daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM   #6621
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

The ones that look like that are the concrete highways. They only look bad. They are not perfect but not terrible either, I guess they use concrete because it's much stronger and durable than asphalt but of course not as smooth. Concrete roads are much more expensive but they don't need any maintenance for 10-15 years or more

Last edited by Botev1912; April 1st, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM   #6622
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I meant I know that stretch of 95 well. And that area (I mean the immediate area 95 runs through, right along the river) is becoming hip, and parts of Baltimore are pretty bad.... :-P
I had to go up Board to one of Tempe Univ , and was horrid. Then on the way back on the Trenton line , it wasn't any better intill you got into NJ.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:30 PM   #6623
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I had to go up Board to one of Tempe Univ , and was horrid. Then on the way back on the Trenton line , it wasn't any better intill you got into NJ.
Well, yes, obviously one train ride would make you an authority on the area....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM   #6624
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well, yes, obviously one train ride would make you an authority on the area....
Highway / Train ride , i did go to Center city and Southern area and loved it....but the Northern area left a mark on me.....when you get off the expressway your greeting to a broken building landscape....one would think the city would clean things up...
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM   #6625
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Highway / Train ride , i did go to Center city and Southern area and loved it....but the Northern area left a mark on me.....when you get off the expressway your greeting to a broken building landscape....one would think the city would clean things up...
Please. It's that bad along the Trenton line until you get into New Jersey? You do realize that a good 15 miles of the Trenton line is in the suburbs (Bucks County, specifically), and when you get into New Jersey, you're in Trenton? I know very few people who consider Trenton an improvement over Bucks County....

But seriously, what you're seeing there is the death of American manufacturing. Philadelphia was once the biggest manufacturing city in the country. All those abandoned factories are a problem, no doubt about it. But I think you're vastly overstating the extent of it. (Many of the neighborhoods along 95 even in the city of Philadelphia are still fairly healthy working-class neighborhoods - the sort of place one goes for good Polish food - and close to Center City they're gentrifying, although I dislike that word.) Like people who judge New Jersey (my native state, by the way) by what they see on the Turnpike from Linden north.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; April 1st, 2011 at 06:52 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:37 PM   #6626
Brumtonian
Hello

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912
The ones that look like that are the concrete highways. They only look bad. They are not perfect but not terrible either, I guess they use concrete because it's much stronger and durable than asphalt but of course not as smooth. Concrete roads are much more expensive but they don't need any maintenance for 10-15 years or more
Good point substance over style!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:14 AM   #6627
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Ohio has excellent road surfaces.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:04 AM   #6628
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and many parts of Washington State have excellent surfaces as well
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:08 AM   #6629
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
I-696 in Detroit IMO the best drive in the metro when traffic is flowing.

Is there any specific reason (like it carrying a heavy load) for that truck you see at around 3:55 to have 24 wheels?
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:47 AM   #6630
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumtonian View Post
I'm not trying to insult anyone but why do American roads always look as though they need a good resurfacing? Whenever i do a random jump into street view the roads have always got cracks all over them is it a funding issue?
Lack of funding plays a role but harsh climate is also a reason.

With some exceptions, the best roads in the US are in the warmer parts of the country, like the Southwest.

Right now, the roads here are pothole ridden.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:14 AM   #6631
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
Is there any specific reason (like it carrying a heavy load) for that truck you see at around 3:55 to have 24 wheels?
It's a Michigan train, bro:

Now, that's a man's truck (or as the English say, "lorry").

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...111--F,00.html

Quote:
Roads

I have heard that Michigan truck weight laws are the most liberal in the nation. Is this true?

Answer:
Michigan permits trucks up to 164,000 pounds on the system. However, different than other states, Michigan requires a lower weight per axle which more evenly distributes the load and reduces wear and tear on roads. MDOT engineers have thoroughly studied this issue and the result of this research is that heavier trucks do not cause a disproportionate amount of damage as long as the weight is evenly distributed over an appropriate number of axles. Additionally, trucks over 80,000 pounds make up only less than 5% of all trucks operating on our roads. If Michigan were to reduce it's truck weight laws to 80,000 pounds, more damage to the system may occur because of the need to put more trucks on the road. More trucks on the road raise serious questions concerning safety and traffic congestion. Several other states are currently looking at Michigan's axle weight laws and are considering adopting similar laws.
Not sure I'd buy all of that that. The road surfaces here are pretty shit. Big trucks, freeze-thaw winters, greedy trade unions, and a broke state government can't be a good combination though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
I-696 in Detroit IMO the best drive in the metro when traffic is flowing.

My exit is at 3:20.

Last edited by Paddington; April 2nd, 2011 at 04:29 AM.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:35 AM   #6632
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Those make 18 wheelers look like SMART Cars in comparison.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM   #6633
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Ya gotta be especially watchful of those oversized rigs in Da YuPee - they are maniacal on those two-laners away from the Wisconsin state line!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #6634
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
For some reason I love seeing Interstate highways multiplexed with U.S. Highways. An Interstate seems naked without the U.S. on or hanging nearby...
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #6635
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #6636
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The portion of I-69 that will connect Bloomington and Indianapolis absolutely has enough traffic on the existing road to warrant an upgrade to a limited access freeway. The portion from Bloomington to Evansville is an unknown since people can take a number of different routes between those cities. There are quite a few students from Evansville that attend Indiana University in Bloomington.

And since this road is being built with state funds, it should not be of any concern to a resident of another state. My concern with all of these southern roads is they are being financed with federal funds from wealthy donor states that have plenty of their own highway needs.
Politically, it's a lot easier to build new freeways in the South than it is in the North.

It doesn't matter so much that the parts of Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas before Houston that I-69 will go through are sparsely populated; that's not the point of the highway, anyway. The highway connects the most important cargo centers in the center of the country, and this is why it is being built.

Rio Grande Valley - largest port of entry from Mexico

Houston - busiest port by foreign tonnage in the United States, second busiest port in total tonnage, and the fifteenth largest port on the planet

Memphis - Memphis International Airport is the largest cargo airport in the world, a large port on the Mississippi River

Evansville - significant regional distribution center, home to many corporate headquarters, including Atlas Van Lines

It wasn't called the NAFTA Superhighway for nothing. The only other highway that was so focused on economic benefits was the I-70 extension west from Denver, or some of the BS spurs that mainly serve as an offramp to some corporate center (I'm looking at you, I-180 Wyoming and Illinois)
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #6637
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
When looking a map of this location I also noticed that I-70 takes an odd route. Even for people taking I-35 north or I-29, the connection is still better from I-670. I'm not sure about demolishing the road since it's already there, but at least switch the naming so I-70 flows better.
(KC's Downtown loop)
I-70 would only have 1 through lane with either route. I-35 also gets down to 1 through lane at the northern corners of the loop. The whole downtown loop needs rebuilt badly since there are dozens of dangerous ramps where lanes enter and exit within a few car lengths and they need to make it so the interstates have 2-3 through lanes.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #6638
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 45

This is part of a 1.7 billion dollar freeway project in Utah County (part of the Salt Lake City metro area). The project is a design-build rebuild of an entire 24 mile section of I-15. Most of the road will have 5-6 concrete lanes going each way and completely new bridges.

http://www.i15core.utah.gov/InteractiveMap/
http://www.i15core.utah.gov/project_information.php

UDOT makes history with American Fork bridge move

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...idge-move.html

AMERICAN FORK — The so-called Super Bowl of bridge moving took place Saturday night without commercial interruption but plenty of fanfare.

More than 1,100 people watched as self-propelled modular transporters put in place the 354-foot, 3.8 million-pound Sam White Bridge — the longest two-span bridge ever moved in the Western Hemisphere...

Crews prepare the transport equipment as UDOT will closes I-15 in both directions at American Fork to allow for the move of the giant Sam White Bridge. This is considered to be the largest bridge built to date in the western hemisphere using the now famous Self Propelled Modular Transporter System. Sunday, March 27, 2011. Mike Terry, Deseret News (Mike Terry, Deseret News)

..."We've kind of made the connection with the Super Bowl experience," Bryce Jaynes, the accelerated bridge construction project engineer for UDOT, said prior to the move. "We're basically moving a Super Bowl field up there, and we're moving it in a matter of hours."...

Mike Terry, Deseret News

Mike Terry, Deseret News.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; April 6th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
s.p.hansen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #6639
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
(KC's Downtown loop)
I-70 would only have 1 through lane with either route. I-35 also gets down to 1 through lane at the northern corners of the loop. The whole downtown loop needs rebuilt badly since there are dozens of dangerous ramps where lanes enter and exit within a few car lengths and they need to make it so the interstates have 2-3 through lanes.
Yea it does need redone. I almost smashed up some old caddie who didnt get into the 1 lane of I-35 Northbound if I had not completely stopped. I-70 which I have now driven in rush hour is not packed with traffic. I just want it gone.
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #6640
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Politically, it's a lot easier to build new freeways in the South than it is in the North.

It doesn't matter so much that the parts of Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas before Houston that I-69 will go through are sparsely populated; that's not the point of the highway, anyway. The highway connects the most important cargo centers in the center of the country, and this is why it is being built.

Rio Grande Valley - largest port of entry from Mexico

Houston - busiest port by foreign tonnage in the United States, second busiest port in total tonnage, and the fifteenth largest port on the planet

Memphis - Memphis International Airport is the largest cargo airport in the world, a large port on the Mississippi River

Evansville - significant regional distribution center, home to many corporate headquarters, including Atlas Van Lines

It wasn't called the NAFTA Superhighway for nothing. The only other highway that was so focused on economic benefits was the I-70 extension west from Denver, or some of the BS spurs that mainly serve as an offramp to some corporate center (I'm looking at you, I-180 Wyoming and Illinois)
Not to mention that I-69 was designed to take some of the load off of I-35 which is extremely congested from San Antonio to Dallas because of the large amount of truck traffic.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban