daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #6641
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

At the rate it's going, I don't think I-69 will be completed 20 years from now.

The main reason why this is being constructed is to connect Texas and Mexico with Michigan and Ontario directly, both being major trade chokepoints.

i.e: the NAFTA superhighway.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6642
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1980

The first four level interchange in the ozarks (Springfield, MO) at US 60/65 interchange.

The longer flyover is 2,019 feet long and is now the longest bridge in southwest missouri.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #6643
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Wrong thread. There's one for non-interstates: [USA] United States Non-Interstate Roads and Highways.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #6644
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Wrong thread. There's one for non-interstates: [USA] United States Non-Interstate Roads and Highways.
Its part of the future I-66
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #6645
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
Its part of the future I-66
Hopefully I-66 will get built, all of it!
The section that will run through my hometown had their last meeting in 2007. People there thinks that it's a dead project, meanwhile further west in South Central Kentucky there are still future I-66 shields up. I don't know whats going on with this project anymore.

http://www.interstate66.com/
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #6646
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
Hopefully I-66 will get built, all of it!
The section that will run through my hometown had their last meeting in 2007. People there thinks that it's a dead project, meanwhile further west in South Central Kentucky there are still future I-66 shields up. I don't know whats going on with this project anymore.

http://www.interstate66.com/

I had no idea it was supposed to get farther west than it does now (not that that's very far west). But frankly, I put most supposed "future interstates" strictly in the category of things-I'll-believe-when-I-see-them.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #6647
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Texas is considering an 85 mph (138 km/h) limit:

http://autos.aol.com/article/texas-s...1_lnk2%7C55616

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #6648
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I had no idea it was supposed to get farther west than it does now (not that that's very far west). But frankly, I put most supposed "future interstates" strictly in the category of things-I'll-believe-when-I-see-them.
Well after I-99 I think anything is possible.
Heres a link to the Future I-66 signs in Southern Kentucky
http://www.kentuckyroads.com/images/..._0993.jpg.html

From my understanding it was supposed to reach Wichita eventually but I think Kansas could care less about it.

Mix this with the "Future" I-74/I-73 corridors through WV who knows how all of these are going to get built. Currently WV has already been building the Coalfields expressway which you can google earth/map Beckley, WV and follow Highway 121 SW and you can see the ROW and the existing expressway and interchanges. THEN hop over to Welch, WV and move North on the map and find the weird stretch of highway built near the prison that connects to nothing. This is where an interchange was supposed to be built for access to the prison/new intustrial park which obviously hasn't happened yet.
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #6649
Xusein

Tolls might come back to CT.

Quote:
Return of Connecticut tolls one step closer; diesel tax hike sought
By Keith Goble, Land Line state legislative editor

A Connecticut legislative panel has given the go-ahead to a bill that allows tolls on new highways or highway extensions. Other toll bills that met their demise sought to charge tolls on all drivers at the state’s borders and a separate effort that singled out truckers.

Another effort still active would have truckers chip in more to help pay for roads.

State officials removed tolls from the Connecticut Turnpike in the mid 80s. Concerns about safety and congestion spurred the state to remove toll booths that were scattered across roadways.

Facing a budget deficit of nearly $7 billion, the Legislature’s Transportation Committee voted 23-12 to advance a bill that would open the door to the revenue source. Temporary tolls would be authorized to pay for such projects as the completion of state Route 11 in southeastern Connecticut. Existing roadways would continue to be toll free.

If approved by lawmakers, the bill – HB6200 – would move to Gov. Dannel Malloy’s desk. The governor has said he wants the last eight miles of the road connecting Hartford with the southeastern part of the state to get done, and tolls are an option.

Tolls would be removed when enough toll revenue is generated to cover construction bonds and “an amount estimated to be required for maintenance and repair” is collected.

Rep. David Scribner of Brookfield, the ranking Republican on the panel, is opposed to applying tolls for any one project. He said it would create a slippery slope for reinstituting tolls throughout the state.

Scribner also addressed the public’s misperception that truckers damage Connecticut highways and often don’t even stop for fuel to compensate the state.

“There is a perception that tractor-trailer trucks that drive through Connecticut don’t share any revenue with the state. That is not accurate,” Scribner said in remarks on his web site. “They are required under federal law to maintain a log that monitors their hours and distances traveled in the state. From that information we get revenue. It goes into the Special Transportation Fund.”

He noted that Connecticut gets about $16 million annually from out-of-state truckers through IFTA.

Another option being sought relies on truckers to pay 42.6 cents per gallon in state fuel taxes. The Connecticut Motor Transport Association is lobbying to have a penny added to Gov. Malloy’s proposal to increase the diesel tax by 2 cents per gallon.

The state already applies a 39.6-cent-per-gallon tax on diesel. The state’s gas tax is 41.6 cents.

In return, the truckers group wants a break elsewhere. Connecticut lawmakers are looking at ending a property tax exemption that saves the state’s trucking companies millions of dollars each year.

CMTA President Mike Riley is hopeful lawmakers will keep the exemption intact in exchange for an extra penny in diesel taxes.

“The fuel tax can be passed through in fuel adjustments. That is an understandable cost of doing business that truckers can explain to their customers,” Riley told Land Line Now. “There is no such thing as a good tax, but some taxes aren’t as bad as others.”

To view other legislative activities of interest for Connecticut, click here.

Editor’s Note: Please share your thoughts with us about the topic included in this story. Comments may be sent to [email protected].

Land Line Now Staff Reporter Reed Black contributed to this report.

Copyright © OOIDA
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne...41111-03.shtml
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #6650
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Kind of off-topic, but does anybody know if the leaves will be on the trees by next weekend or so in Pittsburgh? I am planning a roadtrip and am curious. Thanks.
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #6651
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Kind of off-topic, but does anybody know if the leaves will be on the trees by next weekend or so in Pittsburgh? I am planning a roadtrip and am curious. Thanks.
Can't speak to leaves particularly, but my sinuses and I can tell you that spring (flowering trees, notably) is well under way in Philadelphia. We may be slightly warmer than Pittsburgh as a general rule, but I believe they've been having warmer weather than us lately. Enjoy the trip.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #6652
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:

That should be the default for all rural Interstates.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #6653
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I don't know about that: you could define I-95 in northeastern Maryland as a rural Interstate, but traffic can be pretty heavy....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #6654
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
That should be the default for all rural Interstates.
AGREE! I drive that fast on rurals anyway.
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #6655
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
But the thing is, there are just not that many new expressways going to be built in CT in the future. This proposal will just be a phantom. Most places in the state have already been penetrated by expressways with only a few spot left in the State, where the expressways were planned but have never been built. Anything that is new will be either upgrade / widen existing state roadways, or just short extension of existing expressways.

Doubt this short new segments are going to have toll on them.
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #6656
EricIsHim

Quote:

Which means people are going to drive 95-100 mph versus 90-95 now, and get the speeding ticket when the speedometer hits 110 instead 100. May as well just make it the AutoBahn of the US.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #6657
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
But the thing is, there are just not that many new expressways going to be built in CT in the future. This proposal will just be a phantom. Most places in the state have already been penetrated by expressways with only a few spot left in the State, where the expressways were planned but have never been built. Anything that is new will be either upgrade / widen existing state roadways, or just short extension of existing expressways.

The Tolls will be used for taking care of the Highway system , Replacing Bridges , and expanding the Transit system. Since the Feds are being neglectful once again , many states are turning to Tolls.....which isn't a bad thing since things tend to move faaster.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #6658
Xusein

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post

True. Not much highways will be added in the future. Other than the Route 11 missing link and the Route 72 extension into Bristol, I don't know of any other real projects since most of the state is adequately covered by expressways.

However I think this is just a front since we all know that Route 11 will never be crowded enough to justify tolls in the first place. It's in the middle of nowhere. Their real plan is eventually put tolls on the state borders so they can capture money from the cars from neighboring states that toll us through the nose but drive free on our highways. I have heard this being discussed before and doing this will make it easier for this eventual plan to happen.
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #6659
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
I don't know about that: you could define I-95 in northeastern Maryland as a rural Interstate, but traffic can be pretty heavy....
I still say make it 85. Traffic will do its own thing and slow everyone down just like it does in a 65 zone. One thing I've noticed on freeways at least here in Texas is that there are still a lot of people that like to cruise way below the speed limit. I look over and wonder if they're on drugs, not paying attention or what. Speed Limit in the city is 65 and they're lounging in the slow lane doing 50.

When I was much younger my perception was that everyone was itching to drive fast, frustratingly it seems that slow drivers really screw up the flow of a freeway.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #6660
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The Tolls will be used for taking care of the Highway system , Replacing Bridges , and expanding the Transit system. Since the Feds are being neglectful once again , many states are turning to Tolls.....which isn't a bad thing since things tend to move faaster.
In reality, it should be, but not in Connecticut. The toll proposed are supposed to only provide maintenance and other operational support for the infrastructure itself. These money in talk now are not supposed to go out to fund other infrastructures around the State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
True. Not much highways will be added in the future. Other than the Route 11 missing link and the Route 72 extension into Bristol, I don't know of any other real projects since most of the state is adequately covered by expressways.

However I think this is just a front since we all know that Route 11 will never be crowded enough to justify tolls in the first place. It's in the middle of nowhere. Their real plan is eventually put tolls on the state borders so they can capture money from the cars from neighboring states that toll us through the nose but drive free on our highways. I have heard this being discussed before and doing this will make it easier for this eventual plan to happen.
There is also the missing piece of "Super 7" between north Norwalk and south Danbury. Amongst all, this piece is probably the most critical.

Anyways, the "real thing" have been in fire for a while, and turned off for a few times. The most recent one was last year, rejected just before this new proposal came out.
The whole loop conclusions have been
1. Toll booth is going to be dangerous, and people/the DOT is afraid the 1983 tragedy will happen again. So toll booths are not going to be built at the boarder again.
2. EZ-Pass or similar electronic tag is going to track where people go, and will be in violation of privacy, so the politicians are objecting to the touch-free high speed technology.

At the end, I just don't see toll highways will come back in CT in a fashion as they do in other states. Gas tax will still be the big part of the income source to fund transportation infrastructures in the State.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban