daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #5921
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Just a quip, is Metro Detroit really shrinking that badly? I know a few places in Southeastern Michigan are holding steady, namely Ann Arbor.

Anyways, the article on a I-422 is interesting. Realistically, could they make a toll road? I know under most circumstances tolls != interstate, but what about a special deal?
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #5922
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Whether metro Detroit is shrinking, I don't know. The population within city limits is less than half of what it was in 1950. (See the chart about halfway down the page here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit,_Michigan)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #5923
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Just a quip, is Metro Detroit really shrinking that badly? I know a few places in Southeastern Michigan are holding steady, namely Ann Arbor.
I think that Detroit is shrinking, but the suburbs are holding steady.

Perhaps though, with the current economic climate, they might be.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #5924
Xusein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Every city is doing , Newark did it , Camden plans on doing along with Baltimore , DC , New Haven , Hartford , Trenton ,etc. But projects like these make it appear as there sugar coating the cities problems.
Hartford never really "renovated" anything, most of the redevelopment projects were in the downtown.
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5925
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Hartford never really "renovated" anything, most of the redevelopment projects were in the downtown.
That New Rail line and future Transit system will give it the much needed push to be redeveloped.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #5926
Xusein

Perhaps in the future, but they keep on pushing those projects so back that they aren't relevant atm.

Connecticut is a terrible state when it comes to transportation. They still dislike public transport, but sit on their hands when it comes to highways.

To the state's credit though, I see more construction going on in recent days. Maybe that stimulus money is starting to kick in here.
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #5927
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Perhaps in the future, but they keep on pushing those projects so back that they aren't relevant atm.

Connecticut is a terrible state when it comes to transportation. They still dislike public transport, but sit on their hands when it comes to highways.

To the state's credit though, I see more construction going on in recent days. Maybe that stimulus money is starting to kick in here.
Depends , Southern CT the mood is towards Transit and Rail. Northern CT is against it except Hartford form what i'm told. But its strange even with Rail service to cities like Waterbury and Danbury there still anti-Transit I think it will change , when gas goes up again. The New Haven-Springfield line should open up in a few years. And the Full build plan should be done by the end of the decade. The last DOT leader was very Transit friendly , so is rell. But most of the improvements went to the NEC area.
Old August 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #5928
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:

Sounds like my region in Florida.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #5929
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I-90 EB Express Lanes Timelapse

Old August 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #5930
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

It looks like they're expanding the express lanes in a certain area.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #5931
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

It looks like they're expanding the express lanes in a certain area.
That's heading eastbound out of Seattle, WA.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #5932
Roope E

Likes (Received): 0

HOV lanes are great. Anything that makes the americans think a little bit about being more ecological is great. They drive massive polluting cars by themselves. This at least reduces the amount of cars. I am not saying it's necessarily a good idea but it puts the idea of being eco friendly in people's minds. Another thing that's going on in Europe is taxing cars according to their emissions. I know they've done this in US as well but when I visited the east coast I, honestly, did not see a single small car. Did see a few Toyota Prius but that's as far as it goes.

Don't get me wrong. I love america and the fact that everything is BIGGER in there, but the fact is that they got 4-5% of the population of earth yet produce 20% of man-made pollution. The climate is changing quicker than the scientists expected and we must do everything in our power to stop the change. Hence, HOV lanes have the principle but I'm sure there's better things that could be done in this matter.
Roope E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #5933
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

I-696 sometimes jokingly referred to the Detroit's Autobahn due to the seemingly lack of speed limits by drivers

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #5934
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I-90 EB Express Lanes Timelapse
Bit outside your usual territory, isn't it? :-)
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #5935
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roope E View Post
HOV lanes are great. Anything that makes the americans think a little bit about being more ecological is great. They drive massive polluting cars by themselves. This at least reduces the amount of cars. I am not saying it's necessarily a good idea but it puts the idea of being eco friendly in people's minds. Another thing that's going on in Europe is taxing cars according to their emissions. I know they've done this in US as well but when I visited the east coast I, honestly, did not see a single small car. Did see a few Toyota Prius but that's as far as it goes.

Don't get me wrong. I love america and the fact that everything is BIGGER in there, but the fact is that they got 4-5% of the population of earth yet produce 20% of man-made pollution. The climate is changing quicker than the scientists expected and we must do everything in our power to stop the change. Hence, HOV lanes have the principle but I'm sure there's better things that could be done in this matter.
Now all we need is to get the French (and their neighbors) to stop forming hundreds of miles of traffic jams every summer weekend, with the best trains in the world sometimes within sight of the roads.... (Take that as a reflection on human nature, and pessimism about how easy it is to change people's habits.)
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #5936
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I think the reason HOV is working in the US is that there is a lack of public transport. HOV probably substitutes that. HOV never worked in Europe, a trial in the Netherlands was a major flop.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #5937
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Actually HOV was a flop in many major US cities which is why they have converted and still are converting them into "express" toll lanes and keeping the HOV status as well. They are referred to as "lexus lanes" because the wealthy can easily afford a toll and get home quicker but even with that principle I kind of like these because it gets you out of traffic.

I-95 Express Miami

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; August 11th, 2010 at 06:01 AM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #5938
Xusein

HOV lanes are usually not very utilized here in the Hartford area. Both I-91 north of the city, and I-84 east of it have HOV lanes for significant sections. I did notice that they are used heavily by buses though, to deal with the traffic during the rush hour.

[IMG]http://i33.************/2wf1sid.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.aaroads.com/northeast/con...xit_058_03.jpg

[IMG]http://i36.************/xlf95s.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.aaroads.com/northeast/con...xit_038_03.jpg
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #5939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Some areas have HOV restrictions only during rush hour.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #5940
Nexis
Dark Wolf

My state used to have a large HOV network but for some wacky reason got rid of it. We can sure use it now....

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban