daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM   #601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin View Post
Does Hawaii have only one major highway on Oahu or all over the islands as well?
Hawaii has 4 interstates, with the prefix H.

H1 Honolulu - Makakilo City
H2 Pearl City - Wahiawa
H3 Aiea - Kailua/Kane'ohe
H201 Int'l Airport bypass

Those are all on the island of Oahu, other islands doesn't have roads with motorway standards.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:34 PM   #602
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Hawaii has 4 interstates, with the prefix H.

H1 Honolulu - Makakilo City
H2 Pearl City - Wahiawa
H3 Aiea - Kailua/Kane'ohe
H201 Int'l Airport bypass

Those are all on the island of Oahu, other islands doesn't have roads with motorway standards.
What do you mean by "motorway standard"? The other island have great road ways such as many vast highway systems but they aren't populated enough so they don't have their own interstate.

The only island that doesn't really have a traffic light/road signs is Molokai, other than that all the other islands including of course Oahu, has some of the best-highly modern roads in the world.
icracked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:44 PM   #603
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Motorway standard- you know, high-speed, limited access, shoulders, large signs, gentle curves....what's being discussed here.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #604
smartlake

Likes (Received): 0

I think that rebuilding the current structure is best. I say this because there are a dozen other major projects in Washington that are already "ready" so to speak (compared to the viaduct, where no decision has been made...and probably won't be made for another 4 years).
smartlake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #605
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Motorway standard- you know, high-speed, limited access, shoulders, large signs, gentle curves....what's being discussed here.
Then yes, the other island does have motorway standard except for one island, Molokai. Hope that clears up the confusion around here.
icracked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #606
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

The problem with Seattle is that they always seem to down-size projects with little understanding that the population here will continue to grow. Example: Hwy 520 (north floating bridge across Lake Washington), was built for early 1960's population and no forward thinking of increased population. Now, the replacement is being planned at the same early 60's capacity! Just doesn't make sense. I understand there are problems with the neighborhoods around the road, but why not build for the future, not the past? The new 520 and the new Alaska Viaduct need to be built for INCREASED capacity, not current capacity. Nobody can seem to get this done, but from a realistic, sensible standpoint, I truely believe this is the way to proceed.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What other island? There are more.

My RandMcNally 2006 Road Atlas only gives motorway-standard (interstate) roads for the island of Oahu. But there are some multi lane highways on Maui en Hawaii though.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #608
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

The big problem with today's American freeways is not road quality, but rather shitty drivers from the suburbs.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #609
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
The big problem with today's American freeways is not road quality, but rather shitty drivers from the suburbs.
Oh yeah. The road quality is definitely not the major problem with the American traffic system today. Sometimes I really wonder how come Americans, who always form perfect lines in stores and who are very friendly in person, behave so ignorantly and egoistically behind the wheel? I guess most of it has to do with poor driving training or the complete lack of thereof. I don't think that parents teaching kids how to drive can be considered a proper driving education because most of adults are not good drivers themselves
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #610
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

A lot of it is culture as well. All Americans (except maybe someone growing up in NYC or Chicago or a dense area) are pretty much born thinking that when you turn 16 you get your personal car. It's just what you do, like getting a job. We spend SO much of our lives in cars, everyone develops very confident driving skills, regardless of how good they actually are.

When I meet people they would never ask me if I own a car, they ask me what kind of car I have. When I said I gave it up 3 years ago people either look at me really weird or go "oh wow, that's awesome, I could never do that".

I don't think Americans are really BAD drivers, we just function on a level where almost everyone in our country drives around every day, you just get so use to so it's not something you focus on as being serious at all or a special activity. People are just indifferent to driving, it's as if 100% of the people in the country drive around every day of their lives.

I find in Europe a lot of Americans have a stressful time walking through really dense busy packs of rush hour pedestrians in large cities. We are, as a society, not use to walking around in large groups. I see lots of tourists in NYC who really piss me off because they totally have no clue about the culture of pedestrian street traffic. Blocking streets, all walking side by side, walking slow, running into people.

Put those same people behind the wheel and they might do stupid things, but they would be very comfortable, to the point of seeming to be very "bad drivers".
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #611
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Some good observations. Most Americans are polite in person, but get them behind the wheel and all bets are off. Perhaps the fact that the U.S. is still a relatively young country compared to most Europeon countries has something to do with it. I also believe there are certain stresses involved in the U.S. culture that cause many American drivers to release this tension with bad, and rude driving in the anonymity of their automobiles.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #612
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Some good observations. Most Americans are polite in person, but get them behind the wheel and all bets are off. Perhaps the fact that the U.S. is still a relatively young country compared to most Europeon countries has something to do with it. I also believe there are certain stresses involved in the U.S. culture that cause many American drivers to release this tension with bad, and rude driving in the anonymity of their automobiles.
What does the US being a young country compared to Europe have anything to do with it... lol that's soooo random

I think America also sports a go getter culture, and when people dont get where they want at their speed, they get impatient and start cutting people off everywhere... sometimes these drivers are soo irresponsible.

Anyway, it also arises out of a necessity for cars, regardless of driver skill or desire to drive, nearly everyone has to drive, whether they want to or not, because of necessity, this brings people that are not the best drivers, or those that dont even want to drive, etc. into the roadways.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #613
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In Europe, it's quite rare to have a car when you are 18. I had one when i was 18, but i was one of the few. Most student's can't afford a car, since owning and driving one in Europe is multiple times more expensive than in the US.
Most people don't buy a car unless they've got a well paid or fulltime job.
Old April 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #614
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
I see lots of tourists in NYC who really piss me off because they totally have no clue about the culture of pedestrian street traffic. Blocking streets, all walking side by side, walking slow, running into people.
Maybe they're from small cities or rural towns where they don't have to contend with large crowds on the streets, that's if they walk at all.
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #615
Chicagoago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc View Post
Maybe they're from small cities or rural towns where they don't have to contend with large crowds on the streets, that's if they walk at all.
Exactly, other than the downtown areas of our largest cities, most Americans aren't walking around in crowds on any given day. People leave their house, drive to work, walk into the building and work, and then go home after work. Sure there are people in stores, but there isn't the highly developed culture of how to quickly more around in large crowds on the street like in NYC or downtown Chicago (or Europe). It's the same when tourists try and use the subway, they just don't understand the small random acts you do on public transit to make it run more efficiently.

Most people driving around dont' WANT to be driving, they have to to get from point A to point B. Lots of time if you're running late or there's traffic, people get fussy and act stupid. Like waiting for a subway in London when they're running on a delay, people get pissy.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #616
sprtsluvr8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Oh yeah. The road quality is definitely not the major problem with the American traffic system today. Sometimes I really wonder how come Americans, who always form perfect lines in stores and who are very friendly in person, behave so ignorantly and egoistically behind the wheel? I guess most of it has to do with poor driving training or the complete lack of thereof. I don't think that parents teaching kids how to drive can be considered a proper driving education because most of adults are not good drivers themselves
How ironic...such an ignorant and egotistical generalization about "Americans behaving ignorantly and egotistically". I lived in Europe for a year and until then I had never seen such reckless, carefree driving in my life. I'm not saying European drivers are maniacs because I wouldn't make such a sweeping, misguided statement. But I would say that traffic overall was a nightmare compared to traffic in the U.S. I guess it depends on what one is accustomed to...
sprtsluvr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #617
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

honestly, I think Americans in general are not bad drivers, but a larger proportion of them are selfish *******s who think they own the road.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #618
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8
I would say that traffic overall was a nightmare compared to traffic in the U.S.
Yeah, driving in Europe is not for everyone. You have to be constantly aware of your surrounding and use your brain in planning the next maneuvre. Otherwise, it will be a nightmare. I agree.

The biggest difference between American and European drivers is that the latter don't think they own the road and don't mind if you want to drive faster than them.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #619
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Increasing capacity simply increases unnecessary traffic.

I found this quote from a siegel article on ssp:

"Manhattan's West Side Highway, an elevated freeway along the Hudson River, collapsed and was closed in 1973. When it was closed, 53 percent of the traffic that had used this freeway simply disappeared. The political establishment took it for granted that they had to replace it with a bigger and better freeway, but citizen resistance delayed the replacement for two decades, and finally even the politicians saw that the city was getting along quite well without any freeway here. Instead of replacing the freeway, the city simply added new medians, a waterfront park, and a bicycle path to the surface street here."

It's a phenomenon called "disappearing traffic" when freeways are torn down. EVERYBODY expects crazy traffic jams, but in reality the opposite happens. Why? Because people's driving habits change. Everybody assumes that driving habits will remain the same before and after the viaduct.

We're not going to have a viaduct for 10 years anyway while we tear it down/rebuild it; people are going to realize that the city's doing just fine without one as people adjust to the new environment. Just tear it down for pete's sake!!
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #620
Chicagoago

who DOESN'T love road rage!!!

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban