daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #6681
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
You make it sound as if there is a concrete plan. Connecticut politics works as slow as molasses on these kinds of things. The nickname of this state is "The Land of Steady Habits". Last time I checked, they were STILL working on the planning arrangements that New Britain-Hartford busway. I knew about that plan since the late nineties, lol. And I doubt the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield commuter rail plan will be done in this decade.

I honestly don't mind paying like a dollar for a toll if I am leaving the state. As a consequence of not having tolls, CT has among the highest gas taxes in the country. Just across the border in Massachusetts where they have tolls all over the place, they pay almost 30 cents on gas less than us.
Exactly, I guess this is the thing only the local knows more about, and raise the different opinions. I am all in support with toll in CT, the money has to come from somewhere to maintain the roads, promote public transport, or simply keep the DOT running. But making toll comes back in CT will just be a miracle.

By the way, Xusein, the busway planning is done, designed, and will begin construction soon, but it will just take another decade to finish it after a 15+ year of talking.

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #6682
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I still say make it 85. Traffic will do its own thing and slow everyone down just like it does in a 65 zone. One thing I've noticed on freeways at least here in Texas is that there are still a lot of people that like to cruise way below the speed limit. I look over and wonder if they're on drugs, not paying attention or what. Speed Limit in the city is 65 and they're lounging in the slow lane doing 50.

When I was much younger my perception was that everyone was itching to drive fast, frustratingly it seems that slow drivers really screw up the flow of a freeway.
Did you ever see this video of the group of people in Atlanta that got together and DID the posted 55mph speed limit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox...eature=related
Old April 16th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #6683
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Check out this jaw-dropping video about the I-820 overhaul in Fort Worth, Texas.

Keep in mind the current freeway is nothing more than a 4-lane Interstate.

Screendump:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #6684
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
In what way toll booths are dangerous? There are plenty of them in Europe and I never heard they are particular safety hazard. What happened in 1983?

Well, don't generalize about Europe. In Poland we complain how our drivers are and how they keep hogging the left lane, on Irish forum locals complain about Irish hogging right lane (overtaking lane in Ireland) etc. It seems like grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

But I do agree that lane discipline is particularly bad in the US. I remember driving I-15 from LA to Vegas on Friday evening few years ago. It is busy but flow of traffic would be much faster if people moved back to the right after overtaking. It is especially important on 2x2 rural freeways.
To defend American drivers I have to say lane discipline is much more complicated on urban freeways with 4 or more lanes in each directions with multiple exits an mergers in short distance. That's where majority of drivers drive a lot and they develop habits of keeping off right lanes as they are used mostly by merging and exiting drivers. Then they keep driving that way on 2x2 rural freeways.

70-75 is way to slow for me on rural freeways. I get bored and distracted. Here in UK I drive in 80-90 range even in much heavier traffic. Not only me, plenty of people do so.
Obviously accident at 80 is more dangerous than at 60. But accident at 60 is more dangerous than accident at 40 etc. Where do we strike the balance?
People should remember that speed limit is not a target. If it's wet, visibility is bad or traffic is heavy, you just slow down. On German autobahns there are plenty of stretches with no limit and it is still country with one of the safest roads on earth. They do put limits where they needed and enforce them. Some states in the US could go that way. I remember that few years ago Montana didn't have limits on its freeways. Such solution makes perfect sense in sparsely populated states. When I drove in Dakotas or Nebraska I was thinking about it. Drop the universal limits on freeways and introduce local speed limits in urban areas or in some places with steep grades or tight curves.
The problem of hogging the left lane (or right lane in some countries) comes from drivers being too nice. In Pakistan if I see that I'll honk till he ****** moves out of the way or flash my lights. Also, when I'm too pissed I'd tailgate within an inch or two and honk and the driver in the front usually pisses his pants (seen that in UAE too). I won't recommed that though, but it should be fair game to honk or flash the lights. The only thing I've seen in the US (although pretty rare) is drivers moving a bit to the left so the driver in the front can see them in the left mirror.

I really don't understand why honking or flashing the lights is such a taboo in most countries. IT works perfectly fine.
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #6685
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Also, when I'm too pissed I'd tailgate within an inch or two and honk and the driver in the front usually pisses his pants (seen that in UAE too).
In my opinion, behaving such way you put yourself to category even worse than left lane hoggers. Road *******s. Sorry mate, it's damn dangerous and stupid.

Quote:
The only thing I've seen in the US (although pretty rare) is drivers moving a bit to the left so the driver in the front can see them in the left mirror.
Better that than tailgating.

Quote:
I really don't understand why honking or flashing the lights is such a taboo in most countries. IT works perfectly fine.
For some reason in countries where such practices are used the most (Africa, Asia etc) roads are the most dangerous. I guess why.
Don't want to sound racist but I have feeling you would love driving in India
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #6686
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
In my opinion, behaving such way you put yourself to category even worse than left lane hoggers. Road *******s. Sorry mate, it's damn dangerous and stupid.

Better that than tailgating.

For some reason in countries where such practices are used the most (Africa, Asia etc) roads are the most dangerous. I guess why.
Don't want to sound racist but I have feeling you would love driving in India
How do honking and flashing the headlights make the roads dangerous?
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6687
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Aggressive drivers are more likely to be in car crashes.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #6688
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Aggressive drivers are more likely to be in car crashes.
Exactly, you can scare/stress the driver in front and he/she will do something stupid. Especially if, as you said, you are tailgating as well. Such behavior is against the law in most of the civilized countries. And for a reason. It is no coincidence that countries with the most polite drivers have the safest roads.
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #6689
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
It is no coincidence that countries with the most polite drivers have the safest roads.
The US traffic fatality rate is about double that of Western European countries when compared to the number of inhabitants. Though this disregards possible differences in vehicle miles, it is still significant. The U.S. traffic safety is similar to that of the worst performing European countries (Lithuania, Poland, Bulgaria, etc.) It's even more remarkable if you consider that European speed limits tend to be higher, especially on freeways.
Old April 17th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #6690
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The US traffic fatality rate is about double that of Western European countries when compared to the number of inhabitants. Though this disregards possible differences in vehicle miles, it is still significant. The U.S. traffic safety is similar to that of the worst performing European countries (Lithuania, Poland, Bulgaria, etc.) It's even more remarkable if you consider that European speed limits tend to be higher, especially on freeways.
That only confirms that speed limits on freeways don't influence road safety as much as some people think. Especially that most fatal accidents happens on smaller roads. Freeways/autobahns are the safest roads around even without speed limits, like for example in Germany.
Old April 17th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #6691
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, calculated by miles traveled, American Interstate Highways have approximately 40% more fatalities than German Autobahns.
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #6692
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Exactly, you can scare/stress the driver in front and he/she will do something stupid. Especially if, as you said, you are tailgating as well. Such behavior is against the law in most of the civilized countries. And for a reason. It is no coincidence that countries with the most polite drivers have the safest roads.
I can tell you with conviction that fatality rate (deaths/1000 kms) in Pakistan is way lower than any of the Western countries. I don't know why you'd assume that it'd be higher. If everyone drives like a maniac and breaks the law, the roads actually become SAFER. You really won't undersatnd that until you actually drive for a long time in such conditions. But the reason is simple, you're always looking out for anything that could go wrong. Here's an example - try driving in the wrong direction on a highway in the US, it'll result in a big pile-up. In Pakistan it won't, coz we EXPECT that. Same for running a red light or not stopping at a stop sign. Having said that, I don't condone breaking traffic laws (nor have I ever done that in Pakistan), not coz it's safer (it's actually more unsafe) to follow rules, but coz it's efficient (in Pakistan it'd take you much longer to travel the same distance). I have no issues with breaking speed limits, maniacal driving or tailgating though as none of that is inefficient.

Also, I asked you about honking not tailgating. Honking has nothing to do with aggression or unsafe (as you put it) driving.
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #6693
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
One thing: isn't flashing lights to get people out of your way (if they're in the left lane) common and accepted practice in Germany? If not, ignore this post, but if it is, I think that contradicts the politeness-correlates-to-fewer-fatalities hypothesis. At least if we count flashing lights as impoliteness. (Underline "think." I just woke up from a nice nap and my brain may still be half asleep. :-) )

But, yeah, if you're literally tailgating an inch or two behind someone and they have to stop or slow down for any reason at all you're in an accident. If I had my say, you'd lose your license.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #6694
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
One thing: isn't flashing lights to get people out of your way (if they're in the left lane) common and accepted practice in Germany? If not, ignore this post, but if it is, I think that contradicts the politeness-correlates-to-fewer-fatalities hypothesis. At least if we count flashing lights as impoliteness. (Underline "think." I just woke up from a nice nap and my brain may still be half asleep. :-) )

But, yeah, if you're literally tailgating an inch or two behind someone and they have to stop or slow down for any reason at all you're in an accident. If I had my say, you'd lose your license.
Why would flashing lights be considered impolite? Even if it is, it's less impolite than hogging the lane while talking to your BFF on the phone!
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #6695
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Yes, calculated by miles traveled, American Interstate Highways have approximately 40% more fatalities than German Autobahns.
I'd be curious to see those statistics. (Not doubting you, just curious, especially about Europe beyond Germany.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #6696
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Why would flashing lights be considered impolite? Even if it is, it's less impolite than hogging the lane while talking to your BFF on the phone!
You misunderstand me. The others seemed to be counting it as impolite. As I say, I may be half asleep.
(For the record, I'll flash if you're crawling in the passing lane, although I don't know how many Americans understand that.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6697
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Does anyone flash their high beams to warn oncoming vehicles that there are police close to that place? Usually people flash their high beams twice. I have seen that a lot in Bulgaria on two-way roads because technically you can't do it on highways. I have never seen that in USA
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #6698
sotonsi

Quote:
I can tell you with conviction that fatality rate (deaths/1000 kms) in Pakistan is way lower than any of the Western countries.
Really? Iceland is 3.9 fatalities per billion km, Ireland and the UK are 5.7 (a low value for non-little countries), Germany is 7.2, France and the Netherlands are 7.7 and the USA is 8.5.

Pakistan is 25.3 road fatalities per 100k people (compare France's 6.9 being a higher rate in Western Europe, USA's 12.3 for a high rate for the West, and the UK's 3.59 for a lower rate), which unless the average Pakistani drives about twice as far as the average American, 3 2/3 times more than the average French person, or 7 times more than the average Brit, then - per distance traveled - Pakistan has more deaths on the road.

So while you can tell us with conviction, you can't say it with any justification as it's very unlikely that it is the case that Pakistan is even in the same ball park as the USA, let alone Western European countries. The suggestion that you made of Pakistan having a 'way lower' fatality rate than any country in the West is swill not worthy to feed a pig with.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #6699
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Does anyone flash their high beams to warn oncoming vehicles that there are police close to that place? Usually people flash their high beams twice. I have seen that a lot in Bulgaria on two-way roads because technically you can't do it on highways. I have never seen that in USA
People in Washington State must be very laid back. Plenty of people (including me) do it "back East."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #6700
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban