daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #6161
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Seattle Mixmaster Interchange I-90/I-5

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rutlo/

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #6162
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Must be taken from the 12th Ave S bridge.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #6163
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
2 designs remain for new Tappan Zee Bridge

By Khurram Saeed • [email protected] • October 16, 2010

plan 3

plan 5

NEW CITY — There still isn't any money to replace the aging Tappan Zee Bridge but there are now two final designs for what the new bridge might look like.

One is a single-level span that would have room for trains to run in the middle, with bus lanes on either side of the tracks, and car and trucks traveling in the outer lanes (Plan 3 above).

The second design is a dual-level bridge (Plan 5, above). Trains would run underneath the north span. Vehicle traffic would be on the top level, with two dedicated bus lanes in the center. Because it would have fewer support structures than the single-level span, 66 compared with 118, it would take less time to construct.

Michael Anderson, leader of the Tappan Zee Bridge/Interstate 287 Corridor Project, unveiled the recommendations Friday in New City. He said the two designs were narrowed from six options by the project's consultants — Earth Tech/AECOM, AECOM and Ove Arup, all of Manhattan — because they had the shortest construction times, lowest costs to build and the least environmental impact to the Hudson River. They also offered the greatest transportation flexibility and provided the safest emergency access.
"We haven't made any hard and fast decisions," Anderson said. "We're going to take these recommendations into consideration as we advance the DEIS (draft environmental impact statement)."

A new span to replace the soon-to-be 55-year-old Tappan Zee Bridge is just one part of the $16 billion project. It also would add bus rapid transit from Suffern to Port Chester along 30 miles of Interstate 287 and would call for the construction of a new passenger rail line across Rockland, over the new bridge and into Westchester onto Metro-North Railroad's Hudson Line, ending at Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.

A new bridge with highway improvements in Rockland would cost $8.3 billion (the bridge alone is $6.4 billion); bus rapid transit would run $1 billion; and the rail line would cost $6.7 billion in 2012 dollars.

The two final bridge recommendations, as well as the transit and highway improvements that were unveiled Friday, will be analyzed in the environmental review, which is due to be finalized early next year.

The state Department of Transportation is the lead agency and is supported by the state Thruway Authority and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Metro-North Railroad.

During the 3 1/2-hour meeting, project officials also said they were continuing to work on financing for the project but had secured no firm commitments. Each of the bridge designs shares traits: four lanes in each direction; two dedicated bus lanes; safety shoulders; two railroad tracks (or the space to add them later); and a shared-use pedestrian and bicycle path on the north side of the span.

Anderson said in the case of the single-level span, where the train would run in its center, the tracks could be built at a later date in segmented sections at night, much like the ongoing deck replacement on the Tappan Zee Bridge.
The new bridge would be built about 400 feet north of the old one, and connect to the Thruway in the same places it does now.

The new bridge also would rise gradually to the midspan, unlike the current bridge, which features a steep grade to its highest point. That slope leads to many problems, Anderson said. "We have determined that heavy trucks coming up this 3 percent grade ... results in a reduction of speed by about 15 mph," he said. "That is not good for traffic flow and probably contributes to a number of accidents." It's also necessary to have a relatively flat grade in order for the trains to travel on the bridge.

Anderson spoke before more than 60 residents, politicians and transportation officials in New City at a meeting organized by Rockland County Legislature Chairwoman Harriet Cornell. She has held similar summits on the project for the past six years.

Philip Ferguson, the head of the project's finance team, reported that it was focusing on the first phase of the project, namely securing $8.3 billion for the new bridge and highway improvements. It was looking at both "traditional and innovative" financing options, and said that it would require multiple funding sources.

Martin Robins, a transportation consultant who is working with the Rockland Legislature, said the cancellation of the New York-New Jersey rail tunnel project due to cost overruns proves how "brittle" the financing of public works projects are today. "It just underscores the difficulty New York state DOT is having in 2010" in putting together a financing package, Robins said.

Old October 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #6164
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Build the quicker and cheaper design, the natural scenery is good enough on this bridge.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #6165
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

The BRT isn't really needed , The Rail line however is very needed. I just hope this new Rail / Highway project doesn't get killed by Religious groups in Rockland County....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #6166
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

I think that Tappan Zee Bridge news deserves it's own thread in the Bridge forum, I'm gonna create one now.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #6167
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I think that Tappan Zee Bridge news deserves it's own thread in the Bridge forum, I'm gonna create one now.
Excellent!
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #6168
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
More than anything else the one thing I like best when driving in the USA is the fact that the roads are designed to actually make driving a pleasurable experience!
Here in the UK roundabouts are famously over-used, especially as a short-sighted cost-cutting measure and IMO have very limited place on such roads like that Interstate. They may look all foreign and progressive? but trust me, before you know it they're overused and you resent gravity pulling you from left to right again...and again...and...
Roundabouts are an amazingly safe and efficient tool as a replacement for traffic lights, stop/giveway signs, even up to medium use interchanges. The problem (and bad press) is when they are used in place of free flowing interchanges as often happens in the UK. Even the most ingenious design as roundabouts are have their limits. This design seems like a goosd use of them to me. The main lines are free flowing with roundabouts for access to the surrounding roads.
scotdaliney está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:21 AM   #6169
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Seattle Mixmaster Interchange I-90/I-5

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rutlo/
Nice pic!

Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners to the left, Qwest Field, home of the NFL Seahawks and soccer Sounders to the right. The highway system around the stadiums has been greatly improved in the past five years.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:41 AM   #6170
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Kilometers are for pussies.
That's sweet coming from a caveman. I would expect nothing less.

Last edited by Highwaycrazy; October 27th, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:10 AM   #6171
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
That's sweet coming from an American. I would expect nothing less.

P.S. Spelling: Kilometres !
I'm all for SI, but in USA, it is kilometers, just like center, color, honor, program. For some reason Webster when he wrote that dictionary decided not to retain the French spelling rules. Nothing against your spelling or anything, in retrospect it would have made more sense not to change it.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:13 PM   #6172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Traffic volumes of the busiest Interstate in the United States.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:22 PM   #6173
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Wow, 390000 vehicles per day between CA-22 and I-605. I count there 12 lanes+2 HOV lanes. Considering that M-30 east in Madrid has 284000 vehicles per day and 14 lanes, that should have at least 20 lanes!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #6174
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The George Washington Bridge (I-95) between Fort Lee, NJ en New York, NY, turns 79 years today!

Old October 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #6175
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

^ LOL for the most populated County , my County is very green...

Some NJ Turnpike Pictures i took yesterday...

Exit 15X

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Heading back in the evening...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

NJ Turnpike Eastern Spur North

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #6176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 80 west of Laramie, Wyoming has its first road closure of the 2010-2011 winter season;

Old October 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #6177
LTomi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
image hosted on flickr
The arrows on these traffic signs look weird. I don't think they fit the MUTCD standards.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #6178
sotonsi

and since when has I-80 reached New York? It officially ends on I-95, rather than crossing over to Manhattan.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #6179
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I believe the intention is to let it begin at the NJ/NY state line, have a concurrency for a short length and then I-80 and I-95 split. Just to make a proper San Francisco - New York City route. It just sounds better than San Francisco - Fort Lee.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #6180
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTomi View Post
The arrows on these traffic signs look weird. I don't think they fit the MUTCD standards.
NJ Turnpike gets to do what it wants to, since it's self-sustaining.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban