daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #6181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Purple signs on the Westpark tollway in Houston also do not seem to be up to MUTCD standards!
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #6182
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTomi View Post
The arrows on these traffic signs look weird. I don't think they fit the MUTCD standards.
Who cares , there just signs......as long as people can read them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
and since when has I-80 reached New York? It officially ends on I-95, rather than crossing over to Manhattan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe the intention is to let it begin at the NJ/NY state line, have a concurrency for a short length and then I-80 and I-95 split. Just to make a proper San Francisco - New York City route. It just sounds better than San Francisco - Fort Lee.
I-80 ends / Begins in Teaneck,NJ.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
NJ Turnpike gets to do what it wants to, since it's self-sustaining.
NJ gets away with alot of things the feds wouldn't approve of.......
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6183
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Epic view:
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #6184
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Epic view:
Looks like the setting of one scene in the first Transformer movie.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #6185
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Epic view:
110 at the 105?
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #6186
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
110 at the 105?
Yea. It's one of the most *AWESOME* interchanges in the entire USA.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #6187
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Isn't it the highest?
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #6188
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
I believe the intention is to let it begin at the NJ/NY state line, have a concurrency for a short length and then I-80 and I-95 split. Just to make a proper San Francisco - New York City route. It just sounds better than San Francisco - Fort Lee.
I grew up in North Jersey, and have heard enough traffic reporters over the years talk about "80/95" - also seen it on older maps - that I thought until recently that there was a concurrency. I thought 80 westbound started not at the state line, but at the point where 95, US 1/9 and NJ 4 diverge. To be fair, I'm guessing 80 shows up on the signs, westbound, starting there, or really starting on the bridge as people start to choose among those roads which way they're going....

EDIT: AARoads pix:

This one would imply that 80 starts where I thought it did - at that decision point:
http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...-080_et_16.jpg

This one (saying not "95 80" but "95 to 80") would imply that 80 starts at the separation from 95 in Teaneck:
http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...-080_et_04.jpg

Eastbound, it's clear:
http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...-080_et_18.jpg

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 27th, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #6189
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I grew up in North Jersey, and have heard enough traffic reporters over the years talk about "80/95" - also seen it on older maps - that I thought until recently that there was a concurrency. I thought 80 westbound started not at the state line, but at the point where 95, US 1/9 and NJ 4 diverge. To be fair, I'm guessing 80 shows up on the signs, westbound, starting there, or really starting on the bridge as people start to choose among those roads which way they're going....

EDIT: AARoads pix:

This one would imply that 80 starts where I thought it did - at that decision point:
http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...-080_et_16.jpg

This one (saying not "95 80" but "95 to 80") would imply that 80 starts at the separation from 95 in Teaneck:
http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...-080_et_04.jpg

Eastbound, it's clear:
http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...-080_et_18.jpg
Apparently i'm forbidden for accessing that file....
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #6190
Bill2

Likes (Received): 0

I drive 80 right to the very end at least a few times a week. The technical point where 80 officially ends is actually in South Hackensack.
Bill2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #6191
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
I drive 80 right to the very end at least a few times a week. The technical point where 80 officially ends is actually in South Hackensack.
No it ends in Teaneck,NJ.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #6192
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It depends on definition. Technically there are no incorporated communities directly around the I-80 / I-95 interchange. Leonia, Bogota and Ridgefield park are the closest boroughs, Englewood and Hackensack are the closest incorporated places.

I-80, however, is already signed at the first signs when you're coming from the George Washington Bridge, at the Palisades Parkway interchange in Fort Lee.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #6193
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
It depends on definition. Technically there are no incorporated communities directly around the I-80 / I-95 interchange. Leonia, Bogota and Ridgefield park are the closest boroughs, Englewood and Hackensack are the closest incorporated places.

Boroughs in New Jersey are incorporated; cities (which is the status Englewood and Hackensack have) are just more populous (usually) incorporated places. And in that part of the state, there's little difference between a township and an incorporated place. But that's a whole other area for me to be geeky about. :-/

EDIT:
As far as I can tell from various maps and my memory, that 80/95 interchange is on the border between Ridgefield Park (a village) and Teaneck (township). I believe, but can't confirm, that even though Teaneck's a township - which in less urban areas would imply a large rural entity without a well-defined center - it has the largest population in the county.

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 27th, 2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Couldn't resist another two minutes of geekiness.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #6194
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hmm, I thought communities that fall under the county are not incorporated by default. Is New Jersey different in this aspect than other states?

I always liked the name "Hackensack" by the way.
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #6195
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Hmm, I thought communities that fall under the county are not incorporated by default. Is New Jersey different in this aspect than other states?

I always liked the name "Hackensack" by the way.
You got me started!

Every state has its own structure, although there are a few basic types. In the Northeast and most of the Midwest, there is a complete layer of municipalities, like in those European countries I'm familiar with. But of two types. Towns or townships (the term depends on the state) are blocks of territory, with farmland, one or many or no small villages rather than an obvious population center.... They have little relation to population centers because they may have been laid out as the area was settled, before population centers appeared. The census, last time I looked, called these types of entities "county subdivisions."

"Incorporated places" - a generic term (which I think the census uses) that will cover cities, villages, boroughs, towns in states where that's not a township - are created where a concentrated center of population develops that's large enough to justify that sort of thing. (In New Jersey, incorporating a borough and separating it from the township it was in was historically a way to get sewers, sidewalks, streetlamps and so on into a populated area that needed them without increasing property taxes for the farmers who didn't need them and wouldn't get them....) In rural areas of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and the like, if you look at a county map, the difference between townships and incorporated places is obvious. In the most urban parts of New Jersey, like Bergen County, the distinction's become meaningless because incorporated places cover most of the territory and townships are just the bits left over after all those incorporations. And the townships are as urban or suburban as the surrounding areas.

In the south (from Maryland down) and west, the county subdivision (township....) doesn't exist (the census has created its own, for its own purposes) and local government in "unincorporated areas" does fall directly to the county, as you thought was the case.

But I've learned since my previous post that Hackensack is now the most populated place in Bergen County; Teaneck's second - it was the largest as late as 1990. Out of 70.
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #6196
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
(I'm not going to mince words the plan above looks like it was designed by a drunk British traffic engineering student. IMHO)
I agree! Probably designed by some retard british guy like Tony Hayward.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #6197
Nexis
Dark Wolf

On older Maps it goes to the GWB on newer maps and signs it ends in Teaneck.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:53 PM   #6198
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The great LBJ Express project, Dallas, TX:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

JohnFlint1985 liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM   #6199
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A cross section of Alternative 2 for the road improvement scheme on I-10 in Tempe, a suburb of Phoenix: 24 lanes

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:48 AM   #6200
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

ChrisZwolle: Those two projects are insane! The one in the video looks crazy expensive, and the second one would leave Highway 401 in the dust.

Does Phoenix (and it's metro area) really need 24 lanes? I heard it was the second most unsustainable major city in the USA (behind Los Angeles). The last thing it needs is considerable growth.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban