daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #5801
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Plus if someone drifts in their lane, the dots are easily heard. If they were all reflective, it would be quite bright.

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #5802
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Plus if someone drifts in their lane, the dots are easily heard. If they were all reflective, it would be quite bright.
Washington State does that, and man, it looks beautiful at night. Everything is reflectorized
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #5803
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Botts Dots work well in mild-weather states. In Washington State where it snows, the raised pavement markings are dug up by snowplows. Even then, they don't work well in areas with heavy traffic volumes. However, they are very visible in the rain which is a plus.

Washington State has now shifted to "Profiled Pavement Markings". These are regular plastic markings, but with parts of them thicker to form a "rumble" strip. It combines the durability and reflectivity of plastic markings with the safety mechanism of Botts Dots. I believe this is widely used in the Netherlands and the UK. I wouldn't expect German Autobahns to use these at non-restricted sections.

Sometimes, both Botts Dots and Profiled Pavement Markings are used.

Last edited by HAWC1506; June 27th, 2010 at 02:36 AM.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #5804
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Some promised photos from my trip.
First few shots from I-94 somewhere between Fargo and Bismarck in North Dakota:

To be continued....
I love these photos. Speed limit 75 will work well with me on freeways.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #5805
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
That's a great shot, and a good example of how the Interstate system was designed in the late 50's. Wide medians, and note the attention to keeping the median in great shape. (I understand many medians have been filled in due to population growth, but this is the original standard!)
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #5806
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I think 75 on such freeway is still to low. Of course most people drive around 10 miles extra which means 85mph but even that is not too fast for such straight, not heavily trafficked, and well maintained road.

A lot of traffic in Europe flays around 90mph on much more congested and curvy freeways.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #5807
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Love the wide medians: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_MwSilCWQeS4/TC...0/DSC03246.JPG
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #5808
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1543

Quote:
I think 75 on such freeway is still to low. Of course most people drive around 10 miles extra which means 85mph but even that is not too fast for such straight, not heavily trafficked, and well maintained road.

A lot of traffic in Europe flays around 90mph on much more congested and curvy freeways.
Right, but there are highways like that in Northeast and max speed here is 65.. we'd welcome 75 very much
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #5809
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32152

So in summary what is the reason for using Botts Dots? I thought it had to do with durability for they last much longer than the usual rubberized paint.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5810
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

I'm curious about those american medians, what's reason behind their shape that they are using pit shape instead of hill shape or just straight horizontal shape on the level with road? It would be more logical for me to use hill shape, because when you accidentaly go there you will easier go back and it's harder to get car on the roof than when you are going downhill, isn't? Or why not just use straight horizontal medians?
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5811
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
So in summary what is the reason for using Botts Dots? I thought it had to do with durability for they last much longer than the usual rubberized paint.
Botts Dots were created to provide the "vibration" when you drive over them. That was the primary purpose. They are less durable than plastic paint.

They are gradually being replaced with profiled pavement markings in many areas, especially those with high traffic volumes.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #5812
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aan View Post
I'm curious about those american medians, what's reason behind their shape that they are using pit shape instead of hill shape or just straight horizontal shape on the level with road? It would be more logical for me to use hill shape, because when you accidentaly go there you will easier go back and it's harder to get car on the roof than when you are going downhill, isn't? Or why not just use straight horizontal medians?
My guess is for water drainage. Plus it appears that the pavement is always a little bit higher than the immediate surrounding terrain
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #5813
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yeah, so that if the snow melts, the freeway isn't immediately under water. I remember those floods in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and New Orleans, Louisiana, where the freeways were the only roads still passable.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5814
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

yeah, I figured that after studying some pages about median (after posting) and saw some photos with water that this can be one of the reasons (this can be solved as in Europe), but still think it's more dangerous for cars/drivers than uphill/straight median
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #5815
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

The Interstate Part of my trip today....

I-280 East in East Orange,NJ

image hosted on flickr

City of Newark - NJ's Largest and Second most Diverse City

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Exiting

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Later after the Newark Museum - NJ's Largest Museum.....

I-280 East in University Heights / Downtown

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

City of Harrison - one of NJ's Fastest Urban Renewal cities

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A view of Downtown Newark

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Exiting I-280 to Hudson County route 508

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #5816
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Historical photos of Wisconsin Interstates
courtesy of the Wisconsin Historical Society

The intersection of Interstate 90/ 94 with USH 12 between Baraboo and Lake Delton.

I-90 overpass in Rock County

Interstate Highway I-90 and USH 12/18 (the beltline) east of Madison.

Interstate highway I-94/ USH 41 in Kenosha County.

Interstate I-90 and State Highway 35 at La Crosse, looking towards Minnesota.

Last edited by brewerfan386; June 30th, 2010 at 02:13 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #5817
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Interesting! You can see the development, on that Madison pic, the suburb of McFarland wasn't there yet, as was the Kenosha Regional Airport.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5818
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting! You can see the development, on that Madison pic, the suburb of McFarland wasn't there yet, as was the Kenosha Regional Airport.
McFarland was there, but it was a very tiny, isolated village located off of that image to the right that was swamped up into the Madison metro area since. The City of Madison itself has been gaining about 20K in population in each USCensus since at least WWII and has historically been highly aggressive with annexation. Most of that interchange area is now in the City of Madison.

Also, only now is I-94 in Kenosha and Racine Counties being re-engineered to eliminate the last of those screwy frontage road interchanges (I-43 was never on that grade). It is being upgraded from six to eight through lanes as a part of that project - on a grade that was already 2+2 before WWII. http://www.plan94.org/ Before the interstates, it was US 41, which the highway is still marked as, in addition to I-94. It is the main highway between Chicagoland and Milwaukee.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #5819
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

The Lake Delton exit has also scene alot of development over the years as well. Especially now with the new expressway/ freeway bypass of the existing USH 12 grade south to Baraboo, currently under construction. (starting at Fern-Dell road)

side note: WisDot has almost NOTHING about the bypass on there web site, except for a single PDF brochure from 2006. While one intersection in Polk County gets four different webpages full of design info, contacts, studies, and traffic info/ detours.

Last edited by brewerfan386; June 30th, 2010 at 02:15 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #5820
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
The Lake Delton exit has also scene alot of development over the years as well. Especially now with the new expressway/ freeway bypass of the existing USH 12 grade south to Baraboo, currently under construction. (starting at Fern-Dell road)

side note: WisDot has almost NOTHING about the bypass on there web site, except for a single PDF brochure from 2006. While one intersection in Polk County gets four different webpages full of design info, contacts, studies, and traffic info/ detours.
Also, I do not at all like how that new US 12 freeway is being connected to I-90/94 there (a direct feed into the existing interchange from the south). I would have connected it to the interstate with a trumpet intechange by the curve at the west end of that image, with the existing US 12 interchange being 'piggybacked' on it using collector/distributor lanes. This would keep the existing highway in place for local access to the fast-growing resort developments in that area while removing the through traffic from that area.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban