ugly font.
Canada is trying it out right now, replacing some signs with it.

I don't see what the big deal is. As long as you can read the text, does it really matter what the text's style is? As long as it isn't absurd like this sentence.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #5706
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Wow the routes in Detroit look a lot better than I remember. Before they were old, bumpy, cracked highways with garbage all over the place. I'm sure the garbage will come back eventually though.

Canada is trying it out right now, replacing some signs with it.

I don't see what the big deal is. As long as you can read the text, does it really matter what the text's style is? As long as it isn't absurd like this sentence.
But the other countries I listed? They are not replacing their Highway Gothic with Clearview(and I hope they never do).
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #5707
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Like was previously said, I don't think the makers of clearview cared how aesthetically pleasing it was, they just want it to be legible from far away.
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #5708
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I didn't know the Davison Freeway had a number.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #5709
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Yeah. It was the first freeway in Michigan if I'm not mistaken. And one of the first depressed ones in an urban area.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #5710
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah. It was the first freeway in Michigan if I'm not mistaken. And one of the first depressed ones in an urban area.
I think I remember seeing it on maps that go back to the 40s, so you're probably right. Maybe it wasn't numbered because the city was responsible (or, since it passes through one or two suburbs, the cities or the counties). Just like the Périphérique.

Suppose a check of Wikipedia is in order.

[Edited to add:]
Yep:

"Named for an English immigrant to the area, Davison Avenue was originally the only street connecting across Highland Park to Detroit. It was rebuilt by the city and Wayne County as a freeway during World War II. The roadway was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) in 1993 and numbered as M-8. Subsequent changes by the state rebuilt the freeway and extended the M-8 designation to connect to the Jeffries Freeway (I-96)."
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #5711
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Like was previously said, I don't think the makers of clearview cared how aesthetically pleasing it was, they just want it to be legible from far away.
That's exactly the problem. Highway Gothic looks good AND is legible from a far distance. Whoever came up with Clearview was solving a problem that nobody had.

“Highway Gothic now, Highway Gothic tomorrow and Highway Gothic forever!”
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #5712
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

^ Though I agree Highway Gothic looks better, clearview is more easily distinguishable from longer distances.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #5713
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

After driving several freeways with Clearview as the dominant font for most highway signs, I have to say I prefer Clearview over Highway Gothic. The latter will always have its charms though, and it is still superior on signs with black text on a light background.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #5714
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/18/ame...er=yahootravel

Photos: America's Scariest Highways

America's Scariest Highways
When driving on the country's picturesque arteries, ignore the sights and pay attention to the road.
By Tim Kiladze

Mark Sedenquist and Megan Edwards' California home was destroyed by a forest fire in 1993. Instead of rebuilding, the couple bought an RV and took to the open road, traveling across the U.S. and Canada for almost seven years.

The co..uple has since settled in Las Vegas, but they continue to take driving vacations and encourage others to do the same on their website, RoadTrip America, which they run through Flattop Productions, their small business. Sedenquist and Edwards estimate they've traveled over 650,000 miles.

To identify the nation's scariest highways we sought advice from Sedenquist and Edwards, as well as from Marree Forbes (no affiliation with Forbes Inc.), who runs the site American Driving Vacations, and Robert Dolezal, author of The Most Scenic Drives in America: 120 Spectacular Road Trips...............

Angeles Crest Highway (California)
Located in the California interior, this highway heads northeast through the mountains from Los Angeles. Much of it is a two-lane road on which motorcycle and sports car drivers love to speed.

Highway 1 (Florida)
Outside of Key West this roadway turns into a two-lane bridge that crosses an expansive body of shallow water that reflects blinding sunlight. On top of that, "it's really tough for the driver to stay focused because everything around you is so blue," Sedenquist says. This stretch of highway is also troublesome during hurricane warnings because it is the only way out and gets packed with evacuees.

U.S. Route 50 (Nevada)
Called "The Loneliest Road in America" by Life in 1986, this Nevada highway is eerie because there is so little around it. "It's not uncommon for more than 30 minutes to pass before you spot another car," Dolezal says. "It brings out all those UFO and buzzard-circling fears, along with more reasonable ones about your car breaking down."

Interstate 70 (Colorado)
I-70 through Denver has one of the highest passes on all the interstates, and its steep hills can be extremely slick in the winter. In bad weather "you just stay in your lane, don't touch your brakes, and hope you make it to the bottom," Sedenquist says.

Saddle Road (Hawaii)
Saddle Road winds through the Hualalai and Kohala Volcanoes, and much of it is comprised of only two very narrow lanes. To make things worse, some of its bridges are only one-way, meaning drivers must take turns crossing--but they don't always follow this rule.
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #5715
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

That should say west of Denver. I-70 through Denver is your typical urban highway through relatively flat land. You don't start climbing hills until you are well west of the city.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #5716
verum

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
*Toronto is in Canada. This thread's about the US
It was a really lame attempt at humor....
verum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #5717
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
^ Though I agree Highway Gothic looks better, clearview is more easily distinguishable from longer distances.
I agree, I like Clearview, especially when it's white-on-blue. Some pictures:

Clearview white-on-blue at Seattle Tacoma International Airport

Gothic white-on-green and Clearview white-on-blue side by side

I also tried a mock version of Clearview on one of my presentations for class. People sitting in the back of my class really liked it.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5718
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

About the US 50 in Nevada as the "loneliest highway", isn't this more marketing than truth? I always thought US 6 in Western Utah/Eastern Nevada is far more desolate.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #5719
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Scary stuff:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...sh.WFAA?hpt=C2

It seems like it's entirely the car's fault for hitting the truck. But I'd also say:

1. The truck is impeding passing traffic, since the right lane was travelling faster than the middle lane
2. Passing the truck on the right is extremely dangerous, even though it's legal in the U.S.

Either way, this looks like something that "Keep Right Except to Pass" and "No Passing on the Right" would have been able to prevent, or at least reduce the severity of it. The tight curve on that highway didn't help the situation very much either.

Last edited by HAWC1506; May 29th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #5720
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

"Scariest Highway"? Try US 550 from Durango Colorado to Montrose CO. Especially in the winter. High mountain passes, steep drop-offs and lonely too!

image hosted on flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban