daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:05 AM   #5821
verum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17
Likes (Received): 0

For the interest of Interstate history...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7FtlrQr7nk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7FtlrQr7nk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

(not all of these freeways are IHS)
verum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:07 AM   #5822
brewerfan386
Registered User
 
brewerfan386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cheeseland
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 158



reposted it for you
__________________
[intentionally left blank]
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM   #5823
ttownfeen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: William T. Sherman's stomping grounds
Posts: 454
Likes (Received): 17

^ SSC has a youtube tag.

[youtube]r7FtlrQr7nk[/youtube]

ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM   #5824
dl3000
Registered User
 
dl3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 418
Likes (Received): 10

Wow the roads themselves don't all that different today besides the cars.
__________________
"San Diego...drink it in, it always goes down smooth" - Ron Burgundy
dl3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:12 AM   #5825
verum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17
Likes (Received): 0

Youtube tag fail. Damn, do I feel stupid...

Edit: The saddest part is that I've posted YT videos before and known to use the tags. I guess that's what happens when posting after staying up for 20 hrs straight (for me that's a lot).
verum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #5826
brewerfan386
Registered User
 
brewerfan386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cheeseland
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 158

Wisconsin Interstates
from around the state

image hosted on flickr

(courtesy of "Vincent Desjardins". link) Taken somewhere between Milwaukee and the IL border. EDIT Taken near the Milwaukee-Racine County line, thanks Mike.

image hosted on flickr

(courtesy of "spmedic". link) View of a closed I-94/90/39 near the Portage/ Poynette area, the Wisconsin River bridge is also visible in this photo. The road was closed because of severe flooding in late spring of 2008.

image hosted on flickr

(courtesy of "greeblie". link) I-94 near the Hixton exit.

The next couple are from the Madison area.
image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr

(all of the Madison area pics are courtesy of "Steve Schar". link)
__________________
[intentionally left blank]

Last edited by brewerfan386; July 5th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #5827
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68


That top one is southbound I-94 at the Milwaukee-Racine County line (27th St is to photographer's back).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #5828
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779


Is that stretch marked as North and South rather than East and West?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #5829
brewerfan386
Registered User
 
brewerfan386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cheeseland
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

Is that stretch marked as North and South rather than East and West?
Its known colloquially as the North-South Freeway, but I don't think it (I-94) is signed that way.
EDIT Is the Zoo Interchange 100% reopened yet?
__________________
[intentionally left blank]

Last edited by brewerfan386; July 5th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #5830
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
Its known colloquially as the North-South Freeway, but I think don't it (I-94) is signed that way.
EDIT Is the Zoo Interchange 100% reopened yet?
It is a confusing mess on that part of I-94 - the road runs north-south, but the highway is 'I-94 EAST' and 'I-94 WEST'. It also carries US 41, which does have 'NORTH/SOUTH' directionals.

That is one reason why I'd like to see US 41 between Milwaukee and Green Bay get the number '57' whenever it is 'promoted' to full interstate status - I-57 can be added to that section of I-94 as a simple, logical extension of I-57 in Chicago, giving it a far less confusing proper north-south route number.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #5831
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
It is a confusing mess on that part of I-94 - the road runs north-south, but the highway is 'I-94 EAST' and 'I-94 WEST'. It also carries US 41, which does have 'NORTH/SOUTH' directionals.

That is one reason why I'd like to see US 41 between Milwaukee and Green Bay get the number '57' whenever it is 'promoted' to full interstate status - I-57 can be added to that section of I-94 as a simple, logical extension of I-57 in Chicago, giving it a far less confusing proper north-south route number.

Mike
But they'd still have to do something with 94, unless you route it along with I-90 all the way from northwest Indiana to Tomah.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #5832
Tom 958
Registered User
 
Tom 958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: near Atlanta
Posts: 786
Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But they'd still have to do something with 94, unless you route it along with I-90 all the way from northwest Indiana to Tomah.
If it were my decision, I'd terninate I-94 at Milwaukee, renumber I-94 east of I-80-90 in Indiana to I-92, and do away with the rest by extending I-65 to Milwaukee and beyond. But that's just me.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #5833
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But they'd still have to do something with 94, unless you route it along with I-90 all the way from northwest Indiana to Tomah.
I'm assuming that nothing will be done with I-94, it will stay where it is. 'I-57' and I-94 could share the same roadway between the split at 95th St in Chicago and the Hale Interchange (I-43/94/894) in Milwaukee, with 'I-57' completely replacing I-894 over its entire length and then continuing on northward via US 45 and US 41.

Further musings could indeed have I-94 rerouted and/or replaced and *MANY* different possibilities exist to clean up its numbering.

These possibilities, all with my above 'I-57' idea in place, could include:
-Simply rerouting I-94 to replace I-894 around Milwaukee, with the I-94 routing through the city being replaced with 'I-794' on the east-west part and I-43 by its lonesome on the north-south part (Milwaukee radio traffic reports often just call it 'I-43' or simply 'forty-three', even though it was originally just I-94);
-In combination with the above, reroute I-94 to replace I-294 around Chicagoland, the Calumet Expressway could then become 'I-394'.
-Ending I-94 at Tomah, WI, replacing I-94 between the Badger Interchange in Madison and the Marquette Interchange in Milwaukee with 'I-92'. I-94 east of I-80/90 could become 'I-82' and the Calumet Expressway in Chicagoland 'I-357'. I-794 could become 'I-743' or 'I-792'.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; July 6th, 2010 at 04:29 AM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #5834
Tom 958
Registered User
 
Tom 958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: near Atlanta
Posts: 786
Likes (Received): 163

Gee, nobody ever likes my I-65 idea. Its advantage over I-57 is that WI 57 is a fairly major route that also links Milwaukee and Green Bay, while WI 65 is short and located in the state's far west.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #5835
Rail Claimore
Registered User
 
Rail Claimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,152
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Gee, nobody ever likes my I-65 idea. Its advantage over I-57 is that WI 57 is a fairly major route that also links Milwaukee and Green Bay, while WI 65 is short and located in the state's far west.
I'd say extend the numbering of I-55 instead. I-65 should go along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan to Muskegon.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #5836
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I'm assuming that nothing will be done with I-94, it will stay where it is. 'I-57' and I-94 could share the same roadway between the split at 95th St in Chicago and the Hale Interchange (I-43/94/894) in Milwaukee, with 'I-57' completely replacing I-894 over its entire length and then continuing on northward via US 45 and US 41.

Further musings could indeed have I-94 rerouted and/or replaced and *MANY* different possibilities exist to clean up its numbering.

These possibilities, all with my above 'I-57' idea in place, could include:
-Simply rerouting I-94 to replace I-894 around Milwaukee, with the I-94 routing through the city being replaced with 'I-794' on the east-west part and I-43 by its lonesome on the north-south part (Milwaukee radio traffic reports often just call it 'I-43' or simply 'forty-three', even though it was originally just I-94);
-In combination with the above, reroute I-94 to replace I-294 around Chicagoland, the Calumet Expressway could then become 'I-394'.
-Ending I-94 at Tomah, WI, replacing I-94 between the Badger Interchange in Madison and the Marquette Interchange in Milwaukee with 'I-92'. I-94 east of I-80/90 could become 'I-82' and the Calumet Expressway in Chicagoland 'I-357'. I-794 could become 'I-743' or 'I-792'.

Mike
The reason I posed my question is you seemed to be objecting to 94 being there.
I realized after the fact that my route-it-along-90 idea is absurd: I inexplicably and inexcusably forgot about the Milwaukee-to-Madison piece. But have you forgotten about Chicago-to-Detroit (i.e., -Port-Huron)?

Here's a wild idea: call the Madison-to-Milwaukee piece 96 and build a causeway to Muskegon. Although we still strand Kalamazoo, Battle Creek....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #5837
Squiggles
Registered User
 
Squiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 728
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
That is one reason why I'd like to see US 41 between Milwaukee and Green Bay get the number '57' whenever it is 'promoted' to full interstate status - I-57 can be added to that section of I-94 as a simple, logical extension of I-57 in Chicago, giving it a far less confusing proper north-south route number.
There has been talk of renaming the route between Milwaukee and Green Bay as "Interstate 41" to replace the current U.S. Highway designation. There is also consideration of making it a continuation of I-55 from Chicago northward, via I-894 and U.S. 45.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #5838
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Gee, nobody ever likes my I-65 idea. Its advantage over I-57 is that WI 57 is a fairly major route that also links Milwaukee and Green Bay, while WI 65 is short and located in the state's far west.
I-65 is pretty much OK as it currently ends.

As for WI 57? I'd move US 41 to replace it between metro Milwaukee (I-43/WI 57 Port Washington split) and Green Bay and give the part NE of Green Bay a different number. WI 57 is a pretty major highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I'd say extend the numbering of I-55 instead. I-65 should go along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan to Muskegon.
Two problems with this one:
-WI 55 is a very lengthy state highway that intersects US 41 at Kaukauna, WI and it would have to be renumbered, and
-Yes, I-55 now ends at US 41, but it ends at the wrong part of it (Lake Shore Drive). It would have make an awkward, unnatural turn to the north at the Dan Ryan at the SW corner of the downtown Chicago area to continue on towards Milwaukee.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #5839
Squiggles
Registered User
 
Squiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 728
Likes (Received): 22



I-39/90/94 from the Highway K bridge about six miles east of Lodi. Taken about three weeks ago at sunset.
__________________

brewerfan386 liked this post
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #5840
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post


I-39/90/94 from the Highway K bridge about six miles east of Lodi. Taken about three weeks ago at sunset.
Is 6 lanes really needed there , seems such a waste.....
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium