daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #6601
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I-39 is hardly "unnecessary". It allows traffic in many directions to avoid the Chicago area.

I-57 is a major long-distance freight route.
By hoosier's criteria, those are unnecessary.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #6602
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post

US-287 Amarillo-Bowie and US-81 Bowie-DFW. Perhaps, I would number it I-34. In addition I would extend I-27 to Limon, CO along US-287, creating a link between Denver and the DFW area.

I like this idea.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #6603
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Alabama plans to replace 2-mile section of I-65 in Hoover and rebuild ramps at I-459 and U.S. 31
Published: Monday, March 14, 2011, 10:50 AM Updated: Monday, March 14, 2011, 12:14 PM

By Ginny MacDonald -- The Birmingham News
Workers began putting up construction signs today along Interstate 65 where a two-mile section of the road will be rebuilt between I-459 and U.S. 31 in Hoover/Vestavia Hills.

The $21 million contract will include the replacement of ramps on I-459 and 31, but not redesigning them, Alabama Department of Transportation Director John Cooper told Jefferson County legislators Monday.

The ramps will be closed during the work and detours will be along U.S. 31. Transportation officials and the contractor are working out a time-frame for the detours to be announced later.

Work is supposed be completed by Dec. 16.

ALDOT has tried to repair the section of concrete interstate for years.

"It is the worst section of interstate that we have," said Birmingham Division Engineer Brian Davis.

The work will entail removing the 52-foot long sections of concrete which are eight inches thick and re-enforced with steel and replacing them with shorter sections of plain concrete that will be 14 inches thick, Davis said.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #6604
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post

What the need of the I-69 extention from Indianapolis to Evansville?. Is there enough traffic to warrant an interstate connection.

If you have an issue with how federal road dollars are being spent, then take it up with your representatives and senators.
Indianapolis and Evansville have no direct road connection, are located in the same state (unlike Birmingham and Memphis), are the first and fourth largest cities in the state of Indiana, and most importantly, the extension is BEING BUILT ENTIRELY WITH STATE FUNDS- proceeds from the lease of the Indiana Toll Road.

Last edited by hoosier; March 15th, 2011 at 04:04 AM.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #6605
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
By hoosier's criteria, those are unnecessary.
I do not, nor have I ever, lived in Illinois, so why you are giving me crap about the interstates in another state is beyond me.

Besides, Illinois has more people in much less land area than Alabama and Tennessee combined- I think it warrants greater freeway density.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #6606
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I guess the Interstate designation is less important than the fact it has to be a 2x2 grade-separated route. Of course, including it on the Interstate list means federal money available..

Now if one asks me about major Interstate links (not only metropolitan ones) I think US still misses most, I'd go for the following alignments:

I also have my dream unfeasible lists of highway projects, like some SE-NW highway all the way from Oregon to New Mexico via NV and UT.
Do you have any idea how much it would cost to build all of those roads? You could build a vast HSR network with the tracks built of gold and diamond for the amount of money it would cost to construct your useless roads.
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #6607
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Indianapolis and Evansville have no direct road connection, are located in the same state (unlike Birmingham and Memphis), are the first and fourth largest cities in the state of Indiana, and most importantly, the extension is BEING BUILT ENTIRELY WITH STATE FUNDS- proceeds from the lease of the Indiana Toll Road.
That all very nice, but you didnt answer the question. Is there enough traffic to warrant an interstate connect between Indianapolis and Evansville?.
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #6608
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
I do not, nor have I ever, lived in Illinois, so why you are giving me crap about the interstates in another state is beyond me.

Besides, Illinois has more people in much less land area than Alabama and Tennessee combined- I think it warrants greater freeway density.
If it's beyond you, there's nothing that can be done to help you.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6609
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Feel sort of like I'm watching a train wreck here....
Just sayin'.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #6610
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
That all very nice, but you didnt answer the question. Is there enough traffic to warrant an interstate connect between Indianapolis and Evansville?.
The portion of I-69 that will connect Bloomington and Indianapolis absolutely has enough traffic on the existing road to warrant an upgrade to a limited access freeway. The portion from Bloomington to Evansville is an unknown since people can take a number of different routes between those cities. There are quite a few students from Evansville that attend Indiana University in Bloomington.

And since this road is being built with state funds, it should not be of any concern to a resident of another state. My concern with all of these southern roads is they are being financed with federal funds from wealthy donor states that have plenty of their own highway needs.
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6611
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
The portion of I-69 that will connect Bloomington and Indianapolis absolutely has enough traffic on the existing road to warrant an upgrade to a limited access freeway. The portion from Bloomington to Evansville is an unknown since people can take a number of different routes between those cities. There are quite a few students from Evansville that attend Indiana University in Bloomington.

And since this road is being built with state funds, it should not be of any concern to a resident of another state. My concern with all of these southern roads is they are being financed with federal funds from wealthy donor states that have plenty of their own highway needs.
You mean the federal funds that states have to match a certain percentage of?. Where are all these southern roads that are being financed?. You make it sound like there is a new highway opening up every week.
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #6612
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Feel sort of like I'm watching a train wreck here....
Just sayin'.
Yeah, nothing like a good old-fashioned roadgeek catfight!

A few observations:

The US's highway system may not be finished, but it is mature. We all like to draw lines on maps, but the heroic days of actually building entire new intercity motorways on new alignments are pretty much over, I-69 in Indiana and I-85 and I-959 in Alabama (if they're actually fully built, which I doubt they will be) being anomalies introduced by odd, one-off funding opportunities.

Interstate designation isn't the unmitigated boon that it once was. IIRC, ISTEA, adopted twenty years ago, changed the maximum Federal match for Interstate construction from 90% to 80%, and for NHS corridors from 75% to the same 80%.

What does that entail on the ground? Well, consider Mississippi's situation. They built most of what will soon become I-22 as a freeway, but not to Interstate standards-- it was built with substandard signage and shoulders that were graded but neither paved nor graveled, presumably after careful cost/benefit analysis. Bringing the existing road up to Interstate standards has been/will be rather more expensive and disruptive than it would've been to do initially, and of relatively little value. (BTW, FWIW, I think the Memphis-Birmingham corridor should've been in the Interstate system from Day One)

For the I-69 corridor, getting I-69 from the Arkansas border to the newly-built Memphis outer belt will require massive upgrade or replacement of the existing four-lane US 61, which is surely already adequate for the traffic it carries. And... the new Interstate, once built, won't achieve its intended utility until the corridor from Shreveport to the MS-AS line is completed... when? Both Arkansas and Louisiana have other priorities, including the I-49 corridor in both states, in addition to the increasing cost of maintaining their legacy road systems. Where will the money come from?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #6613
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Did I-22 used to not be labeled as boldly on Google Maps/Earth as it is now? I was looking at it for the first time in a while and it stood out like I don't recall it used to doing.

Also, the region in which I-69 would traverse, SE Arkansas, is significantly declining in population and economic activity. That would either be a very good, or very bad reason to build it.

Last edited by zaphod; April 2nd, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #6614
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

I-696 in Detroit IMO the best drive in the metro when traffic is flowing.

urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #6615
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

That's some visibly bad pavement. And it's still the smoothest road in Michigan.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:54 PM   #6616
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

I-95 South in North Philly...

image hosted on flickr
DSC04083 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
DSC04084 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
DSC04086 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
DSC04087 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
DSC04089 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
DSC04090 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
DSC04092 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6617
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I know it well....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:49 PM   #6618
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I know it well....
North Philly needs to be demolished , it looks worse then Baltimore , Newark and the Bronx combined..
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:16 PM   #6619
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
North Philly needs to be demolished , it looks worse then Baltimore , Newark and the Bronx combined..
I meant I know that stretch of 95 well. And that area (I mean the immediate area 95 runs through, right along the river) is becoming hip, and parts of Baltimore are pretty bad.... :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:57 AM   #6620
Brumtonian
Hello

Likes (Received): 4

I'm not trying to insult anyone but why do American roads always look as though they need a good resurfacing? Whenever i do a random jump into street view the roads have always got cracks all over them is it a funding issue?

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban