daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #6261
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I doubt it, in Europe the most aggressive driving style can be seen in the cities least built for the car (Rome, Palermo, Athens, Napels, etc.), while the tamest driving styles can be found in cities built for road traffic (Copenhagen, Berlin, Stockholm, etc.)
regarding Copenhagen and Stockholm.

Copenhagen has wide straight streets and avenues especially HC Andersen Blvd, the city is easy to drive in, but the drivers are more hotblooded than the ones in Stockholm, the pace in Cph is higher too.

Stockholm on the other hand is a more complicated city for driving, the innercity streets are narrower, large number of oneway streets, speedbumps, the old town is closed to motor-traffic, roadtolls (no such in Cph ??)

But despite this difficulties, the driving is rather lame.

I think it depends on the national-temper that is the blood of the drivers, not the city it self.

Last edited by Magnus Brage; December 4th, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #6262
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Go HD, go full-screen, and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrSGw7Mosic

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #6263
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

They need some sort of monument to announce the entrance into the Central Valley. Seriously...one second in you're in the mountains and then you turn a corner and it's the Promised Land as far as the eye can see!
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #6264
gigilamoroso

Likes (Received): 3

Well, instead of a monument they definitly need more enforcement : where the hell is the highway patrol? This seem to be a festival of waving, following too close, no turn signals california : the promise land for highway safety?
gigilamoroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #6265
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Well, certainly the fact that the fourth lane is closed during the most treacherous stretch of the downhill slope doesn't help. I think there should be at least two truck lanes...maybe they could even grade-separate the truck lanes.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #6266
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilamoroso View Post
Well, instead of a monument they definitly need more enforcement : where the hell is the highway patrol? This seem to be a festival of waving, following too close, no turn signals california : the promise land for highway safety?
I drove the pass in 2008 heading south to LA. Driving there is crazy. Downhill most people go well over the limit something like 80-90mph.
In general I think US speed limits are ludicrously low and strangely many people still obey them Here, where limit actually makes a lot of sense, everyone ignores it. It's probably due to being close to LA, where people drive fast and furious. Almost like Europeans
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #6267
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Gridlock in Atlanta...courtesy of Google.

[IMG]http://i53.************/dddmyp.jpg[/IMG]
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #6268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

That's hardly a gridlock, but just a traffic jam.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #6269
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Gravedig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
http://www.i85extension.com/index.htm

The I-85 extension to I-20 near Cuba (MS/AL state line) has been approved by AASHTO last month. They're currently working on the final EIS.
This project irritates the piss out of me. It's impossible for me to imagine that duplicating an existing 2x2 highway in this rather lightly travelled corridor is significantly preferable to simply constructing controlled access bypasses of Selma, Demopolis and maybe Uniontown/Faunsdale and throwing in a few superstreet-type crossings at any sites where safety is a problem. Use the money saved for similarly improving other corridors in the state, such as US 280, US 431, US 231 and US 72. That approach has worked well in Virginia.

I also like the idea of doing a new terrain freeway from Selma to I-65 at Prattville, FWIW.

Last edited by Tom 958; December 19th, 2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: complete change of topic
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #6270
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Quote:
That's hardly a gridlock, but just a traffic jam.
Either way, I wouldn't want to be in that.

Pretty much of all of the new Google coverage of I-75/85 in Downtown Atlanta is in a jam.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #6271
schweitzerdude

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
Looks like a computer chip or something
This nighttime pic of Chicago also illustrates the different street lighting in Chicago versus some of it's suburbs. If you go look west (left) of downtown Chicago, you will see a darker rectangle. This is Oak Park, which is just as densely populated as neighboring parts of Chicago, but has less bright street lights. Now look to the south of Oak Park, and you will see another rectangle, which is Berwyn, which also has less intense street lighting.
schweitzerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:57 AM   #6272
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadeer992 View Post
this is one of the photos that I could never forget
Where did you find this picture? Is any higher resolution available?
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM   #6273
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10231

It takes less than ten seconds to Google "Chicago night grid" in large size (search options on the left pane).

http://www.google.fr/images?q=chicag...I&ved=0CAcQpwU

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/3...7e6bbe04_o.jpg

Substructure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM   #6274
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Amazing video of the I-95 / I-495 southeastern part of the Washington Beltway.

Video works great at full-screen!
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6275
IRELAND

Likes (Received): 0

These videos have really good songs!
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #6276
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Amazing video of the I-95 / I-495 southeastern part of the Washington Beltway.
Video works great at full-screen!
What I find strange is that although speed limit is 55 and 65 (i.e. normal in US but slow for Europe) a lot of cars drive slower than the one with the camera. So either he drives too fast or so many people think even 55/65 is too fast.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6277
gigilamoroso

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
What I find strange is that although speed limit is 55 and 65 (i.e. normal in US but slow for Europe) a lot of cars drive slower than the one with the camera. So either he drives too fast or so many people think even 55/65 is too fast.
Well, I don't know why people say that speed limits are slow in the US compared with EU ones. Where the hell do you find in Europe rural 2X1 roads without any interchanges but at grade intersections with 70 or 75 mph speed limits? Nowhere whereas in western US states you can find that high speed limits. Everywhere in Europe 2x1 rural roads have 55 mph speed limits.

Besides people focus on the expressways. Well in urban areas in Europe, speed limits on the expressways are more or less at the same level that those on US urban freeways! Example Paris metro area : between the Paris 1rst ring road (péripherique) and the 2dn ring road speed limit on the freeways is 90 km/h=55 mph! between the 2nd ring road and the 3rd speed limit is 110 km/h=68 mph!

To finish with I'd say that, especially in western european countries, we do have enforcement of the speed limits whereas in the US enforcement is a mere joke, everybody speeds! Come on guys look at the highway safety statistics of western european countries and compare with the US ones you will find that the image of the US as a country where people drive safely is a mere myth! With speed cameras forbidden mostly evreywhere, sobriety checkpoints forbidden, no seat belt laws for passengers on the rear, or even no helmet laws for motorcycles on some states, what do you expect?
gigilamoroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6278
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I think the people who make these videos are more involved in traffic issues in general and probably think limits are too low. So, I think they're driving faster than the limit, but not reckless.

Quote:
Besides people focus on the expressways. Well in urban areas in Europe, speed limits on the expressways are more or less at the same level that those on US urban freeways! Example Paris metro area : between the Paris 1rst ring road (péripherique) and the 2dn ring road speed limit on the freeways is 90 km/h=55 mph! between the 2nd ring road and the 3rd speed limit is 110 km/h=68 mph!
On the other hand, speed limits in suburban areas of the US are still around 60 - 65 mph, while they are often 75 or 80 mph in Germany. Downtown speed limits are more or less the same in Europe and the US. The Amsterdam Ring Road is generally limited to 60 mph, but 50 mph in some sections. But the A2 or A3 through the Ruhr area are mostly limited to 80 mph.
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #6279
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilamoroso View Post
Well, I don't know why people say that speed limits are slow in the US compared with EU ones. Where the hell do you find in Europe rural 2X1 roads without any interchanges but at grade intersections with 70 or 75 mph speed limits? Nowhere whereas in western US states you can find that high speed limits. Everywhere in Europe 2x1 rural roads have 55 mph speed limits.

To finish with I'd say that, especially in western european countries, we do have enforcement of the speed limits whereas in the US enforcement is a mere joke, everybody speeds! Come on guys look at the highway safety statistics of western european countries and compare with the US ones you will find that the image of the US as a country where people drive safely is a mere myth! With speed cameras forbidden mostly evreywhere, sobriety checkpoints forbidden, no seat belt laws for passengers on the rear, or even no helmet laws for motorcycles on some states, what do you expect?
Lower speed limits in urban areas in US and in Europe make perfect sense. Also lower limits on most of 2X1 highways are perfectly justified.
One thing I dont's understand are low limits on US rural freeways.
Why only 70 or 75 mph in states like Iowa, Nebraska or Kansas with its dead straight interstates? I just don't get it. There could be easily 80 or 90mph limit or even no limit at all like on German motorways. I did drive in these states and I don't see any problems with its freeways, they are not worse than overrated German ones.
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #6280
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The 75 limits aren't the worst, how about all the 65 - 70 mph limits on rural freeways along the Eastern Seaboard or even Illinois or Wisconsin?

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban