daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #581
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Ok, then I guess it's impossible.
Except in Germany apparently, where the roads are built by the master race, and are maintained to ultra-smooth standards on pain of death by the fuhrer himself.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #582
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Except in Germany apparently, where the roads are built by the master race, and are maintained to ultra-smooth standards on pain of death by the fuhrer himself.
You just have a prejudice against Germany, admit it. You invented a fictious argument and now are trying to defeat it. Well, good luck fighting with your windmills.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #583
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
I get the feeling California's always been different-
no exit numbers for the longest time, US highway "cutout" shields, big buttons to divide lanes as opposed to painted lines, etc...
Yes. Since I have been living here for 7 years I just became used to California's customised signage and road marking, but whenever I drive in Nevada or Oregon, I immediately notice better standardisation. Actually, I would prefer better if instead of the exit numbers they installed mile-markers. In California they have distance markers but they are not intended for motorists because they have just too much of information. County name and distance are written in such a small font that it is impossible to read it while driving.
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #584
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Yeah, i never know why most US exits have only a street name or a road number.
Since the USDOT wants to keep all guide signs green, they never put distant cities and local streets on the same sign. If they indeed used white background for local destinations, then it would work great. I also like the target sign instead of words "Zentrum" or "Downtown".
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #585
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom92 View Post
I've never driven in California, so I can't compare drivers to where I live, but they must be pretty bad, because it seems drivers around here aren't very pleasant. I have my bad days too, mind you.
I have heard that Seattle drivers are not very good, but I never had a chance to experience it yet. But the view that opens from the Seattle Int'l Airport is just GREAT. I had to spent nearly 3 hours waiting for Spokane flight, and I enjoyed it so much.

Quote:
Did you enjoy your time up in "this neck of the woods" as it were?
I actually did. By the way, "this neck of the woods" in Eastern WA and Western ID seemed more civilised than over-populated Bay Area for example. I hope by the mid June I will consider myself a resident of WA Go Cougars!!!

One interesting thing was that two taxi drivers who drove me to/from Spokane airport said they were originally from California. They both said they never regret leaving Kali and that they enjoyed every single moment of living in Spokane.
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #586
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:

Why don't you peddle your offensive nonsense elsewhere.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #587
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Ok, yes, that could be construed as offensive, but really, that's pretty funny.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #588
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

It's funny how?
We're not exactly dealing with someone here who has the timing of John Cleese; it's just a crap statement from someone who has nothing to add. And it's aimed a country that does a very decent job keeping their motorways at a super-high standard.
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:45 AM   #589
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
It's funny how?
We're not exactly dealing with someone here who has the timing of John Cleese; it's just a crap statement from someone who has nothing to add. And it's aimed a country that does a very decent job keeping their motorways at a super-high standard.
Someone with no point going straight to Nazi references about Germany = funny, since it just shows how pathetic the argument has gotten. It's just like whenever anyone brings something up that Bush has done to try to make fun of the United States.

Besides, anyone with half a brain knows that Germany of today is one of the foremost countries of the world, so no worries. There's no harm in laughing at dumb humor once in a while.
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM   #590
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

I don't disagree with what you've said. I was actually more offended by the fact that he, or anyone else, thought what was written was funny. From a humor standpoint it's just crap. And by placing the " " at the end of his "humor" it was all the more pathetic.
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM   #591
sprtsluvr8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

I thought it was funny...but it's only funny if you're amused by sarcastic/offensive humor. I call it Southpark Humor...equally offensive to all races, nationalities, genders, religions, etc.
sprtsluvr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM   #592
PlaneMad
Non-Paying Member

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Sure. This is I-80 near O'Donner Pass.

And some zooming for you.

Does it qualify as a bad road? Absolutely. Trust me, you can damage your axle over there.

You should come to India
PlaneMad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:59 AM   #593
Alex Von Königsberg

Yeah, that kind of humor might be funny (like Family Guy where they make fun of everyone), but our dude from C-O-L-U-M-B-U-S has got a thing against Germany. Keeping this in mind, it is hard to regard his remarks about Germany simply as humor.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM   #594
Alex Von Königsberg

I don't get it. No one can prohibit SSC members to use word d o w n t o w n regardless of whether it is someone's trademark or not. It is pathetic.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM   #595
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Yeah, that kind of humor might be funny (like Family Guy where they make fun of everyone), but our dude from C-O-L-U-M-B-U-S has got a thing against Germany. Keeping this in mind, it is hard to regard his remarks about Germany simply as humor.
Considering how many people have a thing against the United States on this site, I can sympathize, but at the end of the day, I have less of a chance of changing their opinion than I do of becoming President tomorrow, so really, there's nothing to get worked up over.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM   #596
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
I don't get it. No one can prohibit SSC members to use word d o w n t o w n regardless of whether it is someone's trademark or not. It is pathetic.
I think it has to do with it being April Fool's Day.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM   #597
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

I went on a random voyage this weekend. Flew to Long Island, then ferry over to Connecticut, drove up to Providence, Rhode Island, up to Boston, up to Portsmouth New Hampshire and up to Maine, over to Battleboro Vermont, then down through Hartford to Bridgeport and across on the ferry back to Long Island, New York.

Rhode Island and Mass. roads were pretty good, I was VERY impressed with New Hampshire roads, and then when I got into Vermont they suddenly were just TERRIBLE. Back down in Connecticut the roads weren't too good or too bad. They were just so-so.

It was very interesting how every time I crossed a state line the roads instantly changed. Sometimes they were suddenly smooth, other times (like Vermont) it was like I'd driven onto a gravel road.

It really made me think of this thread though and how each state is in charge of their own roads. I couldn't possibly have made a definite decision on the quality of the USA's roads based on this trip - you really can't. Each state is totally different.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM   #598
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
I was VERY impressed with New Hampshire roads, and then when I got into Vermont they suddenly were just TERRIBLE. Back down in Connecticut the roads weren't too good or too bad. They were just so-so.
Having grown up in Maine I certainly agree that NH roads are in quite good shape and always were, at least during my lifetime. The rest of New England is generally OK- there are some very annoying things about the New England road system- but it would take me a few hours to discuss that!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM   #599
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

First off, every country has its places where the roads are in bad condition. And second, quit generalizing. Honolulu, Hawaii is apart of the U.S. and it has some of the best maintain roads in the world. How so? Honolulu falls under the category of island-cities like Hong Kong and Singapore and since its a city within in Island, its much easier to maintain the environment and road ways unlike other cities like LA where isn't compact but wildly spread apart.

icracked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:12 AM   #600
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 15988

Does Hawaii have only one major highway on Oahu or all over the islands as well?
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban