daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2011, 01:47 PM   #6401
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

USA...best for sprawling away houses...offices and shady retail parks...my good...i which i could drive on these highways just to feel the American's freedom we seriously dont have here on the other side...
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM   #6402
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristof View Post
USA...best for sprawling away houses...offices and shady retail parks...my good...i which i could drive on these highways just to feel the American's freedom we seriously dont have here on the other side...
In my first job after college (university), I had to drive 50 or 60 km each way (the route that was faster in the evening rush was significantly longer). In rush hours, that sort of sprawl is not fun day after day. Now I live in a near-downtown neighborhood of a major city, a 12-minute walk from my job, and within walking distance of lots of other things. I like driving but I don't miss having to drive every day. Both sorts of development pattern have their good points and their bad points.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:31 PM   #6403
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristof View Post
I love driving but you really lose desire when you have poor roads combined with congestion and stupid drivers. It would be nice if I didn't have to depend on my car and be able to use it just for fun not a necessity.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM   #6404
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Interstate 70 has been closed to all traffic across Missouri for over 250 miles. I-44 in Oklahoma is also closed for the next 96 hours due to snow storms.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:04 AM   #6405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An interesting recently completed bridge project in Kansas City was the replacement of the I-29 Paseo Bridge across the Missouri River by the new Bond Bridge. The new bridge has 6 lanes opposed to the old 4-lanes, and eliminates one of the relatively few bottlenecks in the area.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:12 PM   #6406
bogdymol
bogdymod

I found some interesting pics of US interstate highways shot during this days:

A sign on I-70 and Pittman Road in Independence, Mo. alerts drivers that I-70 is closed East of I-470 Tuesday evening following a day of blowing snow closed much of I-70 between Kansas City and St. Louis on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011. Kansas City Star / John Sleezer

A vehicle is overturned along Interstate 680 in Omaha, Neb., Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011. AP / Nati Harnik

A car landed vertically in a snowbank after a multiple vehicle accident on Interstate 93 during a snow storm north of Salem, N.H. No one was injured. The Eagle-Tribune / Tim Jean

A a group of people stop along Interstate 91 to help push a car out of a snow bank during a winter storm in Windsor, Conn., Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011. AP / Jessica Hill

Dallas Fire and Rescue workers try to contain Diesel fuel that leaked from a jackknifed 18-wheeler Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011 in the northbound lanes of Interstate 35E. Traffic was stopped in both directions after several 18-wheelers either jackknifed of came to a total stop on ice covered interstate near Pleasant Run Road. The Dallas Morning News / Jim Mahoney

All pictures were taken from here

Some more pictures of US non-interstate routes are here.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #6407
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 10 in Houston (Katy Freeway) before and after widening:

Old February 5th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #6408
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 45

I-80 connecting with I-15 and Utah 201 in Salt Lake City.

By FreewayBrent
s.p.hansen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #6409
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I love driving but you really lose desire when you have poor roads combined with congestion and stupid drivers. It would be nice if I didn't have to depend on my car and be able to use it just for fun not a necessity.
I want to drive when I want to, not when I need to. I wish I could take a train to work, the airport, concerts and other venues.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #6410
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Exactly! It would be nice to go to the club or a party and be able to drink and not worry who will drive. Be nice to be able to take a train to the nice downtown's in my metro and not drive a broken road network. At least you guys in Texas have great roads, I miss the roads in Dallas.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #6411
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I want to drive when I want to, not when I need to. I wish I could take a train to work, the airport, concerts and other venues.
I think that is the most true statement I have read in a while.
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #6412
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I think that is the most true statement I have read in a while.
except that those who don't want to drive usually want the 88% of adult Americans who use cars regularly to pay, fund and subsidize massively financially-burden PT systems out of their willingness not to be obliged to drive.
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #6413
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
except that those who don't want to drive usually want the 88% of adult Americans who use cars regularly to pay, fund and subsidize massively financially-burden PT systems out of their willingness not to be obliged to drive.
PT is a tiny compared to what else states subsidize and the smart growth that comes form PT is a good return..... 88% of Americans is shrinking....as my generation is moving towards PT and Urban living....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #6414
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2090

Quote:
It's how a normal country usually works. Everyone pays for everything, even for services they don't use... it seems fair to me. That's why I like German Autobahns which are tax-funded and I don't like Italian ones.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #6415
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's how a normal country usually works. Everyone pays for everything, even for services they don't use...
I agree in principle, but it is not meant as a free hand to spend as much money without ever looking at the returns or necessity...

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; February 11th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #6416
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2090

Agreed, Chris.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #6417
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
PT is a tiny compared to what else states subsidize and the smart growth that comes form PT is a good return..... 88% of Americans is shrinking....as my generation is moving towards PT and Urban living....
Apparently US Census Bureau and BEA disagrees with your far-reaching statements.

This being said, important issue here is that the reason by which public transportation subsidies are so low in US is, exactly, because their usage is too low to make a dent on budgets.

But this is far from an American-only issue: the worst that could happen to most urban transit systems (long-distance medium or high-speed rail operates under some different set of premises) is to have their ridership increased to the point it requires more vehicles and a larger payroll to run, as many PT systems are inherited flawed on their financial design and will never be able to reach profitability unless massive, once-in-a-lifetime assumptions about household incomes, expectations of mobility or else changes.

New York City cannot break even with its MTA, and we are talking about the metro are with the highest per-capita income in US and the higher transit usage in North America. If NYC cannot balance its PT authority's books, no other American city can.
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #6418
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Well, the small number of adult Americans who don't drive are helping pay for their roads, and - everyone always forgets this - making their travels easier by reducing traffic a little (or a lot, in some places)....
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #6419
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Apparently US Census Bureau and BEA disagrees with your far-reaching statements.
I'm not sure about that: 2010 numbers are starting to come out and cities that have been losing population for decades - such as Newark, of all places - gained over the last decade. We can't go on paving over the countryside indefinitely. And I wonder how many people actually choose 30- or 40-mile commutes as opposed to just having no alternative.
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #6420
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Any non-toll highways that have made a profit?
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban