daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #6121
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
As a not-very-well-travelled American, I'm more cognizant of the differences between states, of which there are many. One semi-interesting observation about North Carolina: Of the southern states in which I've travelled most extensively, most started the freeway construction era building ramp terminals of the parallel design, then switched to the (IMO superior) taper type in the mid 60's. North Carolina did, too-- but switched back to parallel in (I think) the early '80's.
NC is also notable for the type of exit signage it uses: with clearly-separate exit tabs and large radii on their rounded corners. Florida and Virginia use this same set-up. In most other states, the exit tab is a clear part of the overall sign, even if it's just a tab. Then again, there are some states that use exit bars that cover the full width of the sign. Georgia did this on all its Series-D Font signs. Illinois also does this around the Chicago area.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6122
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
NC is also notable for the type of exit signage it uses: with clearly-separate exit tabs and large radii on their rounded corners. Florida and Virginia use this same set-up. In most other states, the exit tab is a clear part of the overall sign, even if it's just a tab. Then again, there are some states that use exit bars that cover the full width of the sign. Georgia did this on all its Series-D Font signs. Illinois also does this around the Chicago area.
Indeed. To my eye as a Georgian, NC signage seems more cobbled-together, even if it's up to date. Still, though, I prefer NC's approach in that regard. It's more interesting.

I'm too lazy to upload a pic, but this streetview of I-85 in southern NC shows what you're talking about. It also shows... NC likes to put a sign for the next exit on its overheads, even if the next exit is quite some distance away, in this case 1 3/4 miles. Georgia would never do that, preferring to display signs one at a time unless exits are closely spaced. Plus, while Georgia prefers to make all the signs on a given overhead the same height, while NC makes each of their signs only as large as it needs to be.

Another tidbit about this particular Interstate: In South Carolina I-85 is 2x3for I guess about half its length, but where two lanes were added in the median of an early-build section of Interstate, the left shoulders are very narrow. In NC, though, they're noticeably wider, not ten feet, but maybe enough to get a disabled car out of the traffic lanes. Points to NC on that.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #6123
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post

What does Wall Street have to do with this particular SSC argument?
Dude, there is more to profit than Wall Street. Our entire economy is market-based, where the main driving force is profit.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6124
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

The issue with metric is not entirely about adhering to tradition. There is something to be said about measurement systems that are easily divisible by four.

By the way is there a thread on here that directly deals with the issue of metrication in the US?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #6125
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Indeed. To my eye as a Georgian, NC signage seems more cobbled-together, even if it's up to date. Still, though, I prefer NC's approach in that regard. It's more interesting.

I'm too lazy to upload a pic, but this streetview of I-85 in southern NC shows what you're talking about. It also shows... NC likes to put a sign for the next exit on its overheads, even if the next exit is quite some distance away, in this case 1 3/4 miles. Georgia would never do that, preferring to display signs one at a time unless exits are closely spaced. Plus, while Georgia prefers to make all the signs on a given overhead the same height, while NC makes each of their signs only as large as it needs to be.

Another tidbit about this particular Interstate: In South Carolina I-85 is 2x3for I guess about half its length, but where two lanes were added in the median of an early-build section of Interstate, the left shoulders are very narrow. In NC, though, they're noticeably wider, not ten feet, but maybe enough to get a disabled car out of the traffic lanes. Points to NC on that.
You're absolutely right about signs indicating the next exit, most states don't do what NC does. The only other agency I can think of that puts signs for the next exit at the current exit regardless of distance is the Illinois Tollway. They will usually put up signs for the next two exits at one particular exit ramp, sometimes for ridiculously long distances on certain tollways due to the nature of some exit and entrance ramps being oriented toward Chicago. Here's an example on I-90EB in Hoffman Estates in the northwest suburbs. I've also noticed that the Tollway likes to use long, European/Asian-style lane-dividing lines instead of the standard length you see on most roads, even those maintained by IDOT.

Having all signs be the same height is something I find a little odd about Georgia. It's one of those things that stuck out along with the Series-D font. Personally, I think the standard most states have adopted tends to be that of Texas, Tennessee, Alabama, etc. Right-side exit tabs, signs of variable height (only use as much metal as needed to display information), and relatively-square corners.

As for shoulder width, there's a stretch of I-65 north of Birmingham between Arkadelphia and Warrior that was widened from 2x2 to 2x3 back in the mid to late 90's, and the left shoulders are only 4 ft wide with median barrier. IIRC, that's about the same time much of I-85 through SC was widened from 2x2 to 2x3. I know that current AASHTO interstate standards dictate that interstates with 3 adjacent lanes in one direction require a 10 ft left shoulder in addition to the 10 ft right shoulder. That change must be recent, unless those projects got exemptions.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #6126
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
+1 (A little cultural variety here and there is NEVER a bad thing.)
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Future I-74 Construction in North Carolina

Where is it?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #6127
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

My bad, here's a map of the 1st section of the US 311 bypass (future I-74).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT, Here is some more from that section.

^ This will be the temporary end of the new freeway until the next section is completed in 2012.

(all are courtesy of LINK)

Last edited by brewerfan386; September 30th, 2010 at 03:53 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #6128
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
As for shoulder width, there's a stretch of I-65 north of Birmingham between Arkadelphia and Warrior that was widened from 2x2 to 2x3 back in the mid to late 90's, and the left shoulders are only 4 ft wide with median barrier. IIRC, that's about the same time much of I-85 through SC was widened from 2x2 to 2x3. I know that current AASHTO interstate standards dictate that interstates with 3 adjacent lanes in one direction require a 10 ft left shoulder in addition to the 10 ft right shoulder. That change must be recent, unless those projects got exemptions.
Nah, it's been in place forever, since the '70's at the latest. But exemptions are handed out like Kleenexes.
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM   #6129
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Pennsylvania Turnpike turns 70 today

A happy birthday to the first intercity "Autobahn" of the United States! The Pennsylvania Turnpike turns 70 years today. On October the first, 1940, the first section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike opened between US 11 in Carlisle and US 30 in Irwin, after almost 2 years of construction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:24 PM   #6130
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Made with Kurumi's SignMaker.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM   #6131
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Pennsylvania Turnpike turns 70 today

A happy birthday to the first intercity "Autobahn" of the United States! The Pennsylvania Turnpike turns 70 years today. On October the first, 1940, the first section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike opened between US 11 in Carlisle and US 30 in Irwin, after almost 2 years of construction.
In my opinion the PA Turnpike is the worst Toll Highway system in the US. Narrow shoulders or none at all , too small. Tight curves , fast merging.... But then Again Penndot is a terrible agency....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:23 AM   #6132
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Yep. Worst highway to drive at night too. Too narrow, too winded...if you need to drive through PA to get to other states, you are better off taking I-80 instead. However the PA turnpike does deserve recognition in the respect that it was the first real long distance highway in the US.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:53 PM   #6133
Tom 958

It's a good excuse to read (or reread) a history of the Pennsylvania turnpike: http://www.pahighways.com/toll/PATurnpike.html

Pretty damn fascinating, IMO.
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #6134
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I went to Atlanta for the weekend, and I have to say, it is definitely one of the coolest roads I have ever driven:

Super high-res versions of these images coming soon to http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6135
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

San Jose-280/Hwy87 interchange

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie2645/with/3769452309/
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #6136
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Race Street, who doesn't want to live there?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #6137
Kreicherisch

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
^ rural stretches are def different.
if i were driving through s. carolina id prob drive over 100 too!!!!

i-5 in cali is (in)famous for being straight, empty and high-speed. ive seen many, many people going over 100, tho i myself dont ever really go above 85-90 - too much stress on the car and gas mileage starts going down.
I myself drove at 80 mph on I-5 in California Central Valley.
Kreicherisch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #6138
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I went to Atlanta for the weekend, and I have to say, it is definitely one of the coolest roads I have ever driven:
Thanks for the pics, since I'm too lazy to take them myself. I generally hate it when people quote entire photo post, but now I'm doing it myself. This first shot is a good illustration of Georgia's bizarre compressed signage font:

This is the new font, which looks like it was designed by a kindergartner. It's more readable and less bizarre than the compressed font, but... WHY NOT [email protected]#$%^&CLEARVIEW????
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #6139
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

That must be the only place which still uses Highway Gothic for new signs. I have warmed up to Clearview.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #6140
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I went to Atlanta for the weekend, and I have to say, it is definitely one of the coolest roads I have ever driven.
Yeah, definitely

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban