daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM   #6101
strandeed

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It should be noted impact force (kinetic energy) with heavier vehicles is bigger, and SUV's and pickup trucks are prone to tipping over.
Indeed bigger does not always equal safer, but according to euro NCAP, the larger vehicles almost always perform better in accidents.

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...1-07b99c8f62c4

Until fairly recently (circa 2000) you were probably better off in a larger car before the widespread use of boron steel and side impact/roof crush safety standard were implemented.
strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #6102
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandeed View Post
Purely down to the lack of driver training IMO...

US roads are some of the best engineered, widest (inner and outer shoulders) and straightest in the world.
I have no intention of doing the statistical legwork to back this up, but about twelve years I read a study that found that routine widening and straightening of roads for safety purposes didn't equate to safer roads. The reason was that eliminating marginal hazards simply increased driver complacency, leading to a compensatory increase in accidents at other less- or non-substandard sections of roadway. In fact, the reduction in injuries and fatalities was found to be less that the effects that could be reasonably attributed to non-roadway factors such as safer vehicles and better emergency medical care. In other words, so-called safety improvements may have actually made roads less safe, though the difference was very small.

Oddly, this study of American experience was done by a British team. I assume that consideration was being given to systematically upgrading British two-lane roads in the same way that the US has done, and the Brits wisely decided to try to find out if it was really worth doing.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #6103
strandeed

Likes (Received): 108

sounds more like a UK government study to try and justify the lack of investment in vital motorway infrastructure upgrades.

Are you at all familiar with the UK road network?
strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #6104
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandeed View Post
Indeed bigger does not always equal safer, but according to euro NCAP, the larger vehicles almost always perform better in accidents.

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...1-07b99c8f62c4

Until fairly recently (circa 2000) you were probably better off in a larger car before the widespread use of boron steel and side impact/roof crush safety standard were implemented.
Probably performs better at the expense of the object it's hitting haha
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6105
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
I don't think so, its only used by 2 countries in the northern hemisphere......

You've got to be realistic and accept that in the real world, everyone uses the SI units of measurement. All your Exports to Europe are required to be labeled in Metric Units only.

I have no idea why you're against going metric. Yes, it takes effort but look at other countries that switched - they had no problems, did they? For example, Ireland went metric in 2005 from MPH to Km/h without any serious issues.
"The real world"?
What I have no idea about is why it bothers you. I don't get the uniformity fetish. We use the measurement system we're used to. And we (mostly) don't give a damn about soccer, either. Why is this a problem?

nick.english.dept liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #6106
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

+1 (A little cultural variety here and there is NEVER a bad thing.)
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Future I-74 Construction in North Carolina

(all are courtesy of Link)

Last edited by brewerfan386; September 28th, 2010 at 01:36 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #6107
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
"The real world"?
What I have no idea about is why it bothers you. I don't get the uniformity fetish. We use the measurement system we're used to. And we (mostly) don't give a damn about soccer, either. Why is this a problem?
I apologize for jumping in the middle of this conversation, but there is no room for "quaintness" in business. Uniformity mean efficiency and efficiency means more profits.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #6108
brewerfan386

What does Wall Street have to do with this particular SSC argument?
Anyway, aren't we repetitively

with the whole metrication debate at this point?
BTW, Did anyone notice the different construction methods we use compared to Europe (pics posted above)?

Last edited by brewerfan386; September 28th, 2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #6109
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
BTW, Did anyone notice the different construction methods we use compared to Europe (pics posted above)?
Yes, you should clearly switch to the superior way of building roads too

Edit: To be on topic, why does the road look so "uneven"?
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #6110
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Yes, you should clearly switch to the superior way of building roads too

Edit: To be on topic, why does the road look so "uneven"?
partly all the dirt on it
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #6111
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Not all American roads are like that. Ohio actually has smooth roads. Smooth like ze autobahn.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #6112
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:

What does Wall Street have to do with this particular SSC argument?

with the whole metrication debate at this point?
No, what is different than what's done in Europe?
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #6113
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

They put different markers and colors on their roads?
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #6114
brewerfan386

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
No, what is different than what's done in Europe?
Just a few things that stand out to me: No asphalt on the bridge decks, precast or steel girders instead of cast in-place methods for over/ under passes and most smaller water crossings, crash absorbers at the end of guardrail sections, large interior shoulders, big grassy median, no vertical curbs, etc.

Last edited by brewerfan386; September 29th, 2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #6115
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Just a few things that stand out to me: No asphalt on the bridge decks, precast or steel girders instead of cast in-place methods for over/ under passes and most smaller water crossings, crash absorbers at the end of guardrail sections, large interior shoulders, big grassy median, no vertical curbs, etc.
Also, tighter turning radius, much less consistent superelevation, inconsistent placement of crash barriers, and, depending on the state, poorer drainage on the pavement due to the use of dense-graded asphalt. Although I recall that some sections of the Autobahn uses dense-graded asphalt for durability, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
"The real world"?
Because the metric system is the better system. "We're used to it" is a kindergarten excuse that disregards the benefits of the metric system.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #6116
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #6117
brewerfan386

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Also, tighter turning radius, much less consistent super-elevation, inconsistent placement of crash barriers, and, depending on the state, poorer drainage on the pavement due to the use of dense-graded asphalt. Although I recall that some sections of the Autobahn uses dense-graded asphalt for durability, no?
From what I understand the United States doesn't really use that water absorbing (porous) blacktop that's common in parts of Europe and Japan. Also guardrails are generally only used where the destruction of the vehicle is preferred/ safer then the auto going off the road.
EDIT, Paddington: lol

Last edited by brewerfan386; September 29th, 2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #6118
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Because the metric system is the better system. "We're used to it" is a kindergarten excuse that disregards the benefits of the metric system.
It's been 40 years since I was in kindergarten (actually Montessori school). There are ways to disagree with people without being rude about it.

That said, if we were starting a country from scratch, yes, go with metric. But we're not. The supposed benefits of it relative to the traditional system do not, in my opinion - if I may be permitted to have one - outweigh the inconvenience and expense of changing. And it is embedded in the culture and the language. But my real point is that this is a decision for Americans to make. Non-Americans demanding that we conform to the metric system (or that we give up our own sports for soccer*), or non-British demanding that the British start driving on the right**, are out of line. If having to learn the difference between miles and kilometers, or fahrenheit and celsius, when they're here is such an imposition, they have the option of staying home. Heck, we manage it in the other direction.

*Yes, that happens. In fact, it had happened on another forum a short time before I read this thread. So non-Americans complaining about how we have the effrontery to not do everything exactly the way they do has become a pet peeve of mine.

**that's happened on this forum.

nick.english.dept liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #6119
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

I agree that people who it does not concern should basically ef off, but keep in mind there is a good amount of people in the States who do believe that metric is better and are for implementing it, so it's not just foreigners who try to stick their nose into our issues

As for sports, to each his own. I know a lot of people who don't care about American sports but watch the MLS and follow US National Team, I know people who care about both as well as people who don't give a crap about soccer. But times are changing and, especially amongst younger people, soccer is becoming more and more popular in this country. BUt that's OT anyway.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #6120
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
As a not-very-well-travelled American, I'm more cognizant of the differences between states, of which there are many. One semi-interesting observation about North Carolina: Of the southern states in which I've travelled most extensively, most started the freeway construction era building ramp terminals of the parallel design, then switched to the (IMO superior) taper type in the mid 60's. North Carolina did, too-- but switched back to parallel in (I think) the early '80's.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban