daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:02 AM   #6381
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
A medium-low busy railway with 4 tph (trains per hour) per direction with 1.000 passengers each nearly equals in one hour a 2x2 motorway considering that most commuters travel alone, one in each car.

The example I love most is Milano-Seregno railway which carries around 35.000 passenger a day increasing from 13.000 without any new infrastructure - new capacity obtained much cheaper than any road widening.
This line serves a high commuter one of 20 in the Northeast , so its used by alot of people. So is 95 , which equally used by the same amount of commuters , but the 95 Daily usage has stayed flat. The Railway has risen , even without the future Penn Station connection , which i find interesting. The Feeder lines in CT have grown by 500-2,000 each but thats due to canceled Expressway projects like the Super 7 , No more Widenings on Route 8 and they Route 8 / Waterbury line TOD projects , TOD along Shore East has really added more ppl to the Rails. CT in recent years has come out with Desenification plans for all its cities and Railway corridor towns which will without a doubt add 10000s more to the Rail. There also building Rail connection services in all the larger towns , so people won't be tempted to drive to the stations instead taking Streetcars / Trams.... But this isn't limited to CT , Rhode Island and Massachusetts are doing the same.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:42 AM   #6382
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Ah, the uber-familiar plaint of the sprawl apologist. I've been told that far too many times to count, mostly by people with a vested interest in the status quo. Answer me this: if roads are irrelevant to the promotion of sprawl, then why are sprawl developers so interested and getting them built (as long as it's not at their expense)?
Sprawl is not necessarily good or bad in itself. It depends how it is managed. You get a whole train (pun intended) of unexpected (but foreseeable) consequences if you try to "tackle" sprawl like you'd tackle drugs, burglaries or illegal immigration:

- housing becomes more expensive per unit, let alone per built area

- retail space becomes more expensive, reducing competition and driving prices up

- families that don't bow to the "urban life" mantra, that'd rather have each child with its own bedroom and a private garden, start to outbid everybody else for the remaining single-house market, making single-houses (detached or not) a luxury

- in turn, this drive out lower income residents or greatly reduces their quality of housing. One of the most dark sides of "smart growth" is that is pushes low-income families into cramped apartments, or forces them to move out of a city that is "meant" not to be easily car-accessible. This push wages up - only to be spent with more expensive housing, feeding the loop

The greatest example of it: New York City. A city where median (far less distorted than average) income is 39% higher than median American household income, whilst the cost-of-living index was about 145-155 (100 being the national US average).

Seattle and Portland (particularly the latter) performed poorly: they became more expensive, more congested and with ever-increasing deficit-ridden transit systems (a financial unsustainable transit system will get "redder" - not "blacker" - when it is expanded and more services provided).

Quote:
Having said that, I really should give you a break. As a Dutchman, you've already seen one alternative for our future, and I can hardly blame you for not being impressed. Plenty of rail, even in combination with the Dutch enthusiasm for cycling and a degree of planning that the US will never come close to attaining, is not enough to yield a reasonably congestion-free transportation network, and it must be really irritating to hear people insist that it will.
Never underestimate the effect (mild) climate and a terrain that is COMPLETELY flat in 90% of the country has on this "cycling culture". Trains here, despite ubiquitous, will almost always yield SLOWER travel time than car - even with congestion - unless you live in close proximity (like 5 min walking) of some of its 240 train station - all of that in a country where 16,1 million people live in a land area the size of Maryland.

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that I'm "gleeful" about any of this? Waste of societal resources on a massive scale is cause for alarm, not glee. I'll also point out: overbuilding itself is sideways to the issue of spawl versus sustainability, caused by a vast oversupply of capital that led, as usual, to a bubble economy that was destined to collaspe catastrophically, as it always does. Developers of all stripes have lost their shirts.
Credit considerations aside, oversupply of construction can be easily offset (automatically) by less construction activity the years following a real estate bubble burst.
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #6383
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Here's my Big Dig pictures...

Zakim Bridge

image hosted on flickr

DSC03298 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03287 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03283 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03279 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03281 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03272 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Entrance to I-93 North form Essex Street

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0134 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0127 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03182 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03183 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Entrance to I-93 South form Essex Street

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0120 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0124 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03185 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03186 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

I-90 East / West Interchange Complex in South Boston

image hosted on flickr

DSC03170 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03171 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03168 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03162 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03164 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

I-90 East in Downtown / Back Bay Boston

image hosted on flickr

DSC03209 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03105 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03106 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03107 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03109 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03110 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Up Next > I-495 , I-90 , I-84 , I-684 , I-287 , I-87
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #6384
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Well I hope you're happy. All those "bad old developers" lost their shirts in the Financial Meltdown and will be down for the count for the foreseeable future.
Hopefully, local politics will be less corrupt as a result.

Quote:
I know developers(large and small), and they are good, honest people just like you and me. Is it so wrong that they want to buy up land, put down houses and stores, and make money from that?
Yes, when they do it in a wasteful manner with only instant profitability in mind, rather than long-term impact on the community and environment.

Quote:
We all want to make money, to be successful, to succeed. A lot of people have failed in the last 3 years and maybe that makes you happy that "developers" got hit the worst but I'm not gleeful about it at all.
Money is a means to an end, not the end itself. One of our biggest problems in American society is that we've confused the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Sprawl is not necessarily good or bad in itself. It depends how it is managed. You get a whole train (pun intended) of unexpected (but foreseeable) consequences if you try to "tackle" sprawl like you'd tackle drugs, burglaries or illegal immigration:

- housing becomes more expensive per unit, let alone per built area
Not an issue if wages are concurrently rising.

Quote:
- retail space becomes more expensive, reducing competition and driving prices up
Once again, not an issue if wages are rising.

Quote:
- families that don't bow to the "urban life" mantra, that'd rather have each child with its own bedroom and a private garden, start to outbid everybody else for the remaining single-house market, making single-houses (detached or not) a luxury
Seems like paying a premium to get precisely what one wants is exactly how the market is supposed to work.

Quote:
- in turn, this drive out lower income residents or greatly reduces their quality of housing. One of the most dark sides of "smart growth" is that is pushes low-income families into cramped apartments, or forces them to move out of a city that is "meant" not to be easily car-accessible. This push wages up - only to be spent with more expensive housing, feeding the loop
Higher wages are a good thing. Low prices are not necessarily so, such as when they come at the expense of domestic jobs.

Quote:
The greatest example of it: New York City. A city where median (far less distorted than average) income is 39% higher than median American household income, whilst the cost-of-living index was about 145-155 (100 being the national US average).

Seattle and Portland (particularly the latter) performed poorly: they became more expensive, more congested and with ever-increasing deficit-ridden transit systems (a financial unsustainable transit system will get "redder" - not "blacker" - when it is expanded and more services provided).
Prices rise in these places not because of any inherent defect in the smart growth strategies; it's because places that are built in such a way attract a high level of demand. New York is expensive because it's 8 million people living in a small area, and more are constantly moving in. The Pacific NW also falls into this category - there's high demand for its inherent amenities, especially among people with high incomes. That's just the market at work.

Quote:
Never underestimate the effect (mild) climate and a terrain that is COMPLETELY flat in 90% of the country has on this "cycling culture". Trains here, despite ubiquitous, will almost always yield SLOWER travel time than car - even with congestion - unless you live in close proximity (like 5 min walking) of some of its 240 train station - all of that in a country where 16,1 million people live in a land area the size of Maryland.
There are other reasons to prefer the train than speed. Safety, cost, driving stress, etc. all factor into what mode of transportation one takes. At least in most parts of the Netherlands, there is an option.

Quote:
Credit considerations aside, oversupply of construction can be easily offset (automatically) by less construction activity the years following a real estate bubble burst.
Which kills jobs, collapses housing prices, lowering wages, which lowers sales of other goods, which leads to more layoffs, etc. What you're describing is the deflationary spiral of an oversupply crisis. That was one of the things that made the Great Depression as bad as it was. That "offset" makes the problem worse!
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #6385
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Nice pics Nexis. Big Dig was very expensive, took forever, and had questionable management but the end product has been mostly good. No more aging overpasses all over downtown anymore and going through is less of a pain, it's a shame though with all the costs accrued, it doesn't look like other cities will be taking Boston's path anytime soon.

Zakim Bridge is pretty nice too, love it's design.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #6386
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3235

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
#1 rule for roads is that they'll always be congested. the NJT could be expanded to an ungodly 24 lanes and it would still be congested. this project is an embarrassment to NJ.
Exactly. There's something ridiculous like that in DT Atlanta. And...still congested.
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #6387
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Nice pics Nexis. Big Dig was very expensive, took forever, and had questionable management but the end product has been mostly good. No more aging overpasses all over downtown anymore and going through is less of a pain, it's a shame though with all the costs accrued, it doesn't look like other cities will be taking Boston's path anytime soon.

The poured-in-place box girder bridges and curved tubular sign supports look rather Californian, which is especially startling in the snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island
Exactly. There's something ridiculous like that in DT Atlanta. And...still congested.
Uh, no. It's ten basic lanes, two HOV's, and a number of auxilliary lanes varying from three to negative two. Big, but not ridiculous, especially for a city of that size.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #6388
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I-495 North in Mass

image hosted on flickr

DSC03334 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03335 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03336 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03337 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

I-290 West in Downtown Worcester

image hosted on flickr

DSC03338 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0182 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0183 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Worcester Union Station ... Serving MBTA Worcester line , Amtrak Lakeshore limited , future Amtrak High Speed Rail service , MBTA Woonsocket and New London lines& Future Worcester Streetcar network

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0184 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0185 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0186 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0187 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0188 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0189 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Skipping to I-90 West

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0192 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0193 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Exiting to I84 West

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0194 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0195 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

I-84 West Toll Gate

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0196 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0197 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0198 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0200 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0202 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Entering Connecticut

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0204 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Up Next > I-84 in CT and I-684 / 287
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #6389
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post

Uh, no. It's ten basic lanes, two HOV's, and a number of auxilliary lanes varying from three to negative two. Big, but not ridiculous, especially for a city of that size.
10 + how many?...And still congested.

Atlanta is the 4th worst ranked city for traffic (Forbes). Behind only sprawler DC, the SF Bay area, and Los Angeles metro. Traffic congestion eventually becomes a handicap in attracting businesses to a city. Not to mention how it's a definite quality of life consideration in the choice of metro areas in relocating. Being a suburban Long Islander, I would definitely concur with that.

Quote:
There is no shortage of hard data. A recent University of California at Berkeley study covering thirty California counties between 1973 and 1990 found that, for every 10 percent increase in roadway capacity, traffic increased 9 percent within four years' time. For anecdotal evidence, one need only look at commuting patterns in those cities with expensive new highway systems. USA Today published the following report on Atlanta: "For years, Atlanta tried to ward off traffic problems by building more miles of highways per capita than any other urban area except Kansas City ... As a result of the area's sprawl, Atlantans now drive an average of 35 miles a day, more than residents of any other city." This phenomenon, which is now well known to those members of the transportation industry who wish to acknowledge it, has come to be called induced traffic.

The mechanism at work behind induced traffic is elegantly explained by an aphorism gaining popularity among traffic engineers: "Trying to cure traffic congestion by adding more capacity is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." Increased traffic capacity makes longer commutes less burdensome, and as a result, people are willing to live farther and farther from their workplace.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ay-75-a-2.html

Last edited by Middle-Island; January 27th, 2011 at 01:37 AM.
Middle-Island está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #6390
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post

Atlanta is the 4th worst ranked city for traffic (Forbes). Behind only sprawler DC, the SF Bay area, and Los Angeles metro. Traffic congestion eventually becomes a handicap in attracting businesses to a city. Not to mention how it's a definite quality of life consideration in the choice of metro areas in relocating. Being a suburban Long Islander, I would definitely concur with that.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ay-75-a-2.html
Its rapidly changing to Dense DC.....you blink and sprawl is gone.....meanwhile on the NOVA side the same is happening.....and in Maryland. The population is also shifting....to along Transit corridors...
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #6391
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Heres I-84 West in CT

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0205 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Approaching Metro Hartford...entering the HOV lanes

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0207 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0209 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0210 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0213 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0214 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Downtown Hartford in the Distance

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0215 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0216 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0217 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0218 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0219 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

City of Hartford / West Hartford

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0221 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0222 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0223 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0224 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Downtown Hartford

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0226 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0228 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0229 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0230 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0233 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Skipping to Waterbury,CT

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0234 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0236 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Double Decker Interchange of I-84 / CT 8 in Waterbury

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0237 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Contuing West of I-84

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0239 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0240 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0248 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Crossing Lake Lillinoah

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0249 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Entering Newtown,CT

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0250 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0251 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0252 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0254 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0257 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

City of Danbury

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0259 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0261 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0265 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0267 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0268 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0269 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0273 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Entering NY state...

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0274 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #6392
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its rapidly changing to Dense DC.....you blink and sprawl is gone.....meanwhile on the NOVA side the same is happening.....and in Maryland. The population is also shifting....to along Transit corridors...
Do you ever check Google Earth? DC is massively sprawled.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #6393
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do you ever check Google Earth? DC is massively sprawled.
Yea , but the changeover is happening and fast. Form the core outwards.....in NOVA and Maryland its happening along the Transit corridors and outward.
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #6394
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Here is the rest of my journey....

I-84 West in NY...

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0275 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0277 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0278 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Exiting....

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0279 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0280 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

I-684 South

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0281 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Exit to the Saw Mill River Parkway...

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0286 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0287 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0289 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

End of I-684 , exiting onto I-287 West

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0291 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0292 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Downtown White Plains in the Distance

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0294 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0296 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Newer part of I-287

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0297 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0299 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

I-87 Interchange...

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0300 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

I87/287 West...

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0301 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0302 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0303 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0305 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Tappan Zee Bridge....

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0307 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0308 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0309 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0310 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0313 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #6395
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
Dude, I'm on your side. I don't like sprawl, either, and I fought it hard for several years. But you said that there was a twenty lane freeway in downtown Atlanta, and there isn't.

Last edited by Tom 958; January 28th, 2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: corrected html fail
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #6396
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post

The Big Dig is cool, but I kinda wish I had the chance to drive the green monster with the amazing views it must have given of downtown.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:54 AM   #6397
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
#1 rule for roads is that they'll always be congested. the NJT could be expanded to an ungodly 24 lanes and it would still be congested. this project is an embarrassment to NJ.
I never thought about it that way, but that makes sense. The reason these downtown interstates are so congested is not necessarily the number of vehicles, but that most of the drivers want to get off or on the road within a relatively few exits.
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:33 AM   #6398
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for good report, Nexis. I wanna drive that route sometime too.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:32 AM   #6399
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
I remember taking this road early morning in the summer, cool drive coming from the mountains.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:14 PM   #6400
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
The Big Dig is cool, but I kinda wish I had the chance to drive the green monster with the amazing views it must have given of downtown.
I suppose so, but there are still nice views of the skyline to be had when driving up I-93 before it goes underground.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban