daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #6001
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

$65m seems incredibly cheap.

I wonder if the new Interstate will end at I-435 or be cosigned to a junction with one of the mainline Interstates.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #6002
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Freeway interchange Chandler Arizona (Loop 202 and Price Fwy)

image hosted on flickr
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #6003
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

That is pretty sweet, looks like they paid lots of detail into aesthetics.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #6004
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yeah, what can you make out of sand and concrete?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #6005
ManRegio
A darle átomos.

Likes (Received): 3071

A lot of space wasted. Why don't they built a Regular Stack?. It would have been less massive and with the same or superior results.
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #6006
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRegio View Post
A lot of space wasted. Why don't they built a Regular Stack?. It would have been less massive and with the same or superior results.
I don't think space is an issue in Arizona
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #6007
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
State predicts gates at virtually all I-94 on-ramps in 6-10 years
You could soon see more gates at freeway on-ramps as the state tries to keep drivers safe during emergencies.
Reporter:
Andrew Fefer

While he only uses I-94 two or three times a month, David Stratton says he's familiar with the reason why crews put in gates at the on-ramp from State Highway 93 a few years ago.
“South Dakota, North Dakota have had that for a long time, and that just makes all the sense in the world,” he said. Now he's looking forward to the construction of more like it.
“Often times this does relate to weather, when we have our heavy snows and stuff,” said Lieutenant Jeff Lorentz of the Wisconsin State Patrol. He says the state will putting four of them at the U.S. Highway 53 interchange next year.
“It's our most complicated interchange that we have, and typically to close that interchange, it takes six officers,” he said.
Then he hopes more go up in metro areas, and at interchanges that road crews work on.
“If we can reduce the traffic flow whether its a haz-mat incident, or again, a traffic accident, or even an emergency medical situation, it only enhances the life safety,” said Deputy Chief Lyle Koerner of the Eau Claire Fire Department.
The DOT says the new gates would have an arm that comes down, similar to what you would see at a railroad crossing. They're not automated, and Lorentz says they're worth the $9,000 to $14,000 estimate the state says it will pay for each gate.
“The payback is very short-term,” Lt. Lorentz said. “Less than five years, probably in three years is when we'll pay back in the labor use alone.”
“I don't know if I'd really agree with that, but I guess they'll do what they want with their money,” Keelan Gilbertson said. “Whatever our opinions are, they'll still do what they want to do.”
David says the price doesn't give him sticker-shock.
“Right now, of course, we're all trying to save money, but sometimes we have to just bite the bullet and go ahead.”
Even though it is a measure designed to keep freeway drivers from "going ahead" once in a while.
The DOT says it's also starting to plan for surveillance cameras and electronic signs to tell drivers about changing conditions between Baldwin and Black River Falls. It hasn't released exactly where they would go, when they'd be installed, or how much all that would cost.

Find this article at:
http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/1...ySection=story

Last edited by brewerfan386; August 26th, 2010 at 06:42 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #6008
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

WisDOT installed these blizzard gates at several US 41 interchanges here in Appleton earlier this year, too.

Yes, I can see why they'd be a long-term better deal than the barricades that I often see stored at various freeway on-ramps, and especially for those interchanges where they are not (each ramp in the latter case needs to tie up at least one police car for the duration for such 'short notice' closures).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #6009
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

WisDOT installed these blizzard gates at several US 41 interchanges here in Appleton earlier this year, too.

Yes, I can see why they'd be a long-term better deal than the barricades that I often see stored at various freeway on-ramps, and especially for those interchanges where they are not (each ramp in the latter case needs to tie up at least one police car for the duration for such 'short notice' closures).

Mike
I always wondered what those were. I've never seen any in Illinois.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #6010
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Quote:
I'm not from the USA but looking GE I can see that a lot of the bigger cities in USA have this problem. Large empty patches of land where used to be homes right next to Downtown...
Quote:
But you need someone who wants to live in these dense neighborhoods close to downtowns. Most people simply prefer large house with garden than small condo in multistory building. Do you want to force people to live there?
I'm not trying to intentionally derail this thread, I came here to look for any news on I-49.

But I can't leave this alone.

First off, how big is Atlanta, or Houston, or Dallas? Between 4-5 million people.

Lets make a conservative estimate, that most of the population still wanted to live in the suburbs. But then what if even 1% of the population, perhaps currently living in garden apartment complexes, would be willing to trade in for an urban lifestyle. That would give you between 40,000 and 50,000 people. That may be students, the elderly, gays, singles, who knows, who just want an apartment near things and don't want to worry about a yard, etc.

In the US, maybe an option for revitalizing cities would not be to recreate Manhattan, but look to the outer boroughs of New York or parts of Chicago for inspiration. A mix of closely spaced semi or detached homes and small 3-4 story apartments, with major streets lined with a little larger buildings that have shops and things on the bottom and the occasional midrise. Maybe this is not dense or even urban by European or even Northeastern US standards, but in a sunbelt city it would be something completely different.

Looking at the density of existing places which take this form, it seems like you'd have a density of maybe 10,000 people per square mile. So with 40 to 50k people, that would be about 4 to 5 square miles.

That is not a very large area at all. But go back to Google Earth and measure the size of the downtown adjacent dead zones in a place like Atlanta. I believe it would be completely feasible for the city to infill this space with new housing. What would the benefits be? It would make the city as a whole more attractive, it would dilute the presence of poverty, people who had a stake in a neighborhood would be more vigilant for crime, etc.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #6011
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

I-494 and MN-5 (Airport Interchange) in Bloomington, Minnesota; Mall of America is in the background.
image hosted on flickr

(courtesy of "MSPdude". link)
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #6012
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
$65m seems incredibly cheap.

I wonder if the new Interstate will end at I-435 or be cosigned to a junction with one of the mainline Interstates.
Bella Vista? Is that a city? I've never heard of it.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #6013
ttownfeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRegio View Post
I think a four-level stack would be unnecessarily more expensive where a three-level stack would be sufficient.
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #6014
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 192

I-270 South going from Frederick towards Urbana Maryland.
cc: Myself
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #6015
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

I took sum Interstate shots today in Jersey City , and Manhattan

I-78 Holland Tunnel Approach in Manhattan

image hosted on flickr

Canal Street Entrance

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Jersey City Holland Tunnel Exit with New Welcome sigh in Newport JC

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Holland Tunnel Portal & Toll gate

image hosted on flickr

Jersey City Skyway / I-78 Liberty state Park in JC

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #6016
ttownfeen

NPR special series: "I-95: The Road Most Travelled"

This is a special series of news reports about Interstate 95 from NPR. It runs through Labor Day.

Quote:
Interstate 95 may be one of the least romantic roads ever built. But what it lacks in beauty, it makes up for in utility. How has this asphalt Amazon transformed the economy of the Eastern Seaboard?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129278775
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #6017
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Atlanta has the eggs-in-one-basket policy, where there's only one freeway - for long distance through and local traffic, heading North-South.

Parallel freeways would help the traffic, but there's nothing stopping a decent transit line/system being built (as well preferably) to take some of the internal city traffic off the freeway 'network' (in quotes as it's not really a net - just a couple of spokes that diverge and a loop or two).
Well, there is 285.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #6018
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

(I am assuming that those two above maps are of the same scale)
Also note how the Frankfort-Main area is far, far more densely developed than the Atlanta area - nearly the entire land area on the above map of metro Atlanta is built out with very-low density style development while that map of Frankfort-Main still includes oodles of rural farmland.

Besides that spread-out low density development within the metro area, I-75/85 in central Atlanta is so wide and carries so much traffic because a freeway that was planned to parallel that one to the east (it was to connect I-675 with GA 400) was never built.

Also, why is transit such an insignificant part of the metro Atlanta transport scene? Atlanta has a heavy-rail transit system ('MARTA') - BUT - Metro Atlanta has about the worst city vs. suburb political divide of any of the metros anywhere in the USA. Why don't the suburbanites want MARTA rail service? BECAUSE IT SERVES THE CITY OF ATLANTA! Seriously! (I'd tell you a commonly-used wording for the acronym 'MARTA', which means 'Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority', but I'll not to avoid being banned from SSC.)

Mike
Being politically correct, much of the Southern USA cities like Atlanta and Birmingham have a setup like South Africa where the Whites with the majority of money live in one area and the blacks that are socio-economically worse off live in another and up until the last 15-20 years ago, didn't mix with each other in the sense of neighborhoods.

Luckily in both cases, gentrification is taking hold in the Urban areas and in the Suburbs, it's becoming more and more racially mixed.

When it comes to urban comparisons, the Southern USA and South Africa do share many parallels(though thank God that for all that the Jim Crow era was, it never got close to being Apartheid-oppressive).
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #6019
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1330

Portland, OR
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:18 AM   #6020
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
I-494 and MN-5 (Airport Interchange) in Bloomington, Minnesota; Mall of America is in the background.
image hosted on flickr

(courtesy of "MSPdude". link)
Nice pic.

I-494 from Route 100 to the airport is a mess for a large % of the day. Almost every time going down it when in the area in the summer, I was in a traffic jam.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban